Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I really like the fit of that. I have a few commercial RR UQPs and they all seem baggier than necessary. My experience with the RR is it usually hangs lower than a GE. As such too billowy a UQP can touch the ground or some surrounding foliage. As such, it allows access to critters (ants/spiders). Sure, the net can be zipped. But early in the morning, when you hear that scream of terror, you have to remind the person the spider/ant/mosquito is on the outside of the netting.

I'd easily use your RR UQP over those I've bought.

Did you dimension it for a specific size UQ? For example, the loft allowance for a Lynx 0° (or Scandinavian) would be larger than a 40° model.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-14-2022 at 14:22.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I really like the fit of that. I have a few commercial RR UQPs and they all seem baggier than necessary. My experience with the RR is it usually hangs lower than a GE. As such too billowy a UQP can touch the ground or some surrounding foliage. As such, it allows access to critters (ants/spiders). Sure, the net can be zipped. But early in the morning, when you hear that scream of terror, you have to remind the person the spider/ant/mosquito is on the outside of the netting.

I'd easily use your RR UQP over those I've bought.

Did you dimension it for a specific size UQ? For example, the loft allowance for a Lynx 0° (or Scandinavian) would be larger than a 40° model.
    Have you tried the one made in house by warbonnet? I was looking at purchasing it very soon unless someone recommends a better alternative. Had trouble finding reviews. I’ve never used a UQP but with plans to do a lot more winter camping this year I plan to change that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Mentally, I'm still in the Smokies"
    https://lighterpack.com/r/x0j67m

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly

Ridgerunner underquilt protector

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeyJ View Post
    Have you tried the one made in house by warbonnet? I was looking at purchasing it very soon unless someone recommends a better alternative. Had trouble finding reviews. I’ve never used a UQP but with plans to do a lot more winter camping this year I plan to change that

I like the one sold by warbonnet. Here’s a couple pics in the wild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Blazey3, I'm used to the prices of the simpler design, rectangular, UQP. WB's is more expensive because it is tailored to the shape of the RR - more stitching, more panels.

The dilemma is, a vendor can't keep an inventory of specific UQP's for every hammock manufacturer's products. So a One-Size-Fits-Most product is usually offered. And it usually works.

In my case, I got a very early RR UQP from 2QZQ - at a time when the best dimensions hadn't quite been determined. The UQP's width was determined by the fabric bolt size. As such it was more like a spinnaker sail. Pre-Dutchware's acquisition of them, I had 2QZQ, trim maybe 8 inches off the width.

So it has to be airy, but not drag on the ground. Infrastellar seems to have sized it just right (for that particular UQ).

Dutchware said their Banyon UQP will work with the RR too (i.e. "one size fits most"). If you can handle the extra cost - it is a more custom fit (and probably fabric color matching) - WB's RR looks great.

Now if you are considering winter camping - that's probably a thread for the Camping sub-forum. You could post the question - if it's not out there already - "Should I use a UQP, a fill coverage sock, or a tarp with doors. Note that in the winter, snow becomes building material. And you usually have to dig out under your hammock anyway. So instead of a thin silpoly "door", you could make a 10" thick snow wall at each end of your tarp.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 09-15-2022 at 16:19.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett
    [mention]mo_hunter [/mention]very nice! I didn’t expect them to disappoint. Likely will grab one before the winter season

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Blazey3, I'm used to the prices of the simpler design, rectangular, UQP. WB's is more expensive because it is tailored to the shape of the RR - more stitching, more panels.

The dilemma is, a vendor can't keep an inventory of specific UQP's for every hammock manufacturer's products. So a One-Size-Fits-Most product is usually offered. And it usually works.

In my case, I got a very early RR UQP from 2QZQ - at a time when the best dimensions hadn't quite been determined. The UQP's width was determined by the fabric bolt size. As such it was more like a spinnaker sail. Pre-Dutchware's acquisition of them, I had 2QZQ, trim maybe 8 inches off the width.

So it has to be airy, but not drag on the ground. Infrastellar seems to have sized it just right (for that particular UQ).

Dutchware said their Banyon UQP will work with the RR too (i.e. "one size fits most"). If you can handle the extra cost - it is a more custom fit (and probably fabric color matching) - WB's RR looks great.

Now if you are considering winter camping - that's probably a thread for the Camping sub-forum. You could post the question - if it's not out there already - "Should I use a UQP, a fill coverage sock, or a tarp with doors. Note that in the winter, snow becomes building material. And you usually have to dig out under your hammock anyway. So instead of a thin silpoly "door", you could make a 10" thick snow wall at each end of your tarp.
    Great info! Thanks that’s exactly what I was in for. i see myself likely going for the WB however now that I know there are more options I will consider that and do some research.

I wouldn’t exactly consider my “winter camping” anything like the folks in the north who are camping out in deep snow with near zero temperatures. As much as I love watching Shug’s subzero videos(a favored pastime) and learning what people carry for that weather, I typically cancel a trip if temperatures are forecasted to be below 15-20°F. I typically go to the Smokies/Blue Ridge Mountains in the winter when there is decent weather forecasted and less snow depth. Most of my gear is rated to 20° and we don’t really get enough snow in the mountains here to be much of an issue. So far the coldest/snowiest outing I’ve had was a Mt LeConte loop where there were 2-3ft drifts
    along the Boulevard trail and significantly less at our campsite. I definitely needed a UQP those nights to knock out the wind a bit but I slept warm thanks to a hot nalgene. That’s about as hardcore as I want to go!

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Sorry for late answers. After some time, winter and summer, 0F and 40F versions. Mine works great. There is no pressure at all on the loft, so no worries about down compression.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    Do you have the dimensions ? Would be interested in making one ��

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Infrastellar - Thanks for sharing the images. I love the matching camo setup. This has been super helpful to see these the UQP's in the wild on the WBRR. Definitely think I'm towards WB's offering.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast