Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reporting back on progress...

So in looking at the recommendations and learning more about tension knots, I have made some changes and now have:

Split ridgeline out of 1.8mm reflective, sheathed line.
    At the ends of the ridgeline(s) I am using Flyz as temporary fixed hooks, but plan to replace with dutch hooks.
    At each end of the tarp, I have a Blake's hitch using the same 1.8mm line, attached to the RL.

So far I like how quick it is to set up and to shift the tarp left or right.

The Blake's Hitches seem to hold well and yet are easy enough to move. Any concerns about using a Blake's with this line?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I use a split ridge line, with Dutch Stingerz attached to the tarp, just like in the picture that comes with the hardware. It's up in 30 seconds and easy to center over the hammock in another 30 seconds. Figure 9's work well also, and are bigger and easier to see & handle.

I leave the side guy lines attached to the tarp. I have Warbonnet Tarp Ticks on a loop on MSR groundhog stakes. The loop is great for pulling the stakes up, and the ticks make for easy tension adjustments.

I used to do it all with knots, but I like playing with the bling.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I use a split ridge line, with Dutch Stingerz attached to the tarp, just like in the picture that comes with the hardware. It's up in 30 seconds and easy to center over the hammock in another 30 seconds. Figure 9's work well also, and are bigger and easier to see & handle.

I leave the side guy lines attached to the tarp. I have Warbonnet Tarp Ticks on a loop on MSR groundhog stakes. The loop is great for pulling the stakes up, and the ticks make for easy tension adjustments.

I used to do it all with knots, but I like playing with the bling.

Ah, bling. I also leave the side guys attached (dutch fishhooks), and just throw them into the tarp as I roll it up before sliding the mesh snakeskin over it. Never any tangles.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post
    Reporting back on progress...

So in looking at the recommendations and learning more about tension knots, I have made some changes and now have:

Split ridgeline out of 1.8mm reflective, sheathed line.
    At the ends of the ridgeline(s) I am using Flyz as temporary fixed hooks, but plan to replace with dutch hooks.
    At each end of the tarp, I have a Blake's hitch using the same 1.8mm line, attached to the RL.

So far I like how quick it is to set up and to shift the tarp left or right.

The Blake's Hitches seem to hold well and yet are easy enough to move. Any concerns about using a Blake's with this line?
    hmm, so dp i understand correctly: split ridgeline, but instead of having the ridgeline halfs attached directly to thje tarp tieouts, the tieouts now have blakes hitches in which the ridgeline halfs nest, so you get an extra adjustment point?

if that's the case, then you can 1. add a tending loop to the blake hitch, as i show in the thread where i describe that "blake hitch soft shackle" and 2. consider if you need anything else (with the tending loop added, this might be all the adjustment and tensioning you need, all in one). and maybe 3. if you feel you need more leverage, you can always add a second blake hitch on each side "floating" on the ridgeline, you can use that to create a movable/repositionable truckers hitch and get near 3/1 mechanical advantage. this is possible once you add the tending loop i mentioned at 1.

to answer your question directly, if the blake holds well under your intended load (+ some), and is easy to move when you need it, then it sounds good, nothing to worry about. just suggesting what to do to make it even more useful, above (not saying there's anything wrong)

perhaps consider replacing the flyz in their current purpose with the uni-shackle arrangement of knots (as i very imaginatively called it). it's basically a loop + a stopper knot tied at the end of the line, in such a way that it enables you to have a quick release/connect soft shackle integrated into any line you want. you could use it to clip over the standing end of the line after you go around the tree (as you would do with a hook, and likely are doing now with the flyz, if i understand correctly).

uni shackle thread

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    hmm, so dp i understand correctly: split ridgeline, but instead of having the ridgeline halfs attached directly to thje tarp tieouts, the tieouts now have blakes hitches in which the ridgeline halfs nest, so you get an extra adjustment point?
    Believe you have parsed it correctly!

Thanks for the help and the additional ideas. The tending loop in particular may get some attention...

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I bought a couple Flyz off someone here on HF and I like how simple they are. I'm not sure where the fiddle factor is for how you setup, but the tight way the Zingit loops around the Flyz through the two holes did irritate me until I realize it had better be tight or it would slip.

I'm generally not one for hardware, but I make an exception for a couple of Dutch's tchotchkes that make my setup faster and keep it stable over several nights.

Have you tried Figure 9's? It may be easier to adjust on the ridgeline but they still seem to lock pretty good. I swapped them out only because after I had to file the teeth off the wedgie/lock thing because it was chewing up my cordage.

Quote Originally Posted by packman9000 View Post
    I bought a couple Flyz off someone here on HF and I like how simple they are. I'm not sure where the fiddle factor is for how you setup, but the tight way the Zingit loops around the Flyz through the two holes did irritate me until I realize it had better be tight or it would slip.

I'm generally not one for hardware, but I make an exception for a couple of Dutch's tchotchkes that make my setup faster and keep it stable over several nights.

Have you tried Figure 9's? It may be easier to adjust on the ridgeline but they still seem to lock pretty good. I swapped them out only because after I had to file the teeth off the wedgie/lock thing because it was chewing up my cordage.
    My issue with the flies was simply having to unwrap, remove the loop, slide and redo in order to move it - the removal/reset of the loop on the Flyz being the fiddliest part.

You're the second person to mention figure 9's...will have to give those a look.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    My preference are the plastic toggles that Myerstech sells. They're cheaper than Dutch bling, and seem to work much better for me. They hold tension very well, are easier to adjust, and they even hold tension pretty well before locking the line- which also makes things a bit easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    My preference are the plastic toggles that Myerstech sells. They're cheaper than Dutch bling, and seem to work much better for me. They hold tension very well, are easier to adjust, and they even hold tension pretty well before locking the line- which also makes things a bit easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Those look worth exploring. Thanks for the lead!

Quote Originally Posted by bwhntr View Post
    Believe you have parsed it correctly!

Thanks for the help and the additional ideas. The tending loop in particular may get some attention...
    cheers, do let us know how you go. this thinggie with the single line soft shackle + blake hitch + tending loop needs more testing, so far it's just me using it, so i don't know how useful it is, all feedback appreciated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast