Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven

Topcovers/Socks: When, why, and how do you use them?

I'm curious about everyone's experience with topcovers/socks.

• How often do you use yours?
    • Do you use them for wind, cold, both?
    • How cold do you use them, and what are your experiences with condensation?
    • Have you found a fool-proof vent configuration to minimize condensation?
    • Is a solid winter tarp with doors closed just as effective in the cold while having less of a condensation issue?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I have the zip-in cover in my SLD Trail Lair, and I find I only want to use it when it’s down in the 20s or lower, which in SE NC doesn’t come up a lot. it’s well-vented, so I haven’t had the sort of condensation issues that I’ve heard of in others, though I do get some around my head, as you’d expect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Whenever I am using my DIY hammock, I use the summer sock by Dutch. I like it because it gives me both bug protection and is an UQP that gives me a few extra degrees of warmth.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    I have the zip-in cover in my SLD Trail Lair, and I find I only want to use it when it’s down in the 20s or lower, which in SE NC doesn’t come up a lot. it’s well-vented, so I haven’t had the sort of condensation issues that I’ve heard of in others, though I do get some around my head, as you’d expect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have any pics of the vent setup? I'm having a hard time good photos of that hammock. How do they compare to the larger vent option on the Dream Sparrow?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I use the solid Argon 90 cover for my Dutch Chameleon all the time now. In SoCal, since we NEVER get rain, I've stopped bringing my tarp and just using the moonlight top cover 90% of the time.

I like it better than a bug net as it blocks the wind much more effectively and adds a few degrees to the effective top quilt rating. No issues with condensation down to about freezing. Havent had a chance to test it lower.

Now, the only time I bring a tarp is when its cold (<40*) and high wind is predicted (>10-15mph). Even then, I only set up the tarp if its an exposed spot. I enjoy not having the tarp flapping in the wind.

I do use the SLD slug tube to keep UV and crap off my hammock during the day.

So I'm a big fan. I'll only use my bug net when its very hot in the summer (nights > 50 or 60*)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    At home, Socks-R-Us. With a bright-as-the-sun street light overhead and the Up-Past-Midnight neighbors with low windows, the sock gaves me - sleeping in the covered area in front of the house (but visually shielded from passersby), the sock gives privacy and light shielding. In the winter, it provides extra warmth with the usual challenges of condensation. But with zipper arrangements, I can vent near my head.

Here’s the deal - for me at least - outdoors is outdoors. I’m not going to try to make it like indoors. That means the air is going to be colder, I’ll have condensation challenges (in the winter), etc. But I don’t care. That’s why I’m out there I would love for the wind to be strong enough to push the hammock around a little. I don’t mind the pitter-patter of rain on the tarp. I enjoy the challenge of site orientation and don’t mind if I get it wrong sometimes.

Maybe it’s my younger, foolish, years of spending time on the sides of mountains - with a flappy tent and snow everywhere. To camp where there are trees - what a luxury!

To your original questions … I always have an under quilt protector (UQP) and tarp. If the tarp has doors, they are usually not deployed unless the wind/rain conditions demand it. I usually have a collapsible pole (or two) I use for Porch Mode. We are well out of the condensation season over here in Oregon. It is just something to manage in the winter. So a little frost drops on the top of the quilt - brush it off. What would be more of a concern - in a long term (5 days or more) winter adventure - more important would be the vapor/water accumulating in the down. If there were sunny days, then you hang your quilt in the sun for a while. If I knew it would be days of grey, wet, glooming (looking at you, Seattle ) then I’d consider synthetic quilts.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    At home, Socks-R-Us. With a bright-as-the-sun street light overhead and the Up-Past-Midnight neighbors with low windows, the sock gaves me - sleeping in the covered area in front of the house (but visually shielded from passersby), the sock gives privacy and light shielding. In the winter, it provides extra warmth with the usual challenges of condensation. But with zipper arrangements, I can vent near my head.

Here’s the deal - for me at least - outdoors is outdoors. I’m not going to try to make it like indoors. That means the air is going to be colder, I’ll have condensation challenges (in the winter), etc. But I don’t care. That’s why I’m out there I would love for the wind to be strong enough to push the hammock around a little. I don’t mind the pitter-patter of rain on the tarp. I enjoy the challenge of site orientation and don’t mind if I get it wrong sometimes.

Maybe it’s my younger, foolish, years of spending time on the sides of mountains - with a flappy tent and snow everywhere. To camp where there are trees - what a luxury!

To your original questions … I always have an under quilt protector (UQP) and tarp. If the tarp has doors, they are usually not deployed unless the wind/rain conditions demand it. I usually have a collapsible pole (or two) I use for Porch Mode. We are well out of the condensation season over here in Oregon. It is just something to manage in the winter. So a little frost drops on the top of the quilt - brush it off. What would be more of a concern - in a long term (5 days or more) winter adventure - more important would be the vapor/water accumulating in the down. If there were sunny days, then you hang your quilt in the sun for a while. If I knew it would be days of grey, wet, glooming (looking at you, Seattle ) then I’d consider synthetic quilts.
    I dig your outlook, friend! ...but being wet and cold sucks. I think I'd rather just be cold.

So, maybe I'm not quite following you though. Do you just use the sock when you're at home for street lights and privacy? You said you use an UQP and tarp but didn't say much about the cover.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I’ve got one that I have carried all over and have yet to use.

I thought I might on my most recent trip since I was sleeping close to the ocean and it would cut the breeze, but I prefer the wind and openness. I’m glad I’ve got one so I don’t need to think I need one, but so far I haven’t! .

When wind has been so strong that I think I might use it, I have just lowered my tarp and closed the doors. It would be good for privacy and dimming external light o suppose.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmunee View Post
    Have any pics of the vent setup? I'm having a hard time good photos of that hammock. How do they compare to the larger vent option on the Dream Sparrow?
    This is an 11' SLD Trail Lair with Jared's previous incarnation of the top cover. This one zips on the outside of the bugnet, so to adjust how much coverage you have (like folding it back half-way), you have to exit the hammock. I don't know for sure if the current system of zipping the cover inside the bugnet uses a similar sized piece of fabric, but I imagine it does. There are generous vents at both the head and foot end. Although they are not really vents per se actually, just areas of the bugnet that the top cover doesn't cover.
    TL 2.jpg

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmunee View Post
    I'm curious about everyone's experience with topcovers/socks.

• How often do you use yours?
    • Do you use them for wind, cold, both?
    • How cold do you use them, and what are your experiences with condensation?
    • Have you found a fool-proof vent configuration to minimize condensation?
    • Is a solid winter tarp with doors closed just as effective in the cold while having less of a condensation issue?
    I use my Spindrift sock on my RR in early spring and late fall, generally when the temps go below 35d or so to help with the cold. I have not had any problem with condensation, but if I did, I would simply open the door slightly to vent it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast