Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Hammock related camp chair discussion.

Being a larger guy, the various non-hammock camp chairs just do not work for me. What are the options people know for a hammock chair? Particularly for use on one tree?

Commercially I've seen a couple of designs:
    Dutch's Hammock Chair:Attachment 185700

And the generic overhead suspension hammock chairs:Attachment 185701

And I've seen one where it hangs from one tree and uses a treking pole between the legs to support the seat. Are there others people know of?
    Here's a link to the one I made.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=Camp+recliner

It's not a single point chair, but it sure is comfortable!
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I am recently in a similar quandary. I got a helinox and decided I do not like it. The back support is not that great, needs a flat surface, not good on sand, not all that light and it is super bulky. I sat in it a while looking at the stars (not that great for that either) last weekend and ended up with a sore lower back. The night in my BB fixed that by morning but definitely not ideal. More of a bucket seat than I like.

I think I am going back to my thermarester I have used for years with my tent if I am going to bring a chair. This does mean I will be carrying a pad as well as my UQ which is not ideal but will have versatility if I need to 'go to ground'. The fabric of the chair itself is 6oz though the pad is a good deal heavier. At least this is true for the ones I currently own. Total weight I will be 2oz over the helinox.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I have the Helionox chair zero - similar to Sean, I have a few issues with the chair, but it is the best I've found so far. I like how upright it keeps me for cooking. My biggest complaint with the chair is that it constantly falls over when I am not in it.

I finally attacked a piece of shock cord to it and stake it or tie it to something in order to keep it upright. I do love that the chair weighs less than a pound.

On my last camping trip on of the guys had a chair called the A-Lite which you may like if you can find one. The company has been out of business for some time I guess. I couldn't locate one, but it was a nice chair. It reclined very comfortably and did not tip over although it was less stable going foreward and wanted to tip that direction, so he cooks from the side on it. Seemed to weigh about the same as my zero, maybe some oz more.

Good luck. So far all I've found are various compromises, but as I said I don't love the Zero, but I do appreciate it.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Could also try the REI flexlite air chair

Same weight as Helinox Zero with a little different sit 'geometry'

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I don't think there is a perfect camp chair. They all have pros and cons and you just need to decided if the pros of any on style outweigh the cons enough to justify its weight and bulk in your pack.

I started with the Stansport. Pros: cheap, packs nicely over backpack (see Shug), makes good "table" under the tarp. Cons: Not really all that comfortable to sit on for me, weighs just over a pound, can sink in the sand.

Then went no chair for a long time.

Now I use a Dutch chair made from the cloud material that I really like. Pros: super light, very comfortable to me, moderately affordable (between Stansport and Helinox), packs down to almost nothing, easy to deploy as a gear hammock along your sleeping hammock to keep gear off the ground. Cons: Requires extra straps if you want to use in camp after deploying the hammock. Also is difficult to find good trees around the fire sometime so not really practical for social events. If weather looks sketchy I may sub in my Dutch 2T's chair which is heavier but also doubles as a pack cover.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I have the Helionox chair zero - similar to Sean, I have a few issues with the chair, but it is the best I've found so far. I like how upright it keeps me for cooking.
    I do really like being off the ground when cooking. That is a fair point. I actually kind of want an ultralight table as I use the chair as a table more than as a chair. Have not found a super light one yet. Though my search was fairly short.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I find myself really uncomfortable if I don’t bring a chair, and I’m pretty large, so I bring an REI Flexlite Macro. I find it comfortable, though I agree with the desire for a little table — I recommend the Cascade Wild Ultralight Folding Table, which is made of corrugated plastic (and only a couple ounces). It keeps my stove and a dish or two out of the dirt; sitting in my chair, it’s also good for keeping the bottom of a water bottle out of the dirt. The extra weight for chair and table aren’t ideal, but they add a lot to my experience in camp. The table is inexpensive enough that if I wind up melting it, I can afford to replace it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Wow. 2.2 oz. I had seen it but dismissed it as it looked solid and never checked the weight. I was expecting something with nylon and thin Al tubes. And at $12 that is definitely below my "I'm just buying it" threshold if it looks like it could be a good idea. The Helinox was way more. I am buying two.

I am not small either (~220lbs). The Helinox is over 1lbs (the one above is over 2lbs). I guess I am trending the ultralight route but for greater than 2lbs you better be pretty special. Like I still look at my solar panel (1lbs) with grudging eyes but it keeps my devices powered. And my phone does lots of thing for me (including being my book and journal).

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    It’s not cheap, but this little table is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

https://shop.schwarze-biene.de/en/products/1/shorty

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    It’s not cheap, but this little table is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

https://shop.schwarze-biene.de/en/products/1/shorty
    I love the looks of those and been lusting after them for a while. Myself and my wallet doesn't like the price. I made a cheap imitation from a plastic cutting board and a crossbow arrow shaft. It doesn't have the bells or whistles that the Schwarze-biene does, nor does it look as nice, but for under $10 I am more than happy with it. The plastic cutting board can be slippery, so I will often use a small micro-fiber hand towel that I bring to dry things off with as a non-slip pad on the table. (not shown in the below picture)

table.png

- Clyde

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast