How wide of a tarp?

I'm debating a Simply Light Winter Haven vs a Superfly, just to get the extra 1 foot of width. I have two reasons for this:

1.) The extra width will allow me to pitch the tarp higher, but still extend down below my hammock (or underquilt).

2.) When pitched in storm mode...meaning the bottom of the tarp is as close to the ground as possible...the overall height of the tarp is an extra 1 foot off the ground.

I am tall - 6'5", and just want the extra height to make it more comfortable to get underneath the tarp in any conditions.

My questions are: Is that extra foot per side actually noticeable or necessary for better side wind and blowing rain coverage? With either tarp with doors, has it ever felt necessary to actually pitch the tarp bottoms right close to the ground?

hi there,

you are right about point 1, sort of.

the tarp is a 3d structure, so must be careful to think about how it folds and what a linear measurement changes in terms of volume coverage might not be so obvious. best way i would suggest is take some sheets of paper, and make a model of the two tarps, scaled down, and fold them in the pitch you intend to use. see what happens.

point 2 is not correct, the overall height gain will not be 1 foot, if the width advantage is 1 foot, it will be something less depending on the angle at which you pitched the sides of the tarp (how close to the horizontal/vertical they are in the plane perpendicular to the ridgeline). nevertheless, if you say you're 6ft5, for you that extra foot might be relevant indeed, for ease of use, however it mostly comes down to pitching the tarp (and hammock) at the height which is reasonable for you: if you're taller, your preferred height of the hammock (sit height) will be higher, and the ridgeline too, and the tarp will follow that height obediently, regardless of the extra 1ft or not. what the extra 1ft will give you, mostly, is more lateral space, think of it as more volume to move around, rather than more height.

i think not many people bring the tarp right down to the ground, for hammock campers (and even some experienced tarp ground campers) that is extreme and unnecessary in all but the most extreme conditions. i personally used tarps which were too small by most standards (barely covering the hammock ends and too narrow too), true mostly for overnighters, but some in rain and wind, and although i wished for more coverage at times, i didn't actually have any issues. it's quite surprising how little one needs.

if you're still in doubt which to get after the paper test, maybe go buy a cheap tarp that's bigger than either of the two you are considering, from your local home improvement store, draw the outline of each with marker or such, and rig it up to test and see. should be fun.

There's a thread on here where someone drew up the coverage of various sized tarps. I think it was originally comparing a Hex tarp vs a Diamond or something like that. Turned out the limiting factor was the length of the ridgeline: a bigger tarp had to sit higher to avoid fouling the hammock suspension thus negating the extra width that came with the bigger tarp.

As nanok says, rarely need to bring the tarp right down to the ground. When ground camping (tarping?) I'll have the base of the tarp 300mm (1ft) or so off the deck, even with "horizontal" rain there's surprisingly little that gets through providing you aren't lying right next to the edge of the tarp. Usually I allow a one for one distance so will keep 300mm away from the edge if it's 300mm off the deck. Note that doesn't account for spatter off hard packed ground.

Maybe look at pole mods, internal or external, to give you more effective room. Also consider asymmetrical pitching with the windward side at or near ground level and the leeward side being higher to give you decent access.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If you can get an SLD Winter Haven in the XL fabric do it. I have one and while you don't end up gaining a foot in side coverage the coverage you do gain is definitely worth it. Stick with an 11 footer or, as mentioned above, you'll lose what you gained because you'll have to pitch it higher.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I like a wide tarp.
    Maybe 12x12 will be good with my 12 foot hammock.

If rain is forecast, I always bring my wide tarp. But by that same token, whenever I brought my narrow one, and there has been a random rainstorm, I’ve never felt that it was insufficient. I’ve never weathered a true storm though

I thought I'd have a look for the thread I mentioned. As luck would have it it's a sticky in this very sub-forum and titled " Hex vs Diamond tarp"
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I find extra width useful when you are stuck in the rain and sitting around chatting. I can have a party under my super fly. Lots of room fir chairs and cooking.

Just in case it wasn’t clear, I always go hex… Diamond feels inefficient using that extra triangle on each side while also skipping on the ends where rain might actually get in. My first tarp was a cheapo diamond… never again.

• + New Posts