Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Faster than two speeding Flyz?

So I currently have a DCF tarp in a snakeskin...all is good, except that I fiddle way too much with the Dutchware Flyz during setup.

Looking for another option - still light, but faster to get it hung and adjusted. Perhaps the Dutchware Wasps? Other ideas?

would help to see exactly how you use them, but at first glance it's understandable (flyz seem to me to be designed to be nifty and fidget-friendly, not quick and practical . i mean it as a compliment).

personally, i suggest to attach the ridgeline to the tree straps, not directly to the tree, and like to use this line tensioner for that purpose, or its VT version. in this case the steel quick link would be the tree strap (if using a continuous ridge line), or it would be the ridgeline tieout, if using a split ridgeline. you could also use linelocs or similar to achieve the same purpose.

to make things simpler and less fiddly, i recommend switching to a continuous ridgeline for a try (might be even more important than the flyz even), if you're currently using a split ridgeline. having to both tension and center the tarp ridgeline at the same time can be fiddly especially at first, whereas with a CRL, you tension, and then you position the tarp where you want it without having to readjust tension; so, even though there's more steps, it's less fiddly, as you have separated two tasks that can now be tackled independently of eachother. so maybe give the flyz another chance (don't ask me how to use them for a crl though, but i'm sure it's possible; you'll just need to add some blake hitches to position the tarp on the ridgeline)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    I had the Flyz, but those could be a hassle because I kept having to slide the Flyz back and forth on my Zing-it line. So, I switched to the Stingerz, and like the setup much better.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/stingerz/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    would help to see exactly how you use them, but at first glance it's understandable (flyz seem to me to be designed to be nifty and fidget-friendly, not quick and practical . i mean it as a compliment).

personally, i suggest to attach the ridgeline to the tree straps, not directly to the tree, and like to use this line tensioner for that purpose, or its VT version. in this case the steel quick link would be the tree strap (if using a continuous ridge line), or it would be the ridgeline tieout, if using a split ridgeline. you could also use linelocs or similar to achieve the same purpose.

to make things simpler and less fiddly, i recommend switching to a continuous ridgeline for a try (might be even more important than the flyz even), if you're currently using a split ridgeline. having to both tension and center the tarp ridgeline at the same time can be fiddly especially at first, whereas with a CRL, you tension, and then you position the tarp where you want it without having to readjust tension; so, even though there's more steps, it's less fiddly, as you have separated two tasks that can now be tackled independently of eachother. so maybe give the flyz another chance (don't ask me how to use them for a crl though, but i'm sure it's possible; you'll just need to add some blake hitches to position the tarp on the ridgeline)
    Thanks very much for the response - I think I understand. Gaping rabbit hole now requires my attention.....

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Are you looking for ways to tie your RL to a tree, or tie your tarp to the RL (assuming a CRL)?

Either way, I use mini evoloops.

To tie my RL to the tree, I use a fixed loop and connect it to a mini evoloop to connect to the first tree, then steal a loop (the first step of a truckers hitch), and connect it to the second mini evoloop to tie off the second tree, a slippery half hitch prevents slippage.

To connect my tarp to the RL, I have mini evoloops larks headed to the tie off points of the tarp, and some prussic is that I connect to them.

Soft shackle connections, FTW. The best part is that you can make your own mini evoloops by tying an Ashley’s stopper in a length of amsteel, so this set up is cheap to try.

FTR, I also use mini evoloops (and a slippery half hitch) to tension and tie off my guy lines to my tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    I had the Flyz, but those could be a hassle because I kept having to slide the Flyz back and forth on my Zing-it line. So, I switched to the Stingerz, and like the setup much better.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/stingerz/

Interesting - do you use one on each side?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post
    Yes, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
    Are you looking for ways to tie your RL to a tree, or tie your tarp to the RL (assuming a CRL)?

Either way, I use mini evoloops.

To tie my RL to the tree, I use a fixed loop and connect it to a mini evoloop to connect to the first tree, then steal a loop (the first step of a truckers hitch), and connect it to the second mini evoloop to tie off the second tree, a slippery half hitch prevents slippage.

To connect my tarp to the RL, I have mini evoloops larks headed to the tie off points of the tarp, and some prussic is that I connect to them.

Soft shackle connections, FTW. The best part is that you can make your own mini evoloops by tying an Ashley’s stopper in a length of amsteel, so this set up is cheap to try.

FTR, I also use mini evoloops (and a slippery half hitch) to tension and tie off my guy lines to my tarp.
    Nice - I use evoloops in my hammock suspension but had not considered them for the tarp....

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    Very easy. Pretty light. Also easier to use in cold weather than the tiny Dutch bling, IMO.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post
    I started with a Dutch CRL (with a Wasp and Dutch Hook) but went with split ridgelines and Stingerz with my second tarp. However, you can thread a split ring (or use the one on your tarp if it has one) onto one of the eyes of the Tarp Flyz and use it like a harder-to-remove Stingerz. I've seen pics somewhere where they tied a small loop of Zingit between one of the eyes and the tarp D ring as well. Just make sure you have enough line to go around the tree and back to the antenna to anchor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast