Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question on packing your hammock set-up

I am a long time backpacker but new to team hammock. I use a pack liner and tend to shove my down and stuff I want to keep dry in the bottom of the pack without stuff sacks. I am wondering if folks leave the top quilt zipped up in the hammock, keep the bottom quilt attached by the suspension, and just cram the whole enchilada into the bottom of the pack/liner? This would mean you could leave the two sided hammock stuff sack behind and in theory have you whole set up ready to go when you pulled it out. Obviously the hammock would need to be completely dry and you would pack your tarp and tree straps separately.

Are there concerns about the quilts being snagged on say that bug net zippers and such? Does this work or would I be smarter to pack the two quilts and hammock separately?

Images
    What you described is what I do- works beautifully. My hammock doesn't have any zippers- I use a big rectangle of netting draped over the ridgeline and folded around the ends of the hammock with small spring type paper clips to keep it closed. The bottom of the netting is open but mosquitoes and flies don't seem to come in that way. I don't remove the suspension but if it's wet or sappy it goes in a plastic bag. I put the head end on top so when I set up I lean my pack against the tree, tie up the webbing around the trunk, then pick up the pack and walk towards the other tree, feeding the whole thing out as I go.

Will be interest to hear what others do - I had been thinking about doing the same thing...

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch

I use this hammock catch all sack from Simply Light Designs - sort of the heir to the Lazy Slug tube. Quilts, suspension, and all go right into the sack and into the pack it goes. It hangs on the foot end of the hammock when the hammock is deployed. Easy peasy.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I’ve got a black bishop bag that’s big enough for my hammock, underquilt, UQP, and pillow. Makes it easy to deploy (without anything dragging on the ground, risking damage). I just store the top quilt first in the backpack, then put this in afterward.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 360
    Tarp
    SaphiRose 10x12
    Insulation
    ENO UQ/TQ
    TIL I might be able to just shove everything in at the end of a trip. Never thought about it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Catch-all from SLD. Makes life easier on a 5:30am pack up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 11-foot
    Tarp
    HammockGear Cuben
    Insulation
    HammockGear quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    I put my hammock, straps, tarp and stakes at the bottom of my pack. There's a zipper at the bottom that lets me access them without affecting the rest of the stuff in the pack (good if it's raining; I can get the tarp up and the hammock started before pulling out the rest of my stuff).

I put my bear canister in right above that. A compactor trash bag goes in next. My quilts and clothes go inside the trash bag and I'm able to tuck the quilts down and around the canister.

After rolling the compactor bag closed, I put in my packa and rain coat at the top. What little is left to pack generally goes in the side pockets (first aid kit, etc.) or the stretchy pocket (water filter).

I finally came up with this approach after trying a bunch of other things. Works well for me; ymmv.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have tried taking my Warbonnet XLC and keeping the UQ attached, and putting it all in a black bishop/compression sack I made. The idea was I could cinch everything down and stuff it in the bottom of my pack. I ended up giving up on the idea. It took up to much room at the bottom of my Granite Gear Blaze pack.

Now I just stuff the quilts in the bottom in a trash compactor bag then stuff everything down on top of the quilts. This method seems to work better, the quilts conform to the shape of the pack and all the items fit around the quilts on top and it keeps things from banging and rattling around. Then I can just use the compression straps on the outside to stow away my hammock and tarp, leaving more room inside the pack.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post

I use this hammock catch all sack from Simply Light Designs - sort of the heir to the Lazy Slug tube. Quilts, suspension, and all go right into the sack and into the pack it goes. It hangs on the foot end of the hammock when the hammock is deployed. Easy peasy.
    Me too, works great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast