Hammock
    Dutch 11-foot
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle

Cool Yup, you can get a good night's sleep in a hammock!

This is an excerpt from a recent report of bear activity on the AT.

"... a backpack, hanging from a hammock strap, was bitten leaving puncture holes thru all layers of a pair of folded pants. This encounter was not seen as the hiker was asleep in the hammock – roughly three feet away!"

I'll bet the hiker was glad he wasn't wearing those pants. This is the soundest sleeper i have ever heard of.

Makes you wonder if he left something (food) in the pants pocket.
    I think I will refrain from bringing food in the hammock, especially before bed!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    When I was managing a 24hr restaurant, I would sleep so deeply that I had to buy an alarm clock for the deaf. Ever since I stepped down to “just a cook,” I’ll wake up to very little noise. Not that it does much good sometimes.

A couple of months ago, I’d left a packet of coffee and my spoon in a DCF stuff sack beside my hammock. The next morning, it had vanished. I remember hearing the rustling of DCF in the early morning hours, but I’d thought it was my tarp. It was a little unnerving to know the wildlife could get so close without me realizing it!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Wait - were you camping alone or did you have companions. My “friends” have been known to borrow things. Maybe that “wildlife” walked on two legs.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Wait - were you camping alone or did you have companions. My “friends” have been known to borrow things. Maybe that “wildlife” walked on two legs.
    Lol I was alone...but I’d be lying if I said the thought never occurred of the group camped in the parking area not far away. I mean, not a SHRED (literally) of evidence! And I searched.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Raccoons are really good at stealing stuff. Usually, they're more brazen in public parks where they are used to people.

One time we were island camping. There was another group at another site out of sight and earshot. Woke up the next morning, and one of our camping buddies was complaining that his loaf of Wonderbread was missing. He thought the other campers might've come through our site in the middle of the night and borrowed it. We found the shredded bag and breadcrumbs back in the mangroves. We would always bungie the lids down on our plastic totes. He learned why. I was impressed that it had put the lid back on.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    We’ve had raccoon’s unzip food boxes. We’ve had deer lift closed lids. It’s one thing to take food, but one raccoon carried a paddling bootie about 10 yards. He must have become overwhelmed by the smell and dropped it (paddling people will understand). Occasionally I’ll place a small motion sensor triggered light on the picnic table - along with pan lids that will make noise if disturbed. If I hear clatter during the night, I can at least look over and see what it is.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts