DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Lots of great comments here - IMHO buy something used Don't spend more than around 50 to 75 bucks. Cut your teeth on that one sell it later after you know what you're doing. New machines in my personal opinion are not built like the old ones and unless you're willing to spend upwards of a couple of $400 probably not as good as some of the older models.

I would take a peek at craigslist Facebook etc and look and see if you can find a used one.

A teflon foot is helpful but just basic tissue paper is probably more helpful in my personal opinion. You lay the tissue paper on your feed dogs and your slippery material goes on top - a tissue paper allows the material to feed and you can just tear it off later once you wash the material the tissue paper disintegrates.

You might check out a lady on YouTube she's also here on hammock forums she goes by jellyfish. I'll post a link to her YouTube channel;

https://youtube.com/channel/UCis_G8K3XHk0hyKBcdsckZw

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    My wife has what she tells me is a good Janome machine. What are things to look for to determine whether it'll cut it or not?

Think I found an online coupon and ended up not too much above $150 on a Singer 4452 and it's been great. Built a backpack, some small bags and next up is some clothing. It can do decent bar tacks through webbing and a padded hip belt...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
    My wife has what she tells me is a good Janome machine. What are things to look for to determine whether it'll cut it or not?
    Try it out! Stitch some tree straps; make a stuff sack. Janome is a good brand -- your wife knows. (Plus, she already knows how to set up and adjust it, so listen to her when she answers your questions.) Be sure to check out ]Jellyfish's vids[/B] on how to handle these slippery fabrics -- link was posted above to her extremely informative instructions. There are also some videos on basic sewing machine skills.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The Janome HD1000 is a fantastic machine with all-metal working parts. It'll sew whatever you want and will last a very long time. Excellent stitch quality as well. The price brand-new is around $330, but you may be able to find a used one closer to your desired price range.

Whatever you do end up going with, make sure all of the working parts are metal, not plastic.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG The Journey
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Janome is a good brand -- your wife knows. (Plus, she already knows how to set up and adjust it, so listen to her when she answers your questions.)
    Haha, in this case, I'm afraid my wife can't be of much help. She bought this thinking she'd magically be able to sew anything effortlessly, but she gave up after a few tries. It's been sitting gathering dust for at least 10-15 years...

The machine is a Janome MC3500 (MemoryCraft) but I can't find much specs for it. I guess as you said, try it out...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12