SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Beginner sewing machine recommendation

I'm looking to get a basic sewing machine for some DIY projects I gave in mind. I'd like something that can do bar tacks (e.g.: for tree straps and the like), but that's not a hard requirement. I'd mostly be sewing smaller things like stuff sacks, mud mats and such, so I don't think I need something too big. Price-wise, I'd like to keep in the $100-150 range (I know...buy once, cry once, but I really don't want to invest a bunch of money in more machine than I need). Also, I would prefer new. While I've been looking at local craigslist, every one seems to indicate that it "needs adjustment". If that's all it needed, they'd probably adjust it and sell it for more $$.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I don't know about new, but I got a used one for $25. 00 at my regional recycling center. It was an older Singer, but it works great.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." -Stephen Hawking

"This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure." -Winston Churchill

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Plenty of people don't want to take the time to learn how to adjust it.

Another idea is to ask around -- someone you know may have one sitting around not being used & be happy to (maybe even) give it to you. The other bonus is that they likely know how to use and adjust it, so you can ask them for advice if you run into issues.

IMO, older machines are better -- lots of heavy metal instead of plastic parts. Most of them are tanks, they just keep running and running....

Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I'm looking to get a basic sewing machine for some DIY projects I gave in mind.
    My wife and I use the Singer 4423, which is supposed to be "heavy duty." It'll definitely do bar tacks as she made me some straps. It does way more than I need it to do in terms of stiches and currently runs about $170-180 on Amazon. I got lucky and hit a sale price of around $90 or so, four years ago from Amazon.

If I were looking for another sewing machine, I might take a chance at our local Habitat for Humanity store, which sells used goods. They always have sewing machines there, but it's a gamble whether they're any good or not. On the other hand, the prices aren't bad and it's not far from my house and easy to shop.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    The Singer 4411 will work fine and in the states should be available at a very reasonable price ... 4423 is almost the same. It will tackle pretty much anything you through at it gear wise.

Some unasked for advice, if you haven't sewn before, be prepared to learn how. It will take some time to get a feel for the machine, a feel for the settings ... a few smaller projects, a lot of reading or Youtube are prescribed.

When I first started, I fought with the machine for about a week solid, finally came to a truce, where it would work as it should and I would use it as I should. It isn't hard, you just need some basics skills, patience and learn to think and not rush.

JellyFishs's (from this forum) YouTube channel is invaluable for learning stuff .... try a few of the projects she covers, that will help get a feel for the machine and develop your skillset.

Brian

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    The Singer 4411 will work fine and in the states should be available at a very reasonable price ... 4423 is almost the same. It will tackle pretty much anything you through at it gear wise.

Some unasked for advice, if you haven't sewn before, be prepared to learn how. It will take some time to get a feel for the machine, a feel for the settings ... a few smaller projects, a lot of reading or Youtube are prescribed.

When I first started, I fought with the machine for about a week solid, finally came to a truce, where it would work as it should and I would use it as I should. It isn't hard, you just need some basics skills, patience and learn to think and not rush.

JellyFishs's (from this forum) YouTube channel is invaluable for learning stuff .... try a few of the projects she covers, that will help get a feel for the machine and develop your skillset.

Brian
    Thanks for the advice. I do know how to sew manually, but I'm slow and tired of stabbing myself in the fingers. It takes me like 10 minutes and a half dozen f-bombs to sew on a single button.

It looks like the 4411 and 4423 are practically the same price. Is there any specific difference or reason to pick one over the other?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    It looks like the 4411 and 4423 are practically the same price. Is there any specific difference or reason to pick one over the other?
    The last 2 numbers of the model are how many different stitches the machine has. 4411 has 11, 4423 has 23 etc. I personally use the sum total of 2 stitches, straight and zig-zag.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    So is that basically the only difference between the various "heavy duty" singers, up to a point. I've seen some that are digital, have fold out tables, etc... so not including those.

i.e. a Singer Heavy Duty 4411 has 11 basic stitches, and a 4423 has 23 basic stitches, and the 52 has 32 basic stitches. Aside from the number of basic stitches they offer, and maybe some color variance, are they the same?

I'm the same as problem_chimp, in that I use: Two different stitches. Straight & Zig-Zag. So even the 4411 has more than I use.

For those that have one, how does the Heavy Duty sew light weight material i.e. 1.1oz or lighter, and how does it sew "slippery" i.e. sil-nylon & sil-poly material.

willin'

edited: ok, so After posting, I did a quick search and got my answer, lol.
    It seems that basically "yes" they are the same machine with the exception of one has more basic stitches. One may also have more accessories, or the needle threading option, or different button sewing option.
    Link: https://www.comparencart.com/compari...on-detail.html

I should've checked before posting, but now it's there for all to see.
    Last edited by u.willie; 05-31-2021 at 14:38. Reason: found more info

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    There are some "tricks" for handling lighter, more slippery materials, but that is more experience and technique than machine.

There are a few accessories you mat want to invest in once you get started, like a walking foot for slippery stuff ... I bought one, but after the first time I haven't used it, I can get the job done with out it.

Also an attachment for rolling a double hem, again, I have used it, but after I got the hang of it, I found manual and pinnng easier with better results.

The 4411 IMO is quite capable of handling any gear "stuff" you want to make, I have done bags, GE hammocks, Bridge hammocks, tarps, quilts ... hemmed wife's pajamas at Christmas, an envelope cover for her cushion last week .... wait .. maybe I didn't think this sewing stuff through quite far enough.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    For those that have one, how does the Heavy Duty sew light weight material i.e. 1.1oz or lighter, and how does it sew "slippery" i.e. sil-nylon & sil-poly material.
    The best thing we ever bought for ours for light slippery materials is a teflon foot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TYLR2/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast