netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmunee View Post
    Oh, man, I can already see where this is going. $40 for a Dream FreeBird! I can just buy a bunch to test out the widths, fabrics, lay, etc. Yeah, this is going to become a problem.
    Ha ha. A quiver of too many hammocks is a problem worth having. Found my self more than a bit curious about that 1.2 Mtn fabric yesterday, took my own advice and now the smurfs are going to make an me an 11' freebird in coyote brown. I'm excited. Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Ha ha. A quiver of too many hammocks is a problem worth having. Found my self more than a bit curious about that 1.2 Mtn fabric yesterday, took my own advice and now the smurfs are going to make an me an 11' freebird in coyote brown. I'm excited. Thanks.
    Hilarious! Looks like you got to it just before me. I see a 1.2MTN Freebird just in front of me in the queue. If you hate it or want to let me borrow it, let me know.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Maybe we can arrange a swap for a bit. One of the advantages of DW for a simple netless is that you get it in about a week and pay much less for shipping.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sounds like a solid setup, though I'm not much of a fan of ligtweight fabrics like 1.2 Mountain. I tried those lighter fabrics but settled on 1.6 ounce HyperD (just not into disposable hammocks).

As for topcovers, I'm still undecided. For me, condensation is inevitable with a topcover, but when the temps get into the single digits or sub-zero, I kind of like the additional warmth, especially on my face. But the condensation is really annoying.

As for Becket Hitch suspension, I'm not going there. The less knots in my setup, the better. I like Whoopie Slings, but I've been using Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension for a couple of years now and it seems pretty reliable.

Have you even touched your hammock in the last couple of years? You even camp, brah?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Well, folks, it all came together nicely. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the feedback. It's been really helpful, and I've learned a lot along the way. I just completed my first hammock-camping backpacking trip, which was two nights on the Allegheny Front Trail. The trail was god-awful rocky but very well maintained. I ended up taking a shortcut on the last day to turn a 42-mile hike into a 36 miles, but I blame that on my knees and feet and not on my hammock. I've attached a couple terrible photos. One from the first night of camping: SLD Simplicity Asym tarp, DH Freebird in 1.7MTN/60" wide and Bottom-Entry Bugnet, UGQ Zeppelin 30-degree UQ, with suspension of dutch biners, whoopie slings, SLD Marlin spike toggles, and Warbonnet Becket straps (not using a Becket hitch). I also used the SLD Hammock/Quilt Catch-All in lieu of a stuff sack and the SLD ultralight ground cloth. On night two, I used the SLD Winter Haven tarp instead of the asym because I was less sure about the rain situation.

Tent setup (Marmot Tungsten 1P+ Thermarest Uberlite): 4.35lbs
    Hammock setup w/Winter Tarp: 4.2lbs
    Hammock setup w/Asym Tarp: 3.42lbs

Not freaking bad. I went ahead an ordered another Freebird in 1.2MTN a bit wider (65") just to try it out.

Things I've learned along the way:
    1. I really like the bottom-entry bugnet and can't even imagine having a zip-on net. Just seems like a hassle.
    2. (Tell me if I'm wrong The bottom-entry bugnet is probably just as effective as an underquilt protector. I purchased one, but I think it's just a waste of weight (cost-benefit argument doesn't hold water).
    3. It's way easier on my knees getting in and out of a hammock than a tent.

Questions:
    For anyone using an asym tarp, are there tricks to getting it low? My "standard" length asym tarp is quite a bit longer than my winter tarp, and I have to pitch it much higher, which makes it even less effective against any potential rain. For now, I consider it a "shade-only" solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The asym is what, an 12' ridgeline? Yeah, that's why I replaced my 12' Amazon hex tarp with an 11' WB Thunderfly: it can be brought down almost on top of the hammock ridgeline. I never tried an asym because it seems like you have to pitch it perfect to get max coverage, and sometimes (basically, all the time)...I'm just sloppy and lazy.

12' and less coverage than an 11' is counterintuitive, but after realizing that I had to hang the 12' tarp higher to clear the hammock suspension, it made sense.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    The asym is what, an 12' ridgeline? Yeah, that's why I replaced my 12' Amazon hex tarp with an 11' WB Thunderfly: it can be brought down almost on top of the hammock ridgeline. I never tried an asym because it seems like you have to pitch it perfect to get max coverage, and sometimes (basically, all the time)...I'm just sloppy and lazy.
    12' and less coverage than an 11' is counterintuitive, but after realizing that I had to hang the 12' tarp higher to clear the hammock suspension, it made sense.
    Yep, that's the realization that I'm coming to. The Asym is just so freaking light (0.54lbs vs. 1.32lbs for the Winter Haven), so I'd love to find some black magic to make it effective against the elements. I haven't actually measured the ridgeline length, but I think it's even longer than 12'. The website states the dimensions are 140"x110" corner to corner, but it doesn't state the cut angles. If they were 90-degree cuts that should be a 14.8 foot ridgeline, but I think it may be even longer!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Black magic = Dyneema. 11' hex is under 7 oz.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    This is the way....

You've got yourself the perfect all-around tarp in an 11' with doors, quality insulation, a decent suspension and are having fun test sleeping various hammocks and materials on the cheap and you didn't go out and blow a bunch of money on a dyneema tarp or expensive hammock that you find out later doesn't make sense for your personal use. Well done. I agree entirely on the bottom-entry vs integrated bugnet and my only netted hammock is mostly a field loaner plus an occasional night or two 'cause it is a bit comfy.

Love my Mtn 1.2 Freebird and have been alternating since it arrived with my Hexon wide 1.6 when I want the "roominess" of a firmer fabric. I think the 1.2 hits the sweet spot for a lighter, stretchier hammock and I prefer it over my Hexon 1.2 and Cloud .71 for sleeping.

Can't wait to to try out the Mtn 1.7 though, I think it might be the one...

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    This is the way....

You've got yourself the perfect all-around tarp in an 11' with doors, quality insulation, a decent suspension and are having fun test sleeping various hammocks and materials on the cheap and you didn't go out and blow a bunch of money on a dyneema tarp or expensive hammock that you find out later doesn't make sense for your personal use. Well done. I agree entirely on the bottom-entry vs integrated bugnet and my only netted hammock is mostly a field loaner plus an occasional night or two 'cause it is a bit comfy.

Love my Mtn 1.2 Freebird and have been alternating since it arrived with my Hexon wide 1.6 when I want the "roominess" of a firmer fabric. I think the 1.2 hits the sweet spot for a lighter, stretchier hammock and I prefer it over my Hexon 1.2 and Cloud .71 for sleeping.

Can't wait to to try out the Mtn 1.7 though, I think it might be the one...
    Good to hear you're enjoying the new Freebird. You definitely helped change the way I was thinking about this, and I appreciate it. I really love the netless hammock and the bottom-entry bugnet. I love the 1.7MTN, but my only other reference point is my wife's Eno Doublenest. It feels super sturdy, so I'm confident that my fat *** isn't going to damage it... except for those times when I forget that I have a knife or a tent stake in my pocket... then I have brief moments with less confidence. Excited to see how the 1.2MTN compares. It was the 3oz of weight savings that had me intrigued.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123