Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first hang and first experience using an under quilt.

Last night I set up my Warbonnet XLC and used an under quilt I made from the ripstopbytheroll kit. First I need to say I had the best sleep I’ve had backpacking/camping in years in that hammock. So happy I found this site.

With that said I struggled a bit with the quilt. I knew going into this that it would not be a perfect fit but wanted to do something cheap to try this out figuring I could repurpose the UQ as a regular quilt for one of my kids when we go camping if I decided I liked this and could invest in a nice down one that’s more packable.

I didn’t have any trouble with the sides staying in place and The issue I ran into and I read this may be a problem is that it doesn’t get snug in the middle and creates almost a tunnel for the cold air. It got down to about 50 last night and at about 3am I could feel the cold air but it was tolerable. I’m not concerned with making this quilt work because it’s just not practical for backpacking it’s a 10 degree synthetic climashield and compresses down at best to the size of a volley ball give or take and is on the heavier side.

I’d like to invest in a nice down UQ. The wookie seems to come highly recommended. But it seems you have to decide which way you want to lay in the hammock because it’s designed to be used in that direction. I guess my long winded question is will this straight up not work if you decide you want to set up the XLC in the other direction for laying in or is it just not optimal.

ive seen a few other quilts that are recommended but require some fiddling to be optimal. I assume it’s a similar fiddling to the diy one I made?

thanks for any help.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I have an older (bought it used, don’t know the date of manufacture) blackbird. I found that because it doesn’t have pack hooks on it, to hold the underquilt in place, I would have trouble with the UQ (there are multiple threads here where people complain of this).

The solution I found was to buy some grosgrain and pack hooks and sew a few on. By doing so, you can use non-Wookiee underquilts on your WB hammock much easier.

The other question I have (as you said the sides are staying in place) is if you have a tensioner shock cord that can tension that portion of your Underquilt. The video showing the UGQ zeppelin describes what I’m talking about well, I think. If your UQ kit doesn’t have such a tensioner, perhaps you could add one?

Failing that, perhaps use clews, like the Gemini quilt uses?

Hope this helps
    Last edited by KingMob; 06-19-2021 at 11:36.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontknow View Post
    Last night I set up my Warbonnet XLC and used an under quilt I made from the ripstopbytheroll kit. First I need to say I had the best sleep I’ve had backpacking/camping in years in that hammock. So happy I found this site.

With that said I struggled a bit with the quilt. I knew going into this that it would not be a perfect fit but wanted to do something cheap to try this out figuring I could repurpose the UQ as a regular quilt for one of my kids when we go camping if I decided I liked this and could invest in a nice down one that’s more packable.

I didn’t have any trouble with the sides staying in place and The issue I ran into and I read this may be a problem is that it doesn’t get snug in the middle and creates almost a tunnel for the cold air. It got down to about 50 last night and at about 3am I could feel the cold air but it was tolerable. I’m not concerned with making this quilt work because it’s just not practical for backpacking it’s a 10 degree synthetic climashield and compresses down at best to the size of a volley ball give or take and is on the heavier side.

I’d like to invest in a nice down UQ. The wookie seems to come highly recommended. But it seems you have to decide which way you want to lay in the hammock because it’s designed to be used in that direction. I guess my long winded question is will this straight up not work if you decide you want to set up the XLC in the other direction for laying in or is it just not optimal.

ive seen a few other quilts that are recommended but require some fiddling to be optimal. I assume it’s a similar fiddling to the diy one I made?

thanks for any help.
    The wookie will not work in the lay direction opposite what it is made for.

In order to do that, you would need to flip the wookie inside out. Most underquilts are made with a differential cut (including the wookie). This means that the interior fabric layer is cut smaller than the outer layer so that when it is pulled snug up against the hammock the fabric doesn't compress the down. Flipping it inside out would have just the opposite effect.

Now.. COULD you make it work? Probably, yes. But, it would take an extraordinary amount of fiddling to determine how tight to make the suspension without compressing the down.

It would negate the whole benefit of the wookie style underquilt... And then some.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Pick a direction of lay and stick with it? I don't really feel its much of a negative in that aspect.

The Wookies are great for being fiddle free, I'd think being new to hammocking it might be a really good option. Would be one less variable to have to worry about getting right to be comfortable.

I did look into the clews and perhaps I’ll do that if I keep it as a backup but I plan to invest in a down one for weight and portability for backpacking. I appreciate the suggestion!

thank you for confirming why wookie will not work on both sides. I know it seems silly about just picking a side and I can’t really think of a reason I would necessarily care one way or the other at the moment but wanted to havey ducks in a row before I dropped 200+ on a UQ

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    The Simply Light Designs Trail Winder has a similar design to the Wooki in Climashield, but for those who don’t have or want a consistent lay angle, he also offers a symmetrical version (with a weight penalty, of course). Either way it’s sewn to a UQP, and is very easy to manage. it’s a good synthetic option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Are you continually switching the net of your XLC to change the lay direction? The XLC is not a symmetrical hammock, so you would have to fiddle around a lot if you want to flip flop. My guess is, if you stick with the XLC, you will pick a direction pretty soon. Then you know which Wooki to get. However, SLD makes a Wooki-style symmetrical underquilt. Only it's synthetic.

I slept in it a couple more nights and decided I liked the normal lay just fine. I ended up ordering the wookie in a 20 deg. Seemed to make the most sense and it seems this stuff has good resale value if it’s in good shape. Thank you all for the input.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I slept in it a couple more nights and decided I liked the normal lay just fine. I ended up ordering the wookie in a 20 deg. Seemed to make the most sense and it seems this stuff has good resale value if it’s in good shape. Thank you all for the input.
    You'll like it. I'll echo what hutzelbein said. XLC requires flipping the bugnet to reverse the lay, so more simple to just pick a lie after experimenting and stick with it. Sounds like you did that. If that doesn't work out for whatever reason and you want to explore other hammockswith fiddle free setup, another good option is the Superior Gear insulated hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    The wookie seems to come highly recommended.
    I have a BB XLC and a 0 deg Wooki. Absolutely everything Warbonnet makes is bulletproof and of the highest quality, and the Wooki is dead simple to attach to your hammock (I think it would probably work well with any gathered-end hammock, although I've only tried it with my BB). They usually aren't the most ultralight option though, if that's important to you (but the gear will probably last forever with care). With all that said, I think I am retiring my Wooki for good (will probably hang onto it as a backup kit for a friend). I toss and turn a ridiculous amount in my sleep, even in a hammock, and no matter how much adjustment I do I just always seem to wake up freezing a few times each night with my legs off of the insulated area of the Wooki. That's a me problem, the Wooki is staying put and doing what it's designed to do, but now that I've switched to standard suspension UQ's I'm much warmer and getting much better rest.

I just pulled the trigger earlier today on a 0 deg Loco Libre California Reaper to replace the Wookin in fact...let's hope it gets here in time for the Fall season!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast