Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m only 5’6” and I’m comfortable in the Blackbird as well has my longest/largest (BIAS Camper XL) hammock - and all in-between. But the larger hammocks need wider apart trees. So the shorter the hammock, and still be cloud comfortable, the more versatile. Also, I recall measuring some “11 ft” hammocks and found they were really 10.5 finished ft. So for a specific hammock, it might be in the middle of 10 - 11 ft already. If you are chasing grams, go for the shortest - but still comfortable - hammock you can with the lightest material you trust. For me, without dipping into the naive side of the pool, I don’t want to worry about the gear after I selected it.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double (Sand)
    Tarp
    MSR Wing 100
    Insulation
    Kammok Firebelly
    Suspension
    ENO Helios XL
    I am 6’3” and used to sleep in a 9.5’, now a 10’ and eventually will go to an 11’. I sleep fine in a 10’ actually, no calf ridge, nice flat lay, and it’s a Kamock! Anyway, if you have a chance to try them out, do it, otherwise you can’t go wrong with an 11’, just feels like a 10’ would be fine.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images

Making the move from a 10' to an 11' hammock

When I first started out back in 2012 most vendors I knew of (and could afford at the time ) only sold 10 ft rigs. I bought a 10’ 62” wide traveler from Warbonnet and fell in love with it. Still a great hammock for me. Then a few years later when Dutch introduced his Netless rig at 11’ 54” wide I picked one up and thought it was the bees knees because it was hexon, not nylon like the Traveler. I didn’t really think much of the difference in the lay because of the length because in my n00b-ness I didn’t know enough about how length and wide came into play. One day I grabbed the Traveler for a summer trip and really noticed a difference after using the Netless for so long. I’m 6’ and while I still found the Traveler comfortable, it felt a lot more snug and a lot less roomy than the Netless, despite the additional width of the Traveler. I never had calf ridge in the 10’ but I do in the 11’ so I use a knee pillow to adjust the lay in the 11’ and I also notice the difference in the wall of fabric on the 11’ vs the 10’ but it doesn’t bother me at all. I’m sticking with the 11’ rigs from now on as I like the extra roominess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Hammock
    DIY 11ft. Whipped
    Tarp
    WL-Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    At 5’9, I personally prefer 10’ which took me years to realize because I went from 9’-11’. Everything’s lighter, and it’s easier to avoid gaps on my UQ, in my experience. I’ve also found that 11’ makes for a secondary ridge by my head, which is an annoying thing to navigate. YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swanben11 View Post
    At 5’9, I personally prefer 10’ which took me years to realize because I went from 9’-11’. Everything’s lighter, and it’s easier to avoid gaps on my UQ, in my experience. I’ve also found that 11’ makes for a secondary ridge by my head, which is an annoying thing to navigate. YMMV.
    All true! My 10-11 switch ended up in chaos for a while. I posted about the UQ issue in a long-winded thread...one even from the wilderness on my phone I was so frustrated. Those days are over thankfully and everything is working fine now.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Quote Originally Posted by swanben11 View Post
    Is your 10 footer also a DIY (noted in your profile), or a COTS hammock?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Is your 10 footer also a DIY (noted in your profile), or a COTS hammock?
    Actually something like 10'4". I was shooting for a 10.5' but kept cutting the fabric to get a nice square end. Then I realized it didn't really matter! But it's so comfortable I can't imagine ever switching. It may be due to the fabric too - 1.6 HyperD.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Actually something like 10'4". I was shooting for a 10.5' but kept cutting the fabric to get a nice square end. Then I realized it didn't really matter! But it's so comfortable I can't imagine ever switching. It may be due to the fabric too - 1.6 HyperD.
    I was replying to swanben11, but I still appreciate your input. I've often wondered if I really need an 11 footer (all other design elements being equal). My first purchase was a 10 footer, but it's extremely narrow (56") for my body.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12