Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I like the approach of a cold-rated UQ, variable TQ, and go-to-ground option. Most of us sleep in a bed year-round, and that's got equate to a high r-value quilt or pad. I don't like the x-lite noise, so my go-to-ground option is either an 8-section z-rest (does multiple duty as leg insulation in hammock with 3/4 length UQ, sit/nap pad, and ground option) or a short Nemo tensor.

And I'm a card-carrying umbrella fan.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    The pad is in the eventuality that I have to stay the night in a shelter or on a hostel floor - I'm hoping that doesn't happen but it's a possibility that it might be wise to be prepared for.
    I followed Frozen's (Outdoor Adventures is his YouTube channel) AT thru hike a couple years ago, and he was able to use his hammock the entire way, with the exception of Smoky Mountain National Park- as they don't allow hammocks there. Hopefully you will only need your pad for that section.

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    with the exception of Smoky Mountain National Park- as they don't allow hammocks there. .

Uh- since when?

As a former thru-hiker and soon be thru-hiker again they do allow hammocks in the Great Smokey Mountains you just have to wait for the shelter to fill up so you can hang or tent out.
    I just might be starting the same time as you but probably in Georgia.
    Ga-Me 2001, 2002, 2003 and made it to Paris burg in 2004 and decided to go home but miss the trail and will try for a fourth time and it had been 18 years since I have been on the trail hope to see you out there.
    EZDOESIT

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Uh- since when?
    My understanding is that if the campsite has a shelter available, thru-hikers are required to sleep inside the shelter- and you aren't allowed to hang a hammock inside the shelter. I've heard others say that there are backcountry sites available where thru-hikers can hammock camp while inside the park. So, I'm sure you can make do with a little extra planning.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Post COVID, they have lifted the shelter requirements. At least that was the case when I called them earlier. You are still required to stay 'near a shelter' and make your reservation, but not required to fill the shelter before camping nearby.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Sadly, due to a change in circumstance and the needs of my hospital, I will not be thru-hiking this year. Some of you already saw me at MAHHA, so you know. I'm planning to bag some sections this year when I can. I'll get the AT hiked one way or another. Priorities change, but the mountains still call.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Sadly, due to a change in circumstance and the needs of my hospital, I will not be thru-hiking this year. Some of you already saw me at MAHHA, so you know. I'm planning to bag some sections this year when I can. I'll get the AT hiked one way or another. Priorities change, but the mountains still call.
    Sorry it didn't work out for you this year but life happens and things change. The trail will always be there.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Sadly, due to a change in circumstance and the needs of my hospital, I will not be thru-hiking this year...
    I hiked the AT in five sections over four years. During a sobo section from Katahdin, thru the 100 mile wilderness, I met a woman hiking nobo who was a day away from Katahdin. She had hiked sections every year for a couple of decades, and was finishing that day!

More than one way to skin a goose …
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Â… he was able to use his hammock the entire way, with the exception of Smoky Mountain National Park- as they don't allow hammocks
    ItÂ’s been a few years Â… 2013, but I hung in the Smokies a couple of times in fell view of a Ridgerunner.

Back then, you could not set up a tent, or hammock, unless the shelter was full. I would generally wait till it was full to stated capacity, then setup.

I still carry an air mattress because there are times I just want to crawl into a shelter and get dry. And there are a few storied hostels with plywood bunks and no mattresses.

ThereÂ’s a thread where a guy is doing the PCT with a hammock, testing TensaÂ’s new trekking treez where part of the frame functions as trekking poles:

https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/tensa-t...v=7516fd43adaa
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123