Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    chef4,

I have a thermarest ridgerunner ccf pad. Used it a lot when I started into this hammock world. This is a great piece of gear. However like others have said, stick with an underquilt would be my advice, as the thermarest ridgerunner does/did collect moisture, across a vast temperature range ( above and below freezing).

I will still use my thermarest ridgerunner, backpacking/float camping/car tent camping, if and when, I go to the ground or use a cot. However, next time I go, I will use the "Cocoon" Cotton Sheet Sleeping Bag/Travel sheet liner available at REI. This cotton liner slips over the CCF pad and I think will erase the condensation issue, by creating a barrier between skin and ccf pad. This is the same product my daughter used as she traveled through the hostels of Europe.

Have fun.

Bob

Hi Chef4,
    I'll chime in here.
    I thru-hike the A.T. 3 times and every time used my Hennessy hammock expedition zip and was very, very happy not to sleep in a shelter.
    Most shelters are dirty and rodent ridden and many people come and go at late night visits hoping to get a spot in the shelter.
    Plus the advantage to using a hammock is you don't need to look for a flat spot just 2 trees and hang and hang wherever you want to.
    The trick I used in the Smokies was to wait until the shelter fills up then no problem hanging
    I also use the Jacks R better 20% under quilt and used it the whole way and never had a problem with it and it works great till this day.
    Hope this helps you out.
    EZDoesit A.T. 2001, 2002, 2003

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    I’m taking a couple of weeks break to give heel pain a chance to resolve, then will jump back on the AT in Tuxedo NY. Would you guess I can just dump my inflatable, skip the ccf and hammock all the way to Maine? I’ve only spent a single night in a shelter in 7 weeks. I’ve decided to stick with my 40 deg yeti UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12