Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up VIDEO: Uwharrie National Forest NC 3-day 20-mile Backpacking Loop

Uwharrie National Forest is the closest backpacking option for millions of North Carolinians. The cooler months are the ideal time to hang in Uwharrie before the heat, bugs and snakes become a factor. Joey and I set out on this trip in February, our first backpacking excursion of the year.

We started at the 24/27 Trailhead in Southern Uwharrie. A bit of rain accompanied us for the beginning of our hike but quickly cleared off. We chose to tackle the Dutchman's Creek Trail portion of the loop first, it has more elevation gain and descent than the Uwharrie Trail portion. After about 5 miles we set up camp in a holler along Big Island Creek. Temps ended up dropping below freezing for a chilly night.

Our second day saw us cover about 10 miles, half along the Dutchman's Creek Trail and half along the Uwharrie Trail. There was a 40-mile trail run going on so we came across a good amount of runners - but the trails didn't feel too crowded. A day hiker we passed informed us that rain was expected to start around 5 PM, so we hustled to get to camp and set up before then. We enjoyed a relaxing evening with just a little sprinkle.

Day 3 finished off the trip for us along the Uwharrie Trail. We had several beautiful backcountry brooks to rockhop during this section. After another 5 miles we made it back to the trailhead and finished off our 3-day adventure. Uwharrie always feels like home to me.

Thanks for watching!
    Layne

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Thanks for the trip video Layne. I was on the lower Dutchman/Uwharrie loop the same day as the 40-mile Ultra too - doing a day hike with my two dogs. Always enjoy the woods there. Nice to see some familiar trails. Keep up the videos!

Hammock
    Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Another good video Layne! Thanks for the report. I like how the video editing and style have progressed. I enjoy the temperature graph and the daily milage report on the map with stick pointer. Keep the hikes and reports coming!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Thanks for the trip video Layne. I was on the lower Dutchman/Uwharrie loop the same day as the 40-mile Ultra too - doing a day hike with my two dogs. Always enjoy the woods there. Nice to see some familiar trails. Keep up the videos!
    Small world twis! Maybe our paths crossed out there?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdums View Post
    Another good video Layne! Thanks for the report. I like how the video editing and style have progressed. I enjoy the temperature graph and the daily milage report on the map with stick pointer. Keep the hikes and reports coming!
    Thanks for sharing what you specifically liked! That helps me know what to continue focusing on for future videos.

• + New Posts