Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Bear Mt State Park, Harriman..

I went on a very nice, HOT, overnight backpacking trip thru Bear Mt State Park in Harriman. The temps were in the low 90s and very humid, but the evening and overnight cooled down with a pleasant breeze. I made camp for the night in a pristine location with beautiful views and had a really nice, peaceful sunset. I slept in my Six Moon Designs Serenity Net tent and if you watch the video, you will completely understand!

The first day I hiked roughly 12.5 miles with plenty of ups and downs, passed the Bear Mt. Inn, spent some time along side a small but rushing cascading waterfall, saw many beautiful mountain laurels, saw a young buck (no, not myself), hiked and hopped on plenty of ROCKS and boulders, came across an abandoned tunnel, baked in the blazing hot sun, reached many satisfying views, helped 2 semi lost novice hikers (whom were hiking without any kind of maps) and got to see a really mesmerizing, glowing sunset from where I would be sleeping that night and had this location all to myself!!

Day 2 I had set myself up for a very short but scenic 3.5 mile hike out to complete the loop. I woke up at sunrise (5:30 am), ate my breakfast and packed up, hitting the trail at 6:20 am.

My base pack weight was 6.3 lbs. I carried my gear in my Kumo pack. I slept in my Six Moon Designs Serenity Net tent. I slept on my large *Uberlite*.. and used my EE 50° Enigma down quilt. I also used my Steripen (I LOVE IT).

Side note on the Uberlite..Being in the 90s and humid all day.. it did cool down into the hi 60s, low 70s overnight with a nice breeze of maybe 6 mph or so.. i slept in my net tent which was perfect and i slept in my hiking shorts and a wife beater (tank top). The issue is, I would stick to the Uberlite pad wherever my skin touched and it was a tad annoying throughout the night. I kept wishing I used my X lite pad instead of the Uberlite. The Uberlite is like a rubbery plastic latex balloon material on the skin. Next time I either pack the thermarest sheet or just bring the Xlite and save the Uberlite for emergency ground use when hammock camping.

On that note.. my camping spot for the night.. this is exactly why I chose to leave my hammock set up home again and sleep on the ground for this trip!

Check out the video and you will understand!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Awesome as usual
    So jelly
    Cant believe you didn't take the tunnel
    Just added to my list of things to explore.....
    How was the tick,bug,snake situation

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Beautiful looking trip!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Great trail tale, pics & video per the usual Dirtbag!

Thanks for posting...man, I need to get out!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thankyou Thankyou and Thankyou!! Ticks, bugs and snakes were a non issue. I did treat my clothing with permitherin the day before i went, so possibly that helped? Take the tunnel???? What the!!! Lmao, NO WAY!! Bear Mountain?? Tunnel? Bear CAVE?? Hahahaaa.. I did think of you as I approached it.. No way Man!!! Hey, if you do it.. please let me know, lol..20210606_130922.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Excellent video again, this time with some trails I haven't seen in quite a long time. Glad the water was flowing and water available!! Darn hot and humid it was!

I do love that spot on the Timp, and as you know there are some hanging/tenting spots on down the slope to the east.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Excellent video again, this time with some trails I haven't seen in quite a long time. Glad the water was flowing and water available!! Darn hot and humid it was!

I do love that spot on the Timp, and as you know there are some hanging/tenting spots on down the slope to the east.
    Thanks Bob. Yes I was ecstatic when I approached that final stream and I could hear the water flowing around the bend! Years ago, my first solo overnighter, I camped in same spot but approached from the other direction (West MT.) and it was late August and there was no water and I literally had to dry camp.. With no water at all! Man was I thirsty.. and that was a lesson learned. No I was not going to die, but it was miserable and it was a valuable lesson learned! Yup, plenty of nice spots to hang back there, in fact I arrived in the area about 3 pm and sun blazing and it us a popular spot so obviously I did not want to set up my camp where I did until the blazing sun settled down and I was sure that I would be alone, so I set up my camp back in that area until 8 pm, then I moved out in the open! Here is a picture of my spot while waiting for the prime real estate...20210606_162316.jpg
    20210606_162130.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Haha, the back-up real estate is pretty good as well!!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts