Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Reaffirming yet again that Mule tape is not a good option... a tiny amount of slippage does significant damage.

I've also found that when I tie it to trees it snags on everything and quickly becomes ragged and tattered.
    I’ve been away from the forums for a while and missed out on Mule Tape altogether. (It appears I didn’t miss out on much!)

That said, I’m following my gut and training on this. I’ve redone my rig but am using Dutch’s Spider straps becket’ed to a fat rappel ring that is larked to a continuous loop piece of Dyneema. I figure the rappel ring will minimize bend radius of the webbing and eliminate the cord on cord friction.

I’m not really worried about adding an ounce or two to my rig. The peace of mind and old school indoctrination that one should never have rope on rope (or webbing) contact is more important to me. As they say, old habits are hard to break!

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What can commonly create friction problems is when releasing these knots. If you do nothing to loosen the CL and pull the tag end of the webbing very hard, you can cause serious damage to the CL with only one pull if you have a big bight and vigorously yank it through that very tight loop. Which is why it is essential to use a little pull loop on the CL to loosen it before pulling on the tag end of the suspension webbing.
    Really useful information. The becket hitch has never jammed on me, so I removed pull loops last year with the belief they were overkill. The premise was my 140 pound body gives me a free pass. Since my preference is to error on the side of caution, pull loops are being reattached to my CL.

This forum is a great source of information.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Really useful information. The becket hitch has never jammed on me, so I removed pull loops last year with the belief they were overkill. The premise was my 140 pound body gives me a free pass. Since my preference is to error on the side of caution, pull loops are being reattached to my CL.

This forum is a great source of information.
    I must confess, I learned this the hard way!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12