Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5

Switching out UQ for in-hammock CCF pad during warmer weather on AT

I'm currently using a 40 degree yeti under my hammock for spring weather, and I'd like to substitute a CCF pad for it during my AT thruhike this summer as the pad is more versatile, and easier to use in really rainy/misty conditions. The specific situation will likely be:

1. Good positioning of hammock set up, minimizing wind effects
    2. 12 foot HG tarp with door option for windy/rainy nights
    3. Minimum night time temps in NY-Maine likely over 40, with option to sleep in shelter for abnormally cold nights.
    4. 40 degree synthetic TQ

I've got a Nemo switchback torso length CCF pad at home that has a R value of something like 2.0. Do people think this will work? I also have a short 1/8 inch EVA foam piece I can use under legs or trunk if needed .

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Gossamer Gear has closed cell foam pads
    Up to 40 inches wide, 70 inches long
    Thickness 1/8 or 3/16?

Easy to trim to size by outlining with a sharpie pen and cutting with a good scissors

I have no extended miles hikes (call me shorty short miles), I’d probably stay with quilts top and bottom. Maybe get a synthetic 40* underquilt, or keep on trekking with down underquilt.

Does it get and stay damp?

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I tried a CCF pad in a DL once. In a short while, I could feel a trickle of sweat rolling down the center of my back. If I needed to use some kind of non-breathable barrier, I’d put the pad between my hammock and UQP so there’s some air gap that is shielded by the UQP. If I’m not using a UQ, it means it’s pretty darn warm anyway.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Unless you plan to sleep on the ground with the pad, the pad adds no value over the quilt IMHO. CCF pads trap moisture in a hammock and can get you wet. They also don't cover well, bend well, or insulate well in a hammock.

You might take a short torso foamy for shelter sleep in addition to your quilt, but i wouldnt give up the quilt.

If you dont believe me, try the foam in the hammock for a week.

I just take my 20F underquilt with me year-round.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I had the same experience as Cougarmeat. Hot, sweaty. Net very enjoyable.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    When I'm not bringing a UQ, I use a torso-length Thermarest Prolite instead of CCF. Packs down smaller, offers more comfort in the hammock or on the ground than straight CCF does. Doesn't seem to have the same sweaty back issues as CCF, either. It's very comfortable - comfortable enough that I went years before starting to use an UQ.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Among a host of others, I have an Evozote type CCF that reputed to be the best CCF material. It stays wonderfully in place in a DL hammock. However, as others have noted does tend toward more perspiration on the side toward the CCF. My experience with inflatable insulated pads (IIPs) in GEs and several models of 90 degree hammocks it they cause less perspiration, but do not totally eliminate the effect. A UQ is the most comfortable solution, but many hammockers successfully utilize IIPs, e.g. GEs, Bridge Hammocks, WBRR, Draumr, HT90s, Haven, and etc. I like the suggestion of giving a IIP a go and see if it works for you, as some folks are sweat hogs and others aren't. If a IIP works for you it can be useful as a go to ground or more waterproof/weather proof option.

Switching out UQ for in-hammock CCF pad during warmer weather on AT

Echoing others here; I’d stick with the UQ. If anything I’d double down and get a down UQ.
    Either way depending on when you start your 40 won’t be enough for the worst weather

Worst case bring both.

If this is really for a thru (nobo?) I wouldn’t worry about it. Truthfully, by the time you get there you’ll have this all figured out anyway

Hammock
    Dream hammock darien
    Tarp
    Hg Winter palace
    Insulation
    HG burrow, WB yeti
    Suspension
    Spider web 1.5
    Thanks for the comments. I need a pad of some type in case I need to (rarely but possible) sleep in a shelter or on ground, but I’ve only spent 1 night in a shelter in 7 weeks. I’m currently using a torso length inflatable as a backup for colder nights, mostly for my legs since the yeti doesn’t cover them. ccf would be more reliable. Also I haven’t liked the inflatable. When you use it slightly under inflated, the air moves more to your upper legs due to my lower back being heavier, I guess I could pull it up more towards my head. But I don’t want a sweaty wet pad so I may just stick with the UQ.

I had a pad mailed to me for the smokies and stubbornly held on to it through Virginia thinking the convenience of using shelters was worth it.

In that time I think I used it twice? Turns out when it’s rainy and you want to use a shelter everyone else wants to too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast