Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock options for a newbie

Recently, I’ve been looking into getting a proper camping hammock after trying out some run of the mill ENO singlenests many of my friends have while out on Boy Scout camps here in the PNW. I’ve narrowed down the parameters I’m looking for in a hammock to,
    1. Having a bugnet, but being able to stow/remove it
    2. Having a ridgeline
    3. diagonal lay
    4. Ideally at least 11x5 feet

So far, I’ve identified a few interesting hammocks I’d be interested in buying on a budget of around 100-130 dollars, and I’d like to hear what you all have to say regarding my choices.
    -ENO junglenest from REI(I’ve got a 30 dollar gift card and there’s a sale going on)
    -Dutchware half-zip
    -warbonnet eldorado
    -hammock gear bug net hammock
    -dream Darien rts 1.6
    -potentially a WBBB or Chameleon used?

I’d be interested to know what you guys think about which hammock I should go for, as I’ve heard amazing things about every one besides the ENO, which I’m only considering because it’s cheaper relative to the rest. I’ve also heard about a Memorial Day sale in the past for warbonnet, does anyone have any news regarding that?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralemon View Post
    I’d be interested to know what you guys think about which hammock I should go for...
    Probably not the most informative answer you're going to get, but I'd say any of the hammocks you've listed would be enjoyable to own and use.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I own an Eldorado and sleep in it at home.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralemon View Post
    Recently, I’ve been looking into getting a proper camping hammock after trying out some run of the mill ENO singlenests many of my friends have while out on Boy Scout camps here in the PNW. I’ve narrowed down the parameters I’m looking for in a hammock to,
    1. Having a bugnet, but being able to stow/remove it
    2. Having a ridgeline
    3. diagonal lay
    4. Ideally at least 11x5 feet

So far, I’ve identified a few interesting hammocks I’d be interested in buying on a budget of around 100-130 dollars, and I’d like to hear what you all have to say regarding my choices.
    -ENO junglenest from REI(I’ve got a 30 dollar gift card and there’s a sale going on)
    -Dutchware half-zip
    -warbonnet eldorado
    -hammock gear bug net hammock
    -dream Darien rts 1.6
    -potentially a WBBB or Chameleon used?

I’d be interested to know what you guys think about which hammock I should go for, as I’ve heard amazing things about every one besides the ENO, which I’m only considering because it’s cheaper relative to the rest. I’ve also heard about a Memorial Day sale in the past for warbonnet, does anyone have any news regarding that?
    Thanks
    Any of those hammocks would probably give you what you are looking for with what you specify. Personally I find the ENO to be a bit short for me, but I'm more comfortable in an 11 foot hammock, YMMV. Width is also a consideration, and the ENO JungleNest is only 58 inches wide so you may find the sweet spot a little harder to hit if you're tall, especially if you're used to the more generous width of the DoubleNest. With that said, that is really the only quibble I've ever had with ENO - the fabrics are quite comfortable IMO - they just never hit the Goldilocks zone for me.

Having never used the HG bugnet hammock I can't speak to it from personal experience, but anything you get from the folks at HammockGear is good gear and they're great people who will help you out with your purchase - I've bought quilts, tarps, and accessories from them in the past and they make quality gear and are very responsive on this forum and in email. The WarBonnet BlackBird original is a 10' hammock, but has more than enough width and is a very comfortable hammock if you are under 6' tall - the XLC is an 11' hammock and a better choice if you're taller. Both are amazing bits of kit, and WarBonnet is also really good with service.

I'm currently rolling with the DutchWare Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon and it's about my favorite hammock so far - it's an 11' hammock and modular, so I can swap an asymmetrical bug net for a symmetrical if I want, or no bug net, or a top cover, add a "sidecar" for gear storage - it's fantastic. I'll be shelving it for my upcoming thru hike only because I'm lightening up and shaving ounces - but for everyday use it's my go-to and best bang for the buck IMHO and the folks at DutchWare make stellar gear all the way around. Best part about most of these vendors is that they're almost all on the forums and you can talk to any of them and they're great folks. Dutch is very approachable - though very busy.

But there's tons of other options out there. Dream Hammock makes an amazing product and you cannot go wrong with anything you get from them.

I know that this didn't really answer your question - but I hope that it gives a little of my personal perspectives on some of the things you might want to consider when making your purchase. Buying your sleep system is a very personal choice and "one man's meat is another man's poison" - you have to make the decision that works for you. The only way to know which one really works for you is to get into one, unfortunately - that's why so many of us have so many hammocks. The good news is that if you can get to a hang, people will let you check theirs out and see if you like them.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If removeable bug net is a major criterion, keep in mind that DW half zip and DH Darien do not have removeable bug nets; they only zip on one side.

The HG net zips away fully and stows in a mesh pocket, but I don't think it is completely removeable. (I really like this feature, however!)

DH Darien is asymmetrical, so be sure to confirm lay direction when ordering. Most RTS are right lay (which means head LEFT, oddly enough) which could cause some grief if you prefer to sleep head right.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Unfortunately, the chameleon is just out of my price range, or else I would have impulse bought it. I’ve tried one and admittedly, it did feel great, but then again, I only had my previous experiences with singlenests to compare to. I’m also about 6 foot, and got a small ways to grow still, so the ENO was a bit of a budget pick on my part. Does Dutch run any promotions/sales? If so, I’d probably buy the chameleon.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    One other suggestion: check out the Dutch Half Wit. The bug net only covers the upper body. It is permanently attached but can be pulled out of the way. It is lighter than the half zip and chameleon and does not have a zipper on the edge which can be uncomfortable when you’re just sitting in it. It is also less expensive than the others making it a great budget option.

I considered the half wit, but unfortunately during the summer I get eaten alive by bugs, and I really don’t mind the extra weight.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I have one of Dutch’s net less in a wide. One of my favorite hammocks. I think I paid $40 for it. I saw some time back he was selling 12’ in blue with blemish fabric for like $25.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    An inexpensive 11' Onewind double, that has been used for over 100 nights, is my current. I'd get it again if I needed another and was on a budget.
    They even have a bundle, w/ a fronkey bug net and tarp/stages/lines/etc for like a hundred and a half.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast