Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brian, bravo on a beautiful, well thought out design! Thank you for sharing your process, taking time to photograph and share step-by-step details! I know how much time and effort that took so I want you to know that I appreciate it.

The stress band is brilliant. I wasn't sure how I would add the zipper so thank you for elaborating on that part. Truth be told, I had never seen a bridge hammock in real life before making the Ariel design. I still need to wrap my head around all the pieces before I dive into my next build but this shared post provides a wealth of good, helpful instruction.

Your overall sewing/stitches are very nice!

I'm curious about your "overbuilt" insight; are there key points you could elaborate on?

Thank you again for the share!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Thank you for the kind words Wendy.

I am actually on the 2cd prototype for the Mk III and the thoughts on what I could do better/differently seemed to be panning out, so I can share them. I hope to complete a MK III in the next couple of months and share that build as well ...

Overbuilt thoughts:
    - the MK II uses Hex 70 XL with a HyperD giving a weight rating of about 500 pounds, which is likely overkill. The only reason to stay at that level of strength is if going lighter gives too much stretch
    - the pole to pole length is 80", with a further 28" in the head storage area, given that the best position for flat lie is with the head under the bar , there is a lot of horizontal distance for a normal sleeper

Changes for the MK III
    - material for outer to Hexon 1.2, inner at HyperD 1.0 for hand feel, giving a weight rating of ~375 and significantly reducing weight
    - pole to pole distance reduced to 72", shaving off 8"
    - head storage area reduced to 12" (from 28" )
    - separate endcaps eliminated by designing one piece body that creates them when sewn

These changes are to lighten the design and make assembly somewhat easier

The final change is to the bug net, using a zipper around the perimeter of the hammock is a normal method, but it creates issues for construction (i.e. stress relief band) and in actual use must be opened a long ways to give a suitable opening for entrance or exit.

The new bug net will accommodate an active ridge line and be broken into 3 sections, one at each end that will be sewn in directly and a middle portion that will be zippered. To avoid the stress issue on the hammock side, the zipper will sewn along the outside storage pocket edge and sweep up to the ridgeline, creating something akin to a tent entrance and eliminating the need for the stress band perimeter.

I am hoping to have the final prototype and something to post by springtime, when again I hope to take it on my first foray in May.

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123