Interested in hammock camping.

Hello to all and I hope you are having a great day! I love to camp and we have a travel trailer with all of the convenience of home but I used to backpack and tent camp also. My wife bought me a hammock at a local outfitters a couple of years ago and when I try to lay in it I think I must look like a taco. I think it is a double hammock by Kammok. It seems to be well made and she bought the tree straps for it also. What am I doing wrong? I have watched a lot of Shug videos and think that I have a basic understanding of the hammock hang but I don’t know if it’s just such a large hammock that causes this taco sensation or what. My granddaughter has an ENO hammock that we setup when she goes camping with us and I don’t seem to have this problem with it. I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 210 and I am reasonably fit. Anyway thanks for any help you might send my way and have a great day!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Looking up the Kamock double, it seems to be 10' long. You're 6' which means you'd likely be more comfortable in an 11' hammock. Most people seem to agree 6' height requires an 11' long hammock for a comfortable diagonal. I am 6'1 and also prefer a Wide, 11' hammock (typically ~68-70" wide). The Kamock double seems to have adequate width, but it is likely not long enough for your height at 10', thus the Banana syndrome.

I'd recommend you try and lay in an 11' and see if its more comfortable, ideally a Wide 11' version as well.

Also, the Kamock appears to lack a ridgeline. The ridgeline will keep your sag consistent regardless of suspension angle. Because the Kamock does not have a fixed ridgeline, the feel of the hammock is completely dependent on the angle of your suspension, which can be very tricky to get right consistently (at least with out a lot of adjusting). So getting a hammock with a ridgeline would be highly advisable as well.

To try out an 11' on the cheap, look at the Netless hammocks available from any cottage vendor on here.

Thanks for the information.

• + New Posts