Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Question Making the move from a 10' to an 11' hammock

I just got a new Dream Sparrow after a decade in my HH Ultralight Backpacker (which I adore, and will continue to use). I didn't realize until I laid in the Dream that I would notice that much of a difference between the two lengths, and I think that most of my concern is just a resistance to change, but I'm interested to hear other people's experiences going between different length hammocks.

My first impression was that my underquilt was a lot more difficult to adjust comfortably on the 11', and that there was SO MUCH more material riding up on both sides when I was laying down. User error, inexperience, or just the new reality?

Is there a benefit with a longer hammock for someone who is 5'10? I got impatient when I ordered and didn't want to wait for the 10' Dream so I ordered a ready to ship 11', but before I take it out on a trip I'm wondering if it's something worth getting used to, or if I should just bite the bullet, sell the 11', and order a 10' Sparrow and just wait.

How has your experience been going from a 10' to an 11' hammock?

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    I'm 5' 8.5" and the biggest difference I noticed was less shoulder squeeze because the 10 footer (Mantis UL) is pretty narrow. I suspect I'd be fine at 10' but wider. At your height, you're right on the cusp of 10/11 in terms of length comfort.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I didn't notice much difference. Not enough to matter. I didn't like how high the ridgeline was on the 11'. I also didn't like getting the hammock ends closer to the tarp ends (little more nervous while raining). So I just split the difference and made a 10.5' hammock. At 5'9" I am fine in a 10' though.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I didn't notice much difference. Not enough to matter. I didn't like how high the ridgeline was on the 11'. I also didn't like getting the hammock ends closer to the tarp ends (little more nervous while raining). So I just split the difference and made a 10.5' hammock. At 5'9" I am fine in a 10' though.
    My tarp is 12', and my old silnylon tarp was 11' which I never had an issue with so that hadn't really crossed my mind, but I realize now that maybe part of the thing I thought was so strange was the ridgeline height. Before you built the 10.5' had you ever used anything smaller than 11'?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by denniswinders View Post
    My tarp is 12', and my old silnylon tarp was 11' which I never had an issue with so that hadn't really crossed my mind, but I realize now that maybe part of the thing I thought was so strange was the ridgeline height. Before you built the 10.5' had you ever used anything smaller than 11'?
    My 10' Blackbird was my goto hammock for a while. I still use it these days. And while I don't get wet in any hammock with an 11' tarp, it's just nice to see that noticeable buffer when hanging up the shorter hammocks. I forget and feels like my tarp grew every time I use it! I sleep in a 11' every night, only because it's my "spare" hammock that I never take on trips so I just leave it up in the basement permanently.

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    I'm 5' 8.5" and the biggest difference I noticed was less shoulder squeeze because the 10 footer (Mantis UL) is pretty narrow. I suspect I'd be fine at 10' but wider. At your height, you're right on the cusp of 10/11 in terms of length comfort.
    Interesting, I wonder if maybe I've just never noticed the shoulder squeeze because it's all I'm used to? I just got back from a section on the AT and thought about bringing the 11' out to have plenty of time to get used to it, but last minute I decided to go with the Ol' Reliable and now I can't decide what to do with the Dream. I'm sure I'd learn to love it once I get through the adjustment curve but I'm not sure if there's actually an advantage.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Quote Originally Posted by denniswinders View Post
    Interesting, I wonder if maybe I've just never noticed the shoulder squeeze because it's all I'm used to? I just got back from a section on the AT and thought about bringing the 11' out to have plenty of time to get used to it, but last minute I decided to go with the Ol' Reliable and now I can't decide what to do with the Dream. I'm sure I'd learn to love it once I get through the adjustment curve but I'm not sure if there's actually an advantage.
    The Mantis is unusually narrow (56") and I have fairly broad shoulders.

For backpacking, I'd think that a 10' could save a little weight. Have you tested the new one at home yet?

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    The Mantis is unusually narrow (56") and I have fairly broad shoulders.

For backpacking, I'd think that a 10' could save a little weight. Have you tested the new one at home yet?
    I haven't tested it overnight, but I did take a little siesta in it. It was definitely roomy but I felt like I was swimming in fabric, like it was WAY too wide. However, I just checked and the Sparrow is 58" wide, but the HH Backpacker is actually 59" wide, which I am surprised about. The sides came up really high and it almost felt unmanageable.

Re: weight, I've always been a bit of a gram weenie about everything BUT my sleep system. My whole shelter (including insulation) still comes in super light, but probably the only reason I'll never be true UL is that I want max comfort at night.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If it's an asym bugnet, you usually end up with that 'wall of fabric' effect.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Width is key. For my 10' Dariens (Robic 1.2 and 1.7) I went with the Smurfs' recommended 64" width for my 5'9" height and it has worked out perfectly. More than 3 years now and still no complaints.

I recently got a SLD Tree Runner made to same spec and it is very comfy for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast