Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven

Question First Hammock Setup... Whaddya Think? (and other questions)

I'm planning to purchase my first hammock camping setup. I've done a fair amount of backpacking with a tent, and I've just never slept well. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get more rest in a hammock, though I haven't actually tried it. We have an Eno for lounging in the back yard, but it's not really meant for diagonal lay sleeping. I want to purchase a hammock, suspension, tarp, and underquilt and keep it as light as my tent setup which comes up to around 4.6 pounds (Marmot Tungsten + Thermarest Prolite). I'm fortunate to not be worried too much about cost, but of course I don't want to just throw away money. My primary concerns are comfort, warmth, and weight. I'm 5'10" and about 210 pounds, and in a normal bed I prefer a firmer mattress. (I'm not sure if that translates into hammocks as well.)

Here's what I'm thinking:

Hammock: Dream Sparrow 11ft, 60" wide single layer in 1.2oz MTN. Also considered WBBB XLC, but I'd like to use without a bugnet in nice conditions, and the "shelf" goes away without the net.

Underquilt: UCQ Zeppelin. I'm very interested in the baffle/draft collar for warmth.

Tarp: I just pulled the trigger on a Simply Light Winter Haven. I went with straight cuts and center tie outs because I may want to use this as a ground tent as well. Considered Superfly and HG Journey. I'll probably also pick up the Simplicity Asym for lighter weight in warmer weather.

Suspension: Warbonnet 15 ft. Becket Straps and continuous loops on hammock. I'm fine with knots, and these are super light. My only concern would be quick adjustability. I've looked at lightweight whoopie slings also. I may just pick some up and play with them.

All of this should come up to about 4.1 pounds (less than my tent setup) with the Winter Haven, and less with the asym tarp. I'm interested in your thoughts!

Questions:

• Will 1.2oz MTN be too stretchy at my weight, and should I opt for a heavier fabric such as 1.6oz HyperD, 1.7oz MTN, or 1.8oz Airwave?
    • Is there any benefit in going to double-layer for better wind protection, warmth, and firmer lay? If it doesn't provide wind protection and warmth, should I just go to a heavier fabric for a firmer lay?
    • How useful is the topcover on the Sparrow hammock? I've read a lot about condensation when it's cold, which tells me that my Winter Haven will probably be the best tool to keep me warm in the Winter. Is the topcover worth it for wind protection in warmer weather?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sounds like a solid setup, though I'm not much of a fan of ligtweight fabrics like 1.2 Mountain. I tried those lighter fabrics but settled on 1.6 ounce HyperD (just not into disposable hammocks).

As for topcovers, I'm still undecided. For me, condensation is inevitable with a topcover, but when the temps get into the single digits or sub-zero, I kind of like the additional warmth, especially on my face. But the condensation is really annoying.

As for Becket Hitch suspension, I'm not going there. The less knots in my setup, the better. I like Whoopie Slings, but I've been using Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension for a couple of years now and it seems pretty reliable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Quality choices on gear DH, SLD, UGQ and WB are all excellent choices and can be flipped if you end up a lowly ground dweller after all. If you really want to experiment with fabrics, trying out a couple of fairly priced dutch netless 11 footers and a bottom entry bugnet is an alternative strategy so that when you do have your "dream" hammock custom made, it will be just perfect.

There is merit to the idea of beginners starting with an option for knotless adjustablity because the perfect lay is personal thing and an iterative process until you get the hang of eye-sighting a setup. Whoopies and a marlin spike is a tried-and-true method that transfers easily to using a beckett hitch after some practice.

Good luck, have fun and you will end up trying a bunch of things once you get the bug. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Here's a good thread on top covers / socks. It's about the XLC but would be similar (I expect) with a Dreamhammock.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=cover

And Shug had a video on the XLC he was trying out that had a top cover... his thoughts are in that video.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    You'll not regret getting a DreamHammock. I'm looking at getting a Sparrow as part of my journey towards lighter hiking. My double-layer Danger Bird has been fantastic for the last 6 years or so. I find the overcover to be really nice for adding a bit of extra warmth. If you're worried about condensation, there are a number of extra noseeum vents in different styles you can have added.
    I'm tossing up between the 1.6oz HyperD and the 1.2oz MTN. Here's what Randy from DreamHammock had to say when I asked his opinion between the two:

"I think the 1.2oz MTN is a better fabric. It's woven with a nylon 6.6 yarn that gives it something like 30% more strength. I have a max comfort rating of 260lbs on this fabric, but anything under 225 or so and you'd have a decently firm and supportive lay. It's also got a hybrid ripstop pattern. That is a square grid over a diamond grid. I think this adds to the diagonal stability of this stuff."

That gives me confidence for going with the MTN and saving the small bit of extra weight.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sounds like a solid setup, though I'm not much of a fan of ligtweight fabrics like 1.2 Mountain. I tried those lighter fabrics but settled on 1.6 ounce HyperD (just not into disposable hammocks).

As for topcovers, I'm still undecided. For me, condensation is inevitable with a topcover, but when the temps get into the single digits or sub-zero, I kind of like the additional warmth, especially on my face. But the condensation is really annoying.

As for Becket Hitch suspension, I'm not going there. The less knots in my setup, the better. I like Whoopie Slings, but I've been using Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension for a couple of years now and it seems pretty reliable.
    Thanks for the input.

Just curious, when you said "lightweight fabrics like 1.2 Mountain", have you tried that one specifically? From Caconym's statement below it sounds like it may be more durable than some similarly lightweight fabrics.

I went ahead an ordered the becket hitch as well as some whoopie slings and 2" 1.5 Spider tree huggers so I can experiment.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Welcome to the forums
    Thank you, sir!

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Quality choices on gear DH, SLD, UGQ and WB are all excellent choices and can be flipped if you end up a lowly ground dweller after all. If you really want to experiment with fabrics, trying out a couple of fairly priced dutch netless 11 footers and a bottom entry bugnet is an alternative strategy so that when you do have your "dream" hammock custom made, it will be just perfect.

There is merit to the idea of beginners starting with an option for knotless adjustablity because the perfect lay is personal thing and an iterative process until you get the hang of eye-sighting a setup. Whoopies and a marlin spike is a tried-and-true method that transfers easily to using a beckett hitch after some practice.

Good luck, have fun and you will end up trying a bunch of things once you get the bug. Welcome to the forum.

Oh, man, I can already see where this is going. $40 for a Dream FreeBird! I can just buy a bunch to test out the widths, fabrics, lay, etc. Yeah, this is going to become a problem.

I went ahead and picked up some 2" 1.5 Spider tree straps and whoopie slings to experiment, as well as the becket straps.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Caconym View Post
    You'll not regret getting a DreamHammock. I'm looking at getting a Sparrow as part of my journey towards lighter hiking. My double-layer Danger Bird has been fantastic for the last 6 years or so. I find the overcover to be really nice for adding a bit of extra warmth. If you're worried about condensation, there are a number of extra noseeum vents in different styles you can have added.
    I'm tossing up between the 1.6oz HyperD and the 1.2oz MTN. Here's what Randy from DreamHammock had to say when I asked his opinion between the two:

"I think the 1.2oz MTN is a better fabric. It's woven with a nylon 6.6 yarn that gives it something like 30% more strength. I have a max comfort rating of 260lbs on this fabric, but anything under 225 or so and you'd have a decently firm and supportive lay. It's also got a hybrid ripstop pattern. That is a square grid over a diamond grid. I think this adds to the diagonal stability of this stuff."

That gives me confidence for going with the MTN and saving the small bit of extra weight.
    Thanks for sharing Randy's response. That helps. I'm interested to know if you've seen a good thorough discussion of topcovers (outside of Shug's video). I might try to start a thread on that topic specifically.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast