Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images

Symetrical UQ vs Dedicated lay?

I have 2 HG Econ Incubator's. I like them very much but am going to upgrade my 20* to a 10D or 7D UQ in the near future. I am considering a Premium incubator and also a dedicated lay UQ like the Wooki.

I'm considering an Asym UQ because I dont change lay ever, and it seems like the incubator does not conform to the angled lay that well. I mean, its fine and not uncomfortable at all, but the off-side is loose and wasted fabric/insulation, while the on-side is somewhat tight against my feet. Also the asym lay with a sym quilt makes gaps more likely which makes a peoper seal more difficult in the wind. I think an Asym UQ would just conform to an asymetric lay better and be slightly more comfortable.

1. Who else besides Warbonnet makes dedicated lay/Asym UQ's?
    2. Is the Wooki wide enough / compatible with a Chameleon Wide? Any special hardware needed to adapt?
    3. For anyone who has experience with both, would you say you like the Asym more?
    4. Anything else I should be aware of going to an Asym UQ? any reason not to? (only strike against the Wooki is they only have 1 color of 10D currently, and Fern green is a tad too bright for my liking. I will only get a 7D or 10D quilt next. )
    5. It seems most cottage vendors are Comfort rated now. HG definitely is. Are Warb quilts fully comfort rated or should I step up to the next level to be toasty? (im getting a 20* comfort quilt. will 20 be good at 20?)

Edit -
    I use HG's fill as my gold standard for comfort rating. The Wab's have less, but that is probably just reduced volume from the Asym cut and they are 2" shorter.

UQs.PNG

Thanks!
    Last edited by mcimes; 06-21-2021 at 13:48.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    I believe simply light designs makes a synthetic one.

I've seen the wookie on a chameleon but not a wide.... you'd only lay as wide of an angle as the wookie. I've never found it to be restrictive as far as where I lay and is plenty wide enough.

Warbonnet quilts as for the ones I own are definitely rates for comfort.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have both styles of UQ- Loco Libre Habanero (sym) and Simply Light Designs Trail Winder (asym). I use and love both UQs, though they each have their pros/cons.

Symmetrical
    Pros: Will work with more body positions- not just lay direction. i.e.- if you sleep "figure 4" style with one knee kicked out to the side, a symmetrical UQ will provide enough insulated width to keep your leg warm.
    Provides more insulation on the sides. This is helpful for cold/windy nights. Though the sides seem like "wasted" insulation, they do help to provide a warmer micro-climate inside the hammock. Also helpful for cold sleepers.
    Can also work on a bridge hammock if desired.
    Cons: A bit more fiddly to get dialed in.
    Generally a bit heavier than asym options.

Asymmetrical
    Pros: Set it & forget it. Super easy to set up.
    Generally lighter than symmetrical, due to the insulation only being where your body lays
    Cons: Not as good for folks who move a lot during the night, or like to sleep in multiple positions, or swap their lay direction.
    May not quite as warm, due to lack of side insulation. I personally notice this.

I can't really say which style is "better." They're just different. I'd probably choose the asym style if I prefer to save weight/bulk in my pack, or if I just want something I don't have to adjust periodically. But if I think I may want to push the limit of the temp rating, I'd probably choose the symmetrical UQ.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I like to combine my ASYM TrailWinder with my (SYM - all they make) HG Burrow.

I generally just use my 20 degree TW, but if the temp concerns me I'll take my 40 degree burrow as well. With both on, it's toasty, toasty, toasty. I love this combo for early and late season camping when who knows what the temp will be since I can use either or both. The 40 also packs pretty small.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have several HG incubators and several symmetrical trail winders (synthetic under quilt made for the trail lair from Simply Light Designs). I was going to get a Wookie at one time from WB, but never did (don’t use the black bird and I lay head right—-feet left).

The incubators sometimes push up on the side for my wife’s feet, not so much for me. The symmetrical is easy to set up, less fuss and fiddle. Also, I notice the trail winder is warmer, more side coverage, better if you move around or toss and turn and definitely better for side sleeping. I also like how the trail winder has material extended past the insulation, similar to a Wookiee, going nearly to the end of the hammock, eliminates any drafts or fiddle with draft collars.

As I train myself to back sleep or move less, I would maybe switch to a symmetrical design, I prefer down over synthetic, much lighter and packable, but I like the design of the trail winder, I need that design in down, Wookie is pretty similar in asym form, I would probably prefer it in symmetrical. I mostly use a jacks r better mount washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I have had an issue with my incubators creating calf ridge in my wide chameleon as they aren’t wide enough to side to side it. When I lay diagonal the edge of my incubator is basically riding up under my calf…

I’ve tried to tie off the o loop of the incubator to the pack hooks/tie out spots on my chameleon, but unless I completely detach the opposite side of the incubator, I’ve had those tie off points fail (the grosgrain tears off of the underquilt).

I agree with you re: wasted insulation, and I wish there was an underquilt marketed specifically for wide hammocks, as the standard incubator just doesn’t get it done without major effort & tinkering & trial and error (and, in my case, repairs).

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    After sleeping in my hammock for a week straight on vacation I decided to go for an Asym Wookie XL.

I've never been dissatisfied with the sym incubator, but after contemplating the finer details in life I decided it always required some fiddling and fussing to get it hung right, tensioned right, pulled out adequately, etc.

I decided on Asym because no matter what I do it seems like the Sym quilt never wants to lay as diagonal as I do. It will slide under my shoulder of foot leading to a cold spot, so I end up putting the quilt fabric under the mitten hook pull out to widen it and hold it in place. This still isnt a 100% fix so I decided to try the Asym route.
    Another reason I went Asym is everyone says they're 'clip on and forget'. No fussing. Im looking for less fuss as I have a multi day backpacking trip coming up and want a faster setup/tear down.

As Warb didnt have any dark olive green 10D fabric in stock I sent them some Membrane 7 to make mine with. I figure with 850 down and 2oz overstuff it should be pretty close to 16oz, which is pretty sweet weight on a 20* overstuff quilt! Should be 8-9oz lighter than a similar incubator which will pay dividends on the 65 mile hike I'm getting this for. Still have the Prem Burrow 20 on order though. I love my HG burrow's.
    Last edited by mcimes; 07-27-2021 at 11:30.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I think you will be happy with the asym. I’m comfy in my burrow, but my asym trailwinder is much more comfortable in terms of not impacting lay - I like to get very diagonal. There is no getting it on the shoulder, keeping the feet in, etc.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I had a Wooki that I used with WBBB XLC and a symetrical DH Sparrow. Very, very nice UQ. I happened on to a Cedar Ridge Outdoors XL UQ on FS Forum. I use my hammocks for lounging, watching Netflix/Amazon/Rumble/Screwtube in the PM, and for night time. During the course of this use I discovered that using a hammock symmetrically provided twice as much pleasure or an asym was limited by half. Naturally the CDR UQ became the default UQ. It also works for my 90 degree hammocks. In addition to the CDR, I also had a HG Phoenix and a AHD Ridgecreek that I could use with the symetrical all the hammocks I own or owned. One day I thought why the heck do I even have the Wooki given it's limitation or why would I want to limit my lay options? The gorgeous camo Wooki has since found a new home.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    As others have said, it's kinda hard to say what you'll prefer until you've spent a good number of nights in a hammock. I bought a Wooki for my BB XLC, and after multiple nights freezing cold, I've realized that I am not built for an aysm. I already have a 30* EE short UQ for summer use (yeah, I'm a cold sleeper), and I've just put an order in for a 0* Locolibre to replace the Wooki. Fingers crossed that it's ready by fall...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast