WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Diy exped scout clone

Hey guys,just wondering if any one has made a diy version loosely based on the exped scout ? (Sort of a gathered end but with clews on the ends). I was especially interested in how to sew the clews o. Without them ripping the hammock body fabric. Thanks!
    Last edited by stevebo; 06-17-2021 at 13:53.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Are you talking about a "scout" or the "Ergo" hammock ? Because the scout doesn't seem to be a clew suspension type, while the discontinued "ergo" does ... actually, I have one of the ergo models upstairs, I used it for a few seasons.

Brian

The Scout looks like a clew design to me...
    [AIMG]Exped_ScoutHammock_Cords_StrongSeams.jpg[/AIMG]

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    All my adjustable gathered end hammocs had a cord in a sleeve on the ends, and holes burned in the doubled fabric just inside the cord. The clews were larksheaded through the holes and around the cord. I used 120 lb or 200 lb test hollow braid fishing line for clews, with locked brummel loops to form the larks head knots. I wondered if UHMWP line that thin would cut through the fabric or the cord, but on dozens of hammocks over years of use I never saw a failure at the connection or even signs of wear. At first, out of caution I rteinforced the edge that I sewed into the tube, either by adding 2" grosgrain or just doubling the edge before folding to make the tube, so the holes were burned through 4 layers of fabric. The hammocks were adjustable, because the other end of each clew was a whoopie sling. Once I used 200 lb. test polyester line for the clews - not for any structural reason, but so I'd have clews thick enough to show up in photographs. It was, of course, much easier to splice and cheaper than the UHMWP fishing line, so I'd suggest using that for experimental the stages of a new hammock design.
    Here's a photo from a post about side-stretch. The orange hammock has white polyester clews. The black clews in the other photo were drawn in because the thinner UHMWP lines didn't show up well. I used the same attachment method for the clews in my right-angle hammock, which preceded both the Exped Ergo and the Amok Draumr.
    side stretch in GE hammocks.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    The Scout looks like a clew design to me...
    [AIMG]Exped_ScoutHammock_Cords_StrongSeams.jpg[/AIMG]

I kept getting the Scout Combi which looks different, I refined the search and I see this one now.

• + New Posts