Tactical Toggle and Prusik Tarp Rig

Always in search of the perfect hang, I was playing around with some MyersTech Tactical Toggles and Zing It to try a new tarp rig.

Though not rocket science, this configuration makes for a very quick setup and seems sturdy. I’m confident it’s easily rigged with cold fingers and gloves, if need be.

A805AB4F-5CF2-44A1-B89A-DCDA159A607B.jpeg

36B4CE30-AA0D-4B74-A2CB-9487FF7A721B.jpeg

Make an 8”, Zing It Continuous Loop with a Tactical Toggle attached to the loop;

Thread the toggle through the tarp D ring and secure with a Larks Head;

Cross the loop and pass the loop around the Toggle again to lock it off.

Voila!

AA0717C5-AA05-49A0-932F-770602B6A3CA.jpeg

299B5C04-E657-4AFA-AA4A-74F1F2A61C20.jpeg

2E39206E-B962-45EF-9BCB-6D5605840CF8.jpeg

Link for Tactical Toggles:

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/284293837667
    Last edited by TheWalkman; 06-09-2021 at 18:18.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was looking at doing the same thing with toggles. Ordered some yesterday. Myers' YT channel has some interesting ideas/suggestions.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

hmm, interesting. although i haven't played with these toggles, i would probably be tempted to take your idea one step further, and remove the prusik alltogether: maybe something like thread the toggle on the ridgeline, and then you can just hook a small loop from the d-ring to the far corner of the toggle. i'm not sure this would work (if the toggle would stay put, maybe with two wraps of the loop from the d-ring?)

if you like the prusiks, maybe you might also like to play with the uni-shackle and a blake hitch (this will give you quick release and a non-jammy alternative to the prusik, all with no hardware).

these toggles are definitely a nice simple toy to play with, i'm not much for hardware, but i've been tempted to make some of my own to play with (as shipping them here would be more hassle than carving them with a butter knife), i like how simple and versatile they are, almost as if they were not hardware

True, Nanok.

One benefit of my toggle/ prusik config is that I’ll leave these attached to the ridgeline when sto’ed, virtually eliminating the chance they fall off or get lost.

These toggles are very cool and for the weight weenies, they weigh almost nothing.

One step closer to the perfect hang: I’m a happy camper.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Big fan of toggles as the adjustable end of a continuious ridgeline and as attachment points for internal pole mods along an internal ridgeline using a few inches of 3/16 shockcord that locks right in. Had them on my doors for a while but prefer to use simple hooks. I think I bought ten or twelve of them and have managed to find odd little uses for the whole bunch. Tacticool.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The one in the picture seems to have a little “pull” device to loosen the cord when sliding the toggle into place. I have a few generic plastic toggles of somewhat the same size. Long ago, for Whoopie slings, I bought a lifetime supply (one container) of wooden beads from Joann’s. I could use a wooden bead, instead of that plastic pull, with my toggles. and I’m guessing a person could make their own toggles out of wooden doweling. It’s isn’t body weight load bearing - just for a tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I’m a huge fan of going as hardware free as possible. I’ve use some of Meyer’s tricks to attach easy slide prusik knots directly to the tarp and kept the ridge line stored with the tarp. More similar to this, and probably a bit more practical, I have used some version of Meyer’s soft shackle to attach the tarp to prusik knots that I leave on the ridge line. Some lightweight titanium hooks will also do the trick nicely.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The one in the picture seems to have a little “pull” device to loosen the cord when sliding the toggle into place. I have a few generic plastic toggles of somewhat the same size. Long ago, for Whoopie slings, I bought a lifetime supply (one container) of wooden beads from Joann’s. I could use a wooden bead, instead of that plastic pull, with my toggles. and I’m guessing a person could make their own toggles out of wooden doweling. It’s isn’t body weight load bearing - just for a tarp.
    FWIW the Myers stuff doesn’t come with the “pull” device anymore - at least when I got mine. That doesn’t change what you said - just pointing it out in case somebody does want to DIY something.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkman View Post
    True, Nanok.

One benefit of my toggle/ prusik config is that I’ll leave these attached to the ridgeline when sto’ed, virtually eliminating the chance they fall off or get lost.
    that's true with the uni-shackle + blake as well, but much easier to work with than a prusik, and much nicer than a classic soft shackle (one handed operation), all without hardware. something like this, but the tending loop is only necessary (and very useful) for split ridgelines, on a continuous ridge line it would just be redundant (not a problem)

if nothing else, i'd suggest trying some other hitch than the prusik, but if you like it the way it is now, then that's great (i only mention it as you said you're on a quest for ever better solutions, and trying different things is part of that)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    There's almost nothing, and then there's nothing.

prusik_tarp_ridgeline_14369.jpg

Even the D rings aren't necessary, one might argue, which would make it by-gawd nothing nothing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts