Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    With a tight suspension approaching a flatter hang angle, there will be extra forces well above your body weight.

That is why they try to get strap up higher with longer spaced trees
    Hope suspension can handle extra forces, as well as the trees.
    As long as suspension doesn’t break and trees don’t break, and fall on you, asleep in hammock.

Haha, usually my hammock ridgeline is a bit tight.
    My amsteel is 1/8 inch and straps not ultralight, so they have some strength.
    Sometimes I push the envelope with trees a step or two farther apart than usual.

Good luck

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontknow View Post
    Yes my yard, yes I own a ladder but was trying to do it without one because when I’m backpacking I won’t have one. Didnt even think to use my trekking poles. Good call on that. I don’t always bring them with me for shorter hike ins when I’m doing a base camp but perhaps I Will start bringing them all the time

thanks!
    There are always sticks in the woods.....

Yes my yard, yes I own a ladder but was trying to do it without one because when IÂ’m backpacking I wonÂ’t have one. Didnt even think to use my trekking poles. Good call on that. I donÂ’t always bring them with me for shorter hike ins when IÂ’m doing a base camp but perhaps I Will start bringing them all the time

thanks!
    for on the trail, maybe try this instead: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2028235

that is, make a pedal for yourself, and attach it to one of your treehugers. i will usually bring a third strap as i find it handy for other purposes too, and not too heavy, but you don't have to: when the trees are far apart, you only need to get a leg up on one tree, and set the strap as high as it needs to be, one the other tree you can just set it up at your "confortable reach height". this will work perfectly fine, with the hammock considerably closer to the tree where the strap is low (instead of centered), to estimate how much considerably closer, i use the structural ridgeline (horizontal being the reference state, and then if you like head end or foot end heigher you can adjust from there). this way you can set one strap high using the second one for the pedal, then set up the second one within your reach.

this also means that you can just focus on having extension available for one side of the suspension only, not both, which means likely less hassle and time to setup

this sounds a lot more complicated in writing than it actually is if you see it. unfortunately i haven't seen any hang calculator which allows for asymetric hangs (erm, Derek, OM?), but imagine it this way instead, maybe:

imagine a hammock hung symmetrically right in the middle of two trees, with suspension nicely at the magic 30 degrees, ridgeline horizontal etc. now extend the imaginary line that's inline with the suspension on one side, until you, ahem, run out of paper. take the tree on that side, and "move it away", you will see the suspension line now intersects the tree higher and higher, as you move it, but nothing else needs to change for the setup to be perfectly the same as before (well, assuming no stretch of the suspension of course, the longer the suspension, the more stretch there will be)

this more generalized way of thinking of suspension (instead of just "centered"), is, i think, very useful: it can also help understand quickly how things will work with hangs on steeper slopes, and is also handy when designing indoor hanging setups (cause beds are just a misguided invention caused by the lack of ripstop at the time :P): hint although already way offtopic: hanging one end of the hammock at a "reasonable height" on the wall, but the other end on the ceiling, but at a convenient distance, you can have the hammock close to the wall, and the suspension out of the way on one side, instead of dividing the room in two (well, this works assuming the room has at least one dimension long enough to reach so high)

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    for on the trail, maybe try this instead: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post2028235

that is, make a pedal for yourself, and attach it to one of your treehugers. i will usually bring a third strap as i find it handy for other purposes too, and not too heavy, but you don't have to: when the trees are far apart, you only need to get a leg up on one tree, and set the strap as high as it needs to be, one the other tree you can just set it up at your "confortable reach height". this will work perfectly fine, with the hammock considerably closer to the tree where the strap is low (instead of centered), to estimate how much considerably closer, i use the structural ridgeline (horizontal being the reference state, and then if you like head end or foot end heigher you can adjust from there). this way you can set one strap high using the second one for the pedal, then set up the second one within your reach.

this also means that you can just focus on having extension available for one side of the suspension only, not both, which means likely less hassle and time to setup

this sounds a lot more complicated in writing than it actually is if you see it. unfortunately i haven't seen any hang calculator which allows for asymetric hangs (erm, Derek, OM?), but imagine it this way instead, maybe:

imagine a hammock hung symmetrically right in the middle of two trees, with suspension nicely at the magic 30 degrees, ridgeline horizontal etc. now extend the imaginary line that's inline with the suspension on one side, until you, ahem, run out of paper. take the tree on that side, and "move it away", you will see the suspension line now intersects the tree higher and higher, as you move it, but nothing else needs to change for the setup to be perfectly the same as before (well, assuming no stretch of the suspension of course, the longer the suspension, the more stretch there will be)

this more generalized way of thinking of suspension (instead of just "centered"), is, i think, very useful: it can also help understand quickly how things will work with hangs on steeper slopes, and is also handy when designing indoor hanging setups (cause beds are just a misguided invention caused by the lack of ripstop at the time :P): hint although already way offtopic: hanging one end of the hammock at a "reasonable height" on the wall, but the other end on the ceiling, but at a convenient distance, you can have the hammock close to the wall, and the suspension out of the way on one side, instead of dividing the room in two (well, this works assuming the room has at least one dimension long enough to reach so high)
    That was very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to type that up!

That was very helpful! Thank you for taking the time to type that up!
    oh, really? i'm glad if it was. though that implies that i wrote something which actually makes sense to anyone but me, would be a day to celebrate

cheers, let us know how you go if you try some of this.

ah, btw, please, if you test the pedal idea, do so with very little height gain at first. although it's very safe and solid, it does require balancing your weight on one leg on a hanging step, which means one has to be careful to keep the center of gravity inline with the vertical rope, which is easy especially with the help of the friendly tree, just takes a bit of getting used to. i keep forgetting to mention this when i present this idea, i am reminded every time when i have somebody try it live (and in about 30 seconds they get it usually, just needs pointing out), but unfortunately being a climber in a former life, stepping on such thing is about as natural as walking, so i keep forgetting. try it carefully.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    For the gram weenies, that pedal looks like it could double as a Squat Strap.
    Corvis natum est.

that's fascinating. it does put a whole new spin on my advice of "make sure your forces are aligned", i have to say. if nothing else, the stakes are considerably higher. "failure, is not an option".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12