Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    How well a zip-cinch footbox works depends also on its construction. I have two European Cumulus (top)quilts from their Quilt line. Both are excellent and I've used the warmer down to -6 Celsius without problems (it could go lower, I just haven't slept in colder weather so far). The Cumulus solution is to add a draft collar both under the zip and around the cinch line. That makes sure both seams are properly sealed againts drafts when you close the footbox. And when it's a little warmer, I've come to really appreciate the possibility to open up the bottom of the footbox (while keeping the zip closed) to let more air move in the foot section.
    Last edited by bitti; 06-11-2021 at 07:31.

I’ve only every had zippered foot boxes… sewn always seemed like a luxury. With an appropriately rated underquilt, and using the “tie-around” method mentioned earlier, I’ve never had a problem with drafty feet.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by War Smeagols View Post
    I’ve only every had zippered foot boxes… sewn always seemed like a luxury. With an appropriately rated underquilt, and using the “tie-around” method mentioned earlier, I’ve never had a problem with drafty feet.
    I use the DIY deluxe - luxury for a bargain price

Hammock
    DIY Hammock and WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubat.
    Suspension
    BacktoStraps/Dutch
    Tie around is a great idea, though I never seem to get cold feet in my HG 0 degree and warm socks. Will keep this tip in my back pocket for that "some day" need.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Alright, I spent a week sleeping outside hanging from an AirBnB porch during the Gorge Downwind Champs in Oregon. The overnight lows were 58-72. I had my 30* incubator under me, no problems there, and my Zip footbox Burrow 40. I opened up the cinch so it had about a 2" hole but it was still too warm most nights. About half the nights I just slept in 250 merino long johns & shirt and sleepily pulled the quilt over me when I got a tad chilled in the early morning.

So I amend my thoughts just slightly - for a summer quilt a zip footbox has some utility. it does allow a little venting but probably only modifies the quilts comfort range +5 to 10*. For a 3 season or colder quilt, Sewn FTW. And still, of I was buying another summer quilt I'd still get sewn.

I really like the idea of a Zip and Cinch draft collar. That would eliminate all negatives except about a 1.5oz weight penalty.
    Last edited by mcimes; 07-27-2021 at 11:31.

I think Katabatic Quilts came out with a design that they claim eliminates the hole. It uses a draft collar so the videos describe. I have not seen one in person, but I have seen several Youtube videos reviewing the design and talking about how great it works. I think UGQ Outdoors also now offers a similar design. I have not seen it in person either.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    UGQ now has a snap that closes up the hole. I have one of their 20°.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    Alright, I spent a week sleeping outside hanging from an AirBnB porch during the Gorge Downwind Champs in Oregon. The overnight lows were 58-72. I had my 30* incubator under me, no problems there, and my Zip footbox Burrow 40. I opened up the cinch so it had about a 2" hole but it was still too warm most nights. About half the nights I just slept in 250 merino long johns & shirt and sleepily pulled the quilt over me when I got a tad chilled in the early morning.
    Yeah that those temps I start swapping the quilt for a coolmax sleeping bag liner. Basically just a t-shirt weight mummy bag liner. Packs down to fist-size. Don't dare get caught with just that on a cold night though. On days where it's 85° during the day and I'm going to bed at 9PM when it's still 78° at best, it takes a long time to get "cool" and even think about using a quilt.

I have 3 quilts one sewn, two zippered. I found I only unzip the summer quilt. For the other, I usually stick a sock through the bottom of the quilt and cinch it tight to prevent cool air leaks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I think Katabatic Quilts came out with a design that they claim eliminates the hole. It uses a draft collar so the videos describe. I have not seen one in person, but I have seen several Youtube videos reviewing the design and talking about how great it works. I think UGQ Outdoors also now offers a similar design. I have not seen it in person either.
    I have one of Katabatic's Flex quilts. It has an added draft collar and a snap that effectively closes the hole.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast