WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

Ridgerunner UQP

Curious to understand the difference between UQPs made by 2QZQ and Warbonnet for ridgerunner and any preferences. I did also look at poncho style uqp but don't think I would get use out of it. If you are aware of any others out there, I would be open to those as well. My only concern is it feels like the UQPs I've seen droop down much further than I'm use to with a gathered end, not sure if that is the case. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Mescript, from what I understand, there was sort of an evolutionary development in the sizing of the RR UQ (by 2QZQ) - a lot had to do with the width of the fabric on hand. You are not wrong about the droop - it did seem excessive compared to my experience with GE hammocks. But it does have to accommodate various thicknesses of UQ’s, DL pads, etc. That said, I had mine modified - taking out about six inches in width.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescript View Post
    Curious to understand the difference between UQPs made by 2QZQ and Warbonnet for ridgerunner and any preferences. I did also look at poncho style uqp but don't think I would get use out of it. If you are aware of any others out there, I would be open to those as well. My only concern is it feels like the UQPs I've seen droop down much further than I'm use to with a gathered end, not sure if that is the case. Thanks!
    I have the WB poncho/UQP for the WBRR. Mine is sil-nylon, so NOT breathable. But that also means as wind and water proof as my tarp. I have not so far noticed any condensation issues, since it hangs pretty loose. Especially if used with my synthetic AHE UQ(not too thick) designed for the RR, then it hangs pretty loose for sure. Sometimes I use various forms of vapor barrier clothing or space blankets on top of under insulation, and when I do that I never get any condensation anyway, my body vapor can not get to the outer cold layer to condense. If I did so with this set up, I might add a little shock cord mod to pull it in just a bit tighter on the sides. If I can ever commit to using the poncho as rain gear and pack cover, this would be a pretty light way to add an UQP. When I have used the poncho, it has worked pretty good, except my forearms are not covered, so I would have to figure a way to deal with that especially if it is cold and windy as well as rain. Hasn't mattered much in the summer.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have the WB poncho/UQP for the WBRR. Mine is sil-nylon, so NOT breathable. But that also means as wind and water proof as my tarp. I have not so far noticed any condensation issues, since it hangs pretty loose. Especially if used with my synthetic AHE UQ(not too thick) designed for the RR, then it hangs pretty loose for sure. Sometimes I use various forms of vapor barrier clothing or space blankets on top of under insulation, and when I do that I never get any condensation anyway, my body vapor can not get to the outer cold layer to condense. If I did so with this set up, I might add a little shock cord mod to pull it in just a bit tighter on the sides. If I can ever commit to using the poncho as rain gear and pack cover, this would be a pretty light way to add an UQP. When I have used the poncho, it has worked pretty good, except my forearms are not covered, so I would have to figure a way to deal with that especially if it is cold and windy as well as rain. Hasn't mattered much in the summer.
    I also went with an AHE UQ, as close as it runs next to the bottom of the RR I was expecting the same for the UQP.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Mescript, from what I understand, there was sort of an evolutionary development in the sizing of the RR UQ (by 2QZQ) - a lot had to do with the width of the fabric on hand. You are not wrong about the droop - it did seem excessive compared to my experience with GE hammocks. But it does have to accommodate various thicknesses of UQ’s, DL pads, etc. That said, I had mine modified - taking out about six inches in width.
    Did you do the modification yourself? I only have a single layer RR so not intention to use a pad.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE RidgeCreek xl
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I have the warbonnet UQP and even with a 3 inch pad and AHE underquilt it still seems to hang down a bit. Doesn't bother me too much as long as it isn't very windy. It can be a little noisy flapping around, but I had to have that bushwhack camo to match my thunderfly )

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    No, I sent it in. It wa very old - probably first generation. It always looked a little billowy to me and more importantly, to another adventurer who shuns spiders and ants, it could be touching the ground. That she prefers a 12, rather than 13, foot apex distance added to the slack. But it is easy enough to just gather the excess fabric yourself and use a few clothespins to hold it. I suggest that first - to determine how much you want to remove. Remember, you want it to breath and you’ll have different depths of UQ depending upon their temp rating. So you don’t want the UQP snug - but you probably want it off the ground so it doesn’t become a critter pathway.

Note Infrasteller’s RR UQP DIY project in the next sub-forum.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts