Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's new? (Since Sept 2017)

Back in September 2017 I was way down the hammock rabbit hole (although mostly theoretical - camping opportunities were lacking). I haven't been paying close attention since then but I went camping last week and got the urge to have another look into the scene.

If i recall correctly the chameleon was still the new hotness at the time.

I've read the 100+ page thread on the tensa stand but have there been any other game changers or innovations? What new entries would be on your dream equipment list now vs 4 years ago? What is the current fashionable choice? What experiments have fallen into obscurity? What group think has been disproven?

What's new?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

What's new? (Since Sept 2017)

MutterMumble, welcome back from time warp!

My phantom memories have weaknesses in accuracy, sequence, and relative importance.
    I often refer to any day before today as yesterday.

Obscure items are remembered, while game changers are easily forgotten.

Two ultralight hammock fabrics have been created and marketed. Monolite and Cloud.71 both are extremely lightweight. And both have problems with durability. Both have ripped apart on camping trips. But this can be blamed on user error—these are both delicate fabrics, possibly getting snagged by forest duff if dropped and dragged. And back pockets with zippers or rough items can be the culprits.

I’m guessing most of these ultralight hammocks are still being used successfully by more careful and more lucky campers.

Underquilts and topquilts are now available in 1000 fill power!
    And further lightening their weight and bulk is use of lighter fabrics used in their construction.

All of our top beloved cottage vendors have continuously refined their creative offerings, with improvements in their tarps, hammocks, suspensions, quilts, suspensions and accessories.

When you dive back in, doubtless you will notice some things you have not seen before. That’s what makes it fun.

Nobody else has anything to say about what’s new in 4 years?

I guess “there’s nothing new under the sun” and “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” probably apply… but I was hoping for more! :P

It seems like maybe there are more entry level cheap options out there that aren’t just short (9 foot) lounging hammocks and a ton of poorly conceived “systems” that I don’t recall back then.

Timeline might be iffy but I think Clew underquilt suspension, Cloud71 fabric, 90degree hammocks (Amok) are all relatively new items.

Sent from my PACM00 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    New improved becket hitches have burst onto the scene, not sure exactly when. There is a becket hitch variant with an extra wrap.

There are pull loops added to end of continuous loop (on hammock ends) that make it easy to untie becket hitch.

Superior Hammock has made an all in one hammock and underquilt.

There are numerous improvements in hardware, straps and buckles.

Just this month, I noticed MyersTech has introduced a new toggle, to make tarp setup easier and faster.

Anne Marie-Autumn Ultralight has made several new designs and improvements on tarp and hammock suspensions.

It’s impossible to reduce four years of Hammock Forums to a few posts.

Did Yogi Berra say?
    “You had to been there”

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I can't help much here because I got into hammocking in Nov '17, shortly after your departure from the scene.

However, I started off with the notion that hammocking necessarily involved a bunch of doodadery and gizmology, which is one aspect that deterred me for years, especially as a devotee of the UL persuasion. So rather than evolving I guess it could be said my kit devolved into ever more minimalist solutions for hammock, suspension and tarps. A few simple knots suffice for rigging tarp and hammock, although I do use LL3s and a couple of S biners for the UQ... I've not yet found a superior knot-based replacement for these.

But it seems that in the last few years more and more people have moved toward the simpler side of things.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

One thing that definitely changed in 4 years, the trees got taller.

Luckily the spacing seems to have stayed relatively the same.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    New improved becket hitches have burst onto the scene, not sure exactly when. There is a becket hitch variant with an extra wrap.
    There is indeed a small, but vocal, group of cheerleaders for the becket hitch. Personally, I'm not messing with a knot based solution for hammock suspension. The less knots, the better, for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Same here, SilvrSurfr, I’ve gone to an off the wall suspension for tarp and hammock containing
    No Knots and No Hardware.
    My hammock has zero knots tied in the woods, there are diamond knots used as buttons with Dutch’s Spider Daisychain webbing.

My tarp does have hitches tied at time of each setup. Technically hitches are not knots, even though I reckon they are. But they hold fast and never jam, untie easily when break camp.

I hope to make a video one day this summer, showing my off the wall creation.
    P.S. hardware is faster.
    Was trying to catch our original poster up on changes here on the Forums. But my memory is not sequential history of everyone’s posts.

SilvrSurfr, do you think there have been noteworthy changes and improvements in the world of hammocks, during the last four years?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    SilvrSurfr, do you think there have been noteworthy changes and improvements in the world of hammocks, during the last four years?
    Can't think of anything noteworthy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast