Dutchware Wide Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

Tarp Tie Outs

This popped up in my youtube feed today. I didn’t see it posted anywhere, if it is please let me know and I will take this post down.

He uses two steel washers to make adjustable tarp tie outs. He uses paracord and not sure if it will work with zingit. I will have to dig a couple of washers out and try it.

https://youtu.be/XudtqDiyG5U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." – Douglas Adams

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Interesting video. Paracord is fun to use, easily tied in knots that stay tied.
    Some hammock campers enjoy using paracord for tarp guylines.

But most hammock campers, especially hammock backpackers, avoid paracord because:
    Paracord stretches up to 30% in length when loaded.
    Paracord stays wet for a long time, when it gets wet.
    Paracord is relatively bulky and heavy, especially when wet compared to zingit 2.2 and zingit 1.75

Even knowing this, some people just like paracord. That’s ok.

Odds are, zingit will not work when substituted for paracord in video, you listed.

But zingit can be tied in a 6 wrap Farrimond Friction Hitch which gives 12 coils.
    Maybe a Blake’s Hitch with extra wraps will be a good slip and grip knot for tarp guylines.

I believe it is possible to tie a slipped Blake’s Hitch. Tie it as illustrated in Grogg Knot apps, but add extra wraps since zingit is more slippery than paracord.
    Now that you’ve almost finished Blake’s Hitch with a few extra wraps, make your last move with a bunny rabbit ear or a bight. Now your slipped Blake’s Hitch can be untied easily.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Interesting video. Paracord is fun to use, easily tied in knots that stay tied.
    Some hammock campers enjoy using paracord for tarp guylines.

But most hammock campers, especially hammock backpackers, avoid paracord because:
    Paracord stretches up to 30% in length when loaded.
    Paracord stays wet for a long time, when it gets wet.
    Paracord is relatively bulky and heavy, especially when wet compared to zingit 2.2 and zingit 1.75

Even knowing this, some people just like paracord. That’s ok.

Odds are, zingit will not work when substituted for paracord in video, you listed.

But zingit can be tied in a 6 wrap Farrimond Friction Hitch which gives 12 coils.
    Maybe a Blake’s Hitch with extra wraps will be a good slip and grip knot for tarp guylines.

I believe it is possible to tie a slipped Blake’s Hitch. Tie it as illustrated in Grogg Knot apps, but add extra wraps since zingit is more slippery than paracord.
    Now that you’ve almost finished Blake’s Hitch with a few extra wraps, make your last move with a bunny rabbit ear or a bight. Now your slipped Blake’s Hitch can be untied easily.
    Yes, the washer trick is clever but there are so many non-blingy ways to do it! In addition to Farrimond, a Midshipman's or tautline or grip hitch would work here. Or a single line Prusik.
    I hate to weigh in (again) on this stuff because I'm so frequently a Negative Nelly regarding gizmological solutions for things that can be accomplished with simple knots.

For this very application I leave the Blake's hitch tied as a loop on the tarp D ring, using 2mm Glowire which holds all knots well. At the stake end, a clove hitch — tied in the 'loop behind loop' method — is quick and easy.

And yes, I have tied a slipped Blake's and it works just fine, but a slipped Midshipman's is my automatic go-to for tarp ridge line. Super quick and easy to tie. No doubt it would work for corner guy lines on a tarp but those knots stay tied anyway.

But hey, people use all manner of bling to avoid knots, and this method is certainly a lot cheaper than Ti Dutchware! I always cringe a bit when looking at cordage tied to unchamfered metal edges, though.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    (...)I always cringe a bit when looking at cordage tied to unchamfered metal edges, though.
    this diserves a moment to think about. using such solutions is actually worse in every way than knots, the only advantage i guess is, ahem, it's shinny?

if one doesn't like to tie knots in the field, one can try something similar to what i've described here on a few occasions: make a single line softshackle to connect to the tarp tieout point on one end, and form a blake hitch (or farrimond if you like it better) on the actual guyline with the other tail. complete with a tending (minding) loop, this works as well or arguably better as a hardware solution such as linelocs 3's, but is less dependent on line diameter, field replaceable, and indeed you'll never have to tie the knot in the field unless you break something.

here's the original one, VT based, complete with a very short video showing how it works, and this is another version based on theblake hitch, with an integrated single line softshackle (so you can easily connect it and disconnect it from the tarp, which can be handy when you want to switch quickly between tarp configurations, or have a guyline system that can easily travel between tarps)

if you like the washer idea a lot, please take a dremel to those washers and round the edges as best you can.

• + New Posts