Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extending my suspension. Will this be ok?

I recently received a warbonnet xlc hammock with dynema straps and whoopie slings. I’m trying to set this up in my yard to get my ridge line and tarp dialed I. I realized my tree spacing is not optimal. I have some full grown sugar maples that are spaced 18 - 22 feet apart and are about 6ft around or more. I’m 5’11 and I can’t get my arms all the way around the trunk.

my question and I think this is ok based on some reading I have some old tree hugger straps not great for backpacking but fine for when I’m car camping. Using those around the tree and then using a Dutch biner to attach that to my dynema straps. From there using a warbonnet fishhook to attach to my woopie sling.

I know the straps will need to be mounted much higher on the tree to get the right angle. And at some point I’ll figure out an ultra light option but I already had these straps laying around and didn’t want to wait for something to come in a week.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Should be fine if everything is sound and strong. double check connections before getting in hammock.
    Enjoy the hammock quest~~~~
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Should be fine if everything is sound and strong. double check connections before getting in hammock.
    Enjoy the hammock quest~~~~
    Shug
    Thank you! And your videos have been a fantastic resource. So much stuff I never would have even thought of. Thank you for taking the time to put those together.

cheers

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Sounds like you've got a handle on it. If you've got two loops you can always join them by passing one loop through the other, then pulling the strap through. To separate after a load has been on them, simply grasp each side of the knot and jiggle them towards each other until they loosen.
    A rated biner is simpler though.

Edit: Not my video. Also, be aware that over longer distances like that the effect of any stretch in your suspension will be more noticeable.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

If distance between your trees is too far, and you do not get your suspension wrapped high enough up trees, there can be problems with hang angle, being too flat, causing extra stress on straps and suspension.

Phantom, guessing here, maybe include a bipod or a tripod into your suspension. You can still have a suspension line going from tree to tree, but some weight will be supported by tripod or bipod.
    Every thing could be connected: tree 1, straps, whoopie sling, hammock, strap or amsteel, bipod-tripod, amsteel and strap, tree 2.

That’s easy for you to say, Phantom...

Caconym thank you for that tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    If distance between your trees is too far, and you do not get your suspension wrapped high enough up trees, there can be problems with hang angle, being too flat, causing extra stress on straps and suspension.

Phantom, guessing here, maybe include a bipod or a tripod into your suspension. You can still have a suspension line going from tree to tree, but some weight will be supported by tripod or bipod.
    Every thing could be connected: tree 1, straps, whoopie sling, hammock, strap or amsteel, bipod-tripod, amsteel and strap, tree 2.

That’s easy for you to say, Phantom...
    Yeah I did reach way up to get the straps up managed To get 30 degrees on the one side and 25 on the other. Is there a good way to get the straps raised up if you need to. I was really struggling with that. It turned out between the 8ft heavy straps I have and the woopie sling I didn’t need the extra straps. But it certainly was not easy to get the straps high with that spacing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Idontknow; 06-06-2021 at 14:34.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontknow View Post
    Is there a good way to get the straps raised up if you need to[?]
    This is your yard, right? Presumably you own a ladder?
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    LLG,WB
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Idontknow View Post
    Is there a good way to get the straps raised up if you need to. I was really struggling with that.
    I use the tip of my trekking poles to work the straps up higher on the tree when needed. I would definitely have to use a ladder in my yard though. My closest set of trees are 35-40 feet apart.

Yes my yard, yes I own a ladder but was trying to do it without one because when I’m backpacking I won’t have one. Didnt even think to use my trekking poles. Good call on that. I don’t always bring them with me for shorter hike ins when I’m doing a base camp but perhaps I Will start bringing them all the time

thanks!

I string my ridgeline tight and use an SRL to set my sag. That allows me to get past most of the limitations with tree spacing once my amsteel sets for the night. I know that's not really answering the originally proposed question, but just in case you're lookingbfor other options. Even with 20'+ hangs, I don't usually have to string higher than 6' or so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast