If you are thinking of switching out your Primary Suspension on an Incubator.......

Hey all,

Happy Weekend.

So the Primary Suspension on my HG Incubator started sagging, when I was out on a short backpack trip. Because of the great people here, I remembered an in the fireld fix. I was able to take up the slack, with a slippery half hitch, on each end of the quilt suspension. This brought it back to hanging about 10 inches above the hammock, prior to slipping it under the hammock. Perfect. Sleep was extraordinary.

Got home and contacted HG. Harry as usual, was extremely polite and helpful. Thanks again Harry.

Harry recommended I switch out the 3/32 inch shock cord, for 1/8 inch. as its the primary suspension and as I typically stack my quilts in the winter. More likely then not, the stacking of the quilts is what did my 3/32 inch shock cord in. I am sure it had nothing to do with my COVID weight gain.

If you are going to switch out your primary or secondary suspension/cordage, dont do what I did. I pulled the old cordage out. I then had to thread the new cordage in using a little brass rod I had, in the shop. I duct taped the new cordage onto the rod and then threaded it through the primary suspension channel. An easier way to do this would have been to just tie the new cordage, onto an end of the old cordage and then just pull the new cordage through the channel, as you removed the old cordage. DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never said I was a smart man...............

Hope this helps someone. It taught me a lesson I wont forget.

Bob

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have one of the original Stormcrow quilts. At 10years and counting, it was showing its age. New shockcord made it like new. I recommend it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    “Smart” isn’t about getting it right the first time. It’s about learning from missteps. Unfortunately, the means you have to make some missteps. But as you make them and learn to be kind to yourself during the learning process, so kindness towards others grow … at least that’s how it’s supposed to work. Having a good night’s sleep in a hammock (obligatory hammock reference) helps.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Cougarmeat.

Lets be honest. At my age any good nites sleep helps

Be safe all.

Bob

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I did that once many years ago. It took me about 2.7 seconds to go 'duh' and bang my head on a table. I still think about it every time I even look at a shock cord.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

cm,

If I had a table nearby i would have done the same.

Have a good week all.

Bob

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Operator, Habanero
    Suspension
    Turtles, Whoopies
    Wow, wish I read this a month ago before swapping out the suspension on 2 LLG Habaneros. I do this for my CLs so I feel even more foolish that I didn’t think of it for my suspension.

Glad I know now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts