Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taut guy lines pull my tarp down too low, looser guy lines make the tarp a flappy nightmare

Setup: Continuous rl with tarp sliding on prusiks.
    Was out testing my HG Journey and couldn't find the hang I desired. Tightning the sides pulled the tarp down from above my head to shoulder height. Put the tarp above the rl to give extra support, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Losened the guy lines to not pull the tarp down as much, but this left me with a flappy tarp even though the wind was fairly moderate (neither me nor the plants around seemed to notice the wind).

So I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution to it.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    What kind of cordage are u using for the ridgeline
    Sounds like it's too stretchy
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Mini fly
    Insulation
    Diamondback/wooki
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    For a continuous ridgeline I tend to put it over the tarp. The ridgeline will take up some of the tension/sag when u tension the guy lines. I ran into this with my silnylon tarp.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but just hang it higher - the same amount of inches higher that it is currently "too low".

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Also just a guess but check the prussiks aren’t slipping.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Welcome Dinger-B2Z

Even though I’ve been hanging a while, sometimes my tarp looks like a gypsy camp.

Too improve, I’ve been making sure I have a taut tarp ridgeline. Then I try to get a good angle for tarp guylines. I don’t pull tarp guylines as tight as tarp ridgeline.
    Sometimes it’s good to use more than just the four corners of tarp guylines. Maybe use a guyline or two in addition to corner guylines

Good luck

Images
    Yep, as mentioned in the above posts, start with your tree straps as high as you can reach...on tip-toes.

Pole mods to keep the tarp taut.

Polyester silicon material, never silicon nylon for wet continued weather taut pitch.

Tarp ridge-line should be banjo tight tension, without endangering the tarp ridge-line itself.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Sounds like too much give - do you have shock-cord in the system somewhere? If you pull you ridge line tight, and slide out the ends of the tarp with knots/hardware that will hold, It shouldn’t move much from its distance from the ridgeline. In an attempt to get away from tarp flap, it seems you must have really cranked down on those guylines?

I’m not familiar with your tarp. If it has straight, rather than catenary cut, sides, it will flap - just like the tent flys in days of old. That’s why the catenary cut (curve) on the sides became fashionable.

In addition to having a tarp with a catenary cut, you can also put shock-cord on the edge tie-out to give them some tension.

But this is outdoors - nature’s gonna win no matter what. I have to remind people - Gore-Tex fabric won’t keep you dry, it will keep you less wet (that wearing non-breathable fabric). So it is with catenary cut edges and shock-cord on the guy tie-outs. It won’t eliminate tarp flap - it will make it less than if you didn’t have those features.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Thanks for all replies.

This is the tarp btw for anyone unfamiliar: https://www.hammocking.no/assets/img...e66-image.jpeg

Just answering everything in this post.

I believe I have this cordage, which I use for both continuous rl and corner pull outs (taut line hitch). I don't feel like there's too much stretch in it, but maybe. And maybe it's too thin.
    https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/d...ope?from_cat=5

One thing though, I find every now and again the knot slides open, so any names of knots I should use a greatly appreciated.

I did put the tarp over the ridgeline, didn't help much. Maybe I should switch to a thicker rl like standard paracord, but it takes up so much more room.

I'm already hanging it pretty high, it's just that when I tighten the guy lines it pulls the tarp and rl downwards so I'm losing what I feel is a unreasonable amount of height.

The prussiks aren't slipping, but they are thicker than the rl so I guess maybe I should switch for a better hold.

I didn't intend to use the center pullout as I've seen tons of setups working fine without it, also holding the center taut I still felt like that side was flapping alot.
    My current conclusion is that even in low to moderate wind, the four side pullouts (at the center of each side) are not optional but a must-use, otherwise there's a whole lotta tarp being allowed to flap around. So pole mods a must it seems like.

Shock-cord on doors only.

Current conclusion:
    1. Super tight rl, might increase to a thicker cord despite my want for a thin line as possible (I bought 10m of Dyneema-cord or whatever it's called).
    2. Not so tight on the pullouts
    3. Pole mods a must use, otherwise there's too much tarp between the rl and the pullouts that can flap around even when it's strung up correctly.

Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Try less stress on your guylines.

Maybe try a cotton cord. Use less tension than you are now, and re tension for stretch before you go to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast