Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    That sounds good for those that have a freezer.

Yesterday after hitting 113° the clouds moved in and made a blanket in the sky. Because of this the temps dropped very slowly.
    Midnight, 93°, I was about to go down for the night. This time there was no UQ, just an UQP to keep the biters from getting me through the netting of my Mayan hammock and a damp blanket of linen.
    Of course I was going to;
    Sleep like . . . an Egyptian.

Super comfy and the UQP worked great on the Mayan.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Sounds like you're getting things dialed in

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    Got it. I just had a flashback to a summer trip I took to Lake Mojave (houseboat) and we were dealing with those kind of temps near 120F. I am not as much an expert in desert high heat as I am in my own region where it’s high heat humidity. To help you brainstorm the following lists some of the ways I deal with the summer daytime temps in my region if I was brave (or foolish) enough to venture out to do hammocking between June-September.

•Research and apply best practices for dealing with daytime extreme heat and sun in your region.
    •No direct sun. Make sure hammock is suspended under shaded tree cover or canopy of some sort. Pitch tarp higher for better ventilation.
    •Stay extremely hydrated.
    •Electrolytes. I like Pedialyte grape powder packets added to water.
    •Soak clothing, hats, bandana and towels in water and wear on self. A wet garment wrapped around neck is also a good technique. Cotton clothing soaked in water is your friend and not your enemy like it is in cool weather.
    •Wear white or light colored clothing
    •Little to no activity. Definitely siestas when intense sun is out.
    •Eat meals that are more soupy and liquidy
    •Avoid or limit alcohol during extreme temps as this causes dehydration
    •Increase salt intake
    •Cover self with damp cotton sheet
    •Use a high powered fan if possible. If you don't have access to electricity, buy yourself an industrial shop type fan (not those wimpy D size battery ones). If this summer gets as bad as they say it's going to get with temps, I may purchase the following fan runs off of batteries and can be rigged over ridgeline. There are some other good alternatives also. Not sure of what the best options would be for you since you're off grid (solar powered, etc.)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...3320/205022215
    That lake Mojave trip sounds like one where I'd be working on figuring out how to suspend my hammock just inches into the lake, on the shade side of the houseboat.

Couple things I would add to your list,

Double tarping - by having two layers w/ a few inches in between it cuts down on the amount of heat you feel radiating off the tarp when you're under it. It's known as a "tropical roof" in the Overlanding and alt building world. The airflow in between the two will cut down on how much direct heat the bottom tarp has to radiate.
    This may not be a good option for UL backpacking but will work great for car/moto camping. I have rigged up a tarp equivalent made out of shade cloth which gets used when our chance of rain is still weeks away. If I think it's going to rain I put my rain fly under it.
    It's really a daytime thing. Something for those mid-day siestas.

Electrolytes - current fav is Laird Superfood, Hydrate. It's dried coconut water (I know, it sounds like a scam ) and Aquamin.

Alcohol - less is more (effective). That's right, you can save money by drinking while dehydrated. It takes much less to put you face down on the ground.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Great stuff! Thanks for the additional tips which I've added to my list. I'll definitely be trying the double tarping on my next trip out. Stay safe in that heat that is heading your way. They're talking historic heat wave. We might have to put our summer hammocking experiments on hold.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    On hold!
    No way. Our other option is to bake inside our rigs.

In a few hours we're headed to a lake a couple hours south of us and about 3k' higher. Will do some kayaking (probably practicing wet re-enteries ) and hang at a shady camp site for a couple days while the lower desert cooks. It will only be about 10° cooler but shady and wet.
    After that the urban survival testing continues.

I did try downloading your files but they didn't come through. Will try again when I get a chance.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    So last night we had about the same conditions, 94° at midnight, but a slight breeze.
    I tried starting w/ just the UQP on the Mayan and the same linen cover, only dry.
    After about 45 min I had to slide the UQP off as I felt like I was cooking. I felt like I needed the breeze on me. By the 2 hour mark I was still suffering and awake.
    At that point I got up and dampened the linen. Not even wet enough to take away all the dry patches. Then I got back in the hammock, pulled the UQP under, covered up w/ the linen and instantly felt better. Was asleep in 15 minutes.

The damp linen definitely took away the need to have a breeze on my body for cooling. Just having the evap happening was enough.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Sounds like you're living the dream LowTech Enjoy yourself and keep us posted.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Well, back from the lake. Only the first night there was a little hotter than comfortable, but not so hot that I wanted to have damp linen on me. It was in the mid 80's when we decide to call it for the night and there was no breeze. So this time I wet the linen and just draped it over the ridgeline. Not like a full sock as it's only 4' wide but enough that it made a cool little A-frame over the hammock.
    Very comfortable, not directly on me, very little dampness on the hammock and only on the edges. Overall it worked really well.

The things you can do w/ evaporative cooling in the desert.

Hammock
    SB Pro (modified)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Spider/Poly
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Well, back from the lake. Only the first night there was a little hotter than comfortable, but not so hot that I wanted to have damp linen on me. It was in the mid 80's when we decide to call it for the night and there was no breeze. So this time I wet the linen and just draped it over the ridgeline. Not like a full sock as it's only 4' wide but enough that it made a cool little A-frame over the hammock.
    Very comfortable, not directly on me, very little dampness on the hammock and only on the edges. Overall it worked really well.
    The things you can do w/ evaporative cooling in the desert.
    Considering you were not using a fan and you are experiencing record breaking temps, your test results sound really good.

We still need to figure out a fan solution for you that works with your off-the-grid situation because you definitely need some moving air to be comfortable in those kind of temps. It's a little early for me to make a recommendation but here's my most recent experiment I will be testing next time I'm hammock primitive camping in extreme temps. I was recently gifted the Anker PowerPort Solar USB panel charger that I will be putting into use very soon. Through vipon.com there's been a coupon appearing off and on, that can be applied for an Amazon.com purchase, for a USB fan type C that is fast charging. I was able to get two of the fans at $18 each (brand name RUNAcc) and will be hanging one or both of these inverted on my hammock's ridgeline. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for these things.

I'll let you know how testing goes. If results are good you will have a solution (solar panel and fan) that won't set you back more than about $75 US.
    Last edited by Hiker_Section; 06-20-2021 at 13:26.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker_Section View Post
    Considering you were not using a fan and you are experiencing record breaking temps, your test results sound really good.

We still need to figure out a fan solution for you that works with your off-the-grid situation because you definitely need some moving air to be comfortable in those kind of temps. It's a little early for me to make a recommendation but here's my most recent experiment I will be testing next time I'm hammock primitive camping in extreme temps. I was recently gifted the Anker PowerPort Solar USB panel charger that I will be putting into use very soon. Through vipon.com there's been a coupon appearing off and on, that can be applied for an Amazon.com purchase, for a USB fan type C that is fast charging. I was able to get two of the fans at $18 each (brand name RUNAcc) and will be hanging one or both of these inverted on my hammock's ridgeline. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for these things.

I'll let you know how testing goes. If results are good you will have a solution (solar panel and fan) that won't set you back more than about $75 US.
    We do have fans in the rigs, and a doz 8000mAh battery packs. Some of which we will take depending on the trip and what we may need to charge. It's easy enough to charge them off the rig's solar system.

I did order some of these, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W11P31V...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I figure that w/one plugged into the end of one of the battery packs, and the battery in the ridgeline organizer, it will point straight down at us in the hammock. That way I can avoid the issue of the wires braking in a flexible neck variety.
    Should have them today, so we'll see how they work.
    Last edited by LowTech; 06-21-2021 at 17:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast