Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Solid choice of a large, full door tarp like the Winter Haven. However, I'm not a fan of the asym tarps due to the lesser side protection. I'd at least go with a regular hex, or something like the WB Mini/Thunder/Mountain Fly tarps with the end beaks for additional protection. I get saving weight, but I'd rather have the protection vs. the weight savings.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Solid choice of a large, full door tarp like the Winter Haven. However, I'm not a fan of the asym tarps due to the lesser side protection. I'd at least go with a regular hex, or something like the WB Mini/Thunder/Mountain Fly tarps with the end beaks for additional protection. I get saving weight, but I'd rather have the protection vs. the weight savings.
    For the asym, I was thinking to go a little longer to add a little protection. I figured I'd probably just use this when I KNOW the weather will be nice, probably just for overnighters or general relaxing. If I suspect any weather will be an issue, I'll just suck it up and and bring the extra pound of Winter Haven.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Longer, as in 12' vs 11' ridgeline? Or wider?

Gotta be careful with the longer ridgeline...12' tarps on 11' hammocks, you end up having the tarp higher over the hammock so you can clear the hammock suspension which further raises your side protection. There's been a bunch of threads where folks are WTT/WTS their 12' tarps due to that.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Longer, as in 12' vs 11' ridgeline? Or wider?

Gotta be careful with the longer ridgeline...12' tarps on 11' hammocks, you end up having the tarp higher over the hammock so you can clear the hammock suspension which further raises your side protection. There's been a bunch of threads where folks are WTT/WTS their 12' tarps due to that.
    That's really good advice that I hadn't considered. Thanks for that. I'm still thinking the asym would be mainly for shade, less for rain protection.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmunee View Post
    Thanks for sharing Randy's response. That helps. I'm interested to know if you've seen a good thorough discussion of topcovers (outside of Shug's video). I might try to start a thread on that topic specifically.
    I've now made bridge hammocks with both HyperD 1.6 and MTN 1.2, and the MTN definitely seems stronger. I'm only 140lbs soaking wet so not much of a test, but the HyperD is very billowy and stretchy. It also seems to stretch more over multiple nights, but this is likely par for the course with any lighter fabrics like this. The MTN 1.2 is a lightweight fabric, but I wouldn't call is disposable by any means.

HyperD is a bit more comfortable though, for me anyway.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Caconym View Post
    You'll not regret getting a DreamHammock. I'm looking at getting a Sparrow as part of my journey towards lighter hiking. My double-layer Danger Bird has been fantastic for the last 6 years or so. I find the overcover to be really nice for adding a bit of extra warmth. If you're worried about condensation, there are a number of extra noseeum vents in different styles you can have added.
    I'm tossing up between the 1.6oz HyperD and the 1.2oz MTN. Here's what Randy from DreamHammock had to say when I asked his opinion between the two:

"I think the 1.2oz MTN is a better fabric. It's woven with a nylon 6.6 yarn that gives it something like 30% more strength. I have a max comfort rating of 260lbs on this fabric, but anything under 225 or so and you'd have a decently firm and supportive lay. It's also got a hybrid ripstop pattern. That is a square grid over a diamond grid. I think this adds to the diagonal stability of this stuff."

That gives me confidence for going with the MTN and saving the small bit of extra weight.
    Here's what Randy from Dream said via email...

Hi Matt,

The 1.2oz MTN fabric would work just fine for you, but you will see a little stretch from it. It has a max comfort rating of about 260ish, but feels best with under 225lbs in it.

I would suggest an 11ft x 60-62" using a single layer of the 1.7oz MTN fabric. It's slightly heavier, but provides a firm and flat laying hammock that I think feels real nice. I'm 5'7", 195lbs and this is my favorite fabric and I think it's well worth the 3.75oz for the flatter lay.

Going with a double layer of the 1.2oz MTN makes a firm and solid feeling hammock with a comfort rating of well over 400lbs. This would be a terrific choice for car camping, but probably overkill for backpacking trips.

Thanks
    Randy

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmunee View Post
    I'm interested to know if you've seen a good thorough discussion of topcovers (outside of Shug's video). I might try to start a thread on that topic specifically.
    Not off the top of my head. I'd be interested to see such a discussion.
    Edit: Just found the one you started. Thought I'd add; I also use my poncho as an underquilt protector, which adds a few degrees. You just wanna be careful to have it hanging loose because it does collect condensation and you don't want that up against your insulation.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Caconym View Post
    Not off the top of my head. I'd be interested to see such a discussion.
    Edit: Just found the one you started. Thought I'd add; I also use my poncho as an underquilt protector, which adds a few degrees. You just wanna be careful to have it hanging loose because it does collect condensation and you don't want that up against your insulation.
    Resourceful!

Hammock
    Onewind Double Hammock
    Tarp
    C Gorilla Fortres2
    Insulation
    Down Under | Upper
    Suspension
    1/8 Amsteel Whoopy
    Images
    my advice is to hit a "hangfest" (terrible name, should call them Hammockfests...) Anyways, many of the larger events will have some/many of the cottage guys with hammocks to try. Even if they aren't present, I know that I and most hammockers will let you lounge in my/our setups.

The thing is, it is such a personal preference thing and trying out a bunch of the offerings will certainly help you narrow down a choice. And even a great hammock that has a fabric choice that won't work for you would be a bad night, look up calf ridge. I've laid in a couple of cottage brands with super lightweight fabrics that just sucked because they can conform "too" much and crease you here, there, and other places. So be sure to try some varying fabrics. I kinda dig the hex-ripstop fabrics over others.

Personally, I've purchased 2 of the same hammocks from a startup and I'm sewing them together myself to have a double layer to host a mattress. If you are going to winter hammock, this is almost a must to keep a mattress in one place and not shift all night long...

I have worked through a few underquilts and now have patterned my own design and it's far better than any over-the-counter underquilt. And that is really the jist of hammocking - you'll fall into the rabbit hole of customizations. For good or bad...

You should also take a look @ Dutchware, their Chameleon is a pretty sweet setup with a boatload of builtin options. I'm going to order one of his, as well as a Sparrow and another from Cave Creek Hammocks.

As important as the hammock, is your Tarp. I think I read that you already purchased one, but seriously, the tarp will make or break an outing if weather pops up. Make sure what you purchased is large enough to go into "Tent" mode, meaning it is built to close at both ends and has enough width to reach the ground - if not, grab one that does. Cubanfiber is a really great fabric for tarps, don't skimp on this.

Cheers and welcome to the family.

Hammock
    DH Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    I got some really good feedback here that made me think of another route.

I just went ahead and ordered a Dream Freebird (basic hammock) in 1.7oz MTN and a bottom-entry bugnet. I figure that's the cheapest way to try out fabric and lay direction, and if I don't like it, I can buy another hammock and reuse the bugnet. I'll worry about a sock and underquilt when it gets a little cooler. I did bling it out a little bit with UQ/TO hooks, a fixed ridgeline, a storage pocket, and neon green grosgrain. Stoked! I'll post some photos when I get everything. Now the hardest part... waiting!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast