Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

MN, MI (UP), WI River Advice

Trip planning or paddling section? Please feel free to move if necessary.

I just finished my thru-paddle of the Manistee River in Michigan into Lake Michigan. I also have the Maumee River thru-paddle in the bag to Lake Erie. Next is the Au Sable in Michigan to Lake Huron. Pretty easy.

But Lake Superior is giving me some trouble.

Does anyone know of any ~100mi long rivers terminating in Lake Superior that would also support some camping along the way? I looked at the Cloquet>St. Louis in MN, but when I saw class VI (6!!!) rapids, I figured I'll pass. Even if I could portage. And just too darn rocky. Can't risk driving 12 hours to find the water levels low...or too high.

Two Hearted River in the UP would be nice, but way too short.

The Goulais River in Ontario? I have no idea.

Lots of work to do here...

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    In Minnesota you might want to try the Border Route Challenge that takes you along the historical Voyageurs route between Canada and the U.S. in the Boundary Waters. This route ends at Lake Superior.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unshavenman View Post
    In Minnesota you might want to try the Border Route Challenge that takes you along the historical Voyageurs route between Canada and the U.S. in the Boundary Waters. This route ends at Lake Superior.
    Perfect!!! Thanks! I didn't go that far north but what the heck. Lots of options there. Been wanting to get some MN action anyway, hiking or kayaking.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    If you're don't have your heart set on Lake Superior you might look into the Namakagon River (NW WI) which starts close to Lake Superior but flows south west into the St Croix. It's an amazing padding/camping river. There are campsites about every 5 miles or so. Most of it is federally protected so it can feel pretty wild for a lot of its length. Once you hit the St Croix it widens out and becomes more of an all boats river but the first part isn't bad. The Namakagon can become a bit "floaty" in high summer with tubes and what not but its such a long river they tend to spread out and only hit the easy access areas. Cooler weather obviously really thins it out.

The Brule which is not far from there does flow into Lake Superior but its quite a bit shorter and more of a day paddle or rapid players kind of river. It is amazing to paddle out into the Lake from the river, but there is only two places to camp, both campgrounds, one private, one state forest and both are only a few miles apart so not spaced really for multi day trip planning. You could definitely combo the two rivers to have the best of both worlds.

Otherwise there's not a lot of tripping rivers on the north shore or south shore that lend themselves to the type of trip you're wanting. (Excluding Canada of course, I generally don't get that far east) They all tend to be small, rocky and especially on the north shore, come down elevation very fast with a lot of falls. Yea the St Louis River that flows into Duluth is close but as you said you're going to have a couple of major, major portages to paddle all the way to the bay. Getting around the Jay Cooke State Park yea, as you saw, not navigable.

However, again if you're wanting northern rivers and don't mind giving up on paddling into the Big Lake pick up a copy of Paddling Northern Minnesota and Paddling Northern Wisconsin. Many, many, many river trips and great information. Though again, I can't recommend the Namakagon River enough if you want a really good, really relaxed trip with a wilderness feel.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    If you're don't have your heart set on Lake Superior you might look into the Namakagon River (NW WI) which starts close to Lake Superior but flows south west into the St Croix. It's an amazing padding/camping river. There are campsites about every 5 miles or so. Most of it is federally protected so it can feel pretty wild for a lot of its length. Once you hit the St Croix it widens out and becomes more of an all boats river but the first part isn't bad. The Namakagon can become a bit "floaty" in high summer with tubes and what not but its such a long river they tend to spread out and only hit the easy access areas. Cooler weather obviously really thins it out.
    Thanks I like the sound of this! I'll put it in my notes for a future trip. But I do want to focus on the river-to-great lakes theme first.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Thanks I like the sound of this! I'll put it in my notes for a future trip. But I do want to focus on the river-to-great lakes theme first.
    I think the UP would be your best bet then unless you want to look into as far as Ontario. I haven't done much paddling in the UP but the Ontonagon River might be an option.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado, Lightweight Double
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Becket
    Look into the Ford and Escanaba Rivers. They both empty in Lake Michigan in Escanaba. The head waters of the Escanaba River are in the area of Van Riper State Park. Take a look at the Dead River at Marquette. It is dammed for hydroelectric generation but the flowages are very scenic.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithica View Post
    Look into the Ford and Escanaba Rivers. They both empty in Lake Michigan in Escanaba. The head waters of the Escanaba River are in the area of Van Riper State Park. Take a look at the Dead River at Marquette. It is dammed for hydroelectric generation but the flowages are very scenic.
    If you go that route make sure to save a day or two to hang out in Marquette. As I'm sure Ithica will attest an amazing little town.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    If you go that route make sure to save a day or two to hang out in Marquette. As I'm sure Ithica will attest an amazing little town.
    I’ve been to their McDonald’s drive thru. That’s it, sorry to say. I’ll need to spend time in the future. I’m in St. Ignace right now.

• + New Posts