Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocTheo View Post
    Good to know. I was going off the assumption based off several articles I'd read that there were spots where I might have to crash on floors. I'll certainly be happy to shed that pound of weight!
    As you likely know, there are also gobs and gobs of post-thru hike YT videos with discussions of gear evolution from start to finish. April and May can have some of the most dangerous weather, wet + cold, where clothing management can be quite tricky.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As you likely know, there are also gobs and gobs of post-thru hike YT videos with discussions of gear evolution from start to finish. April and May can have some of the most dangerous weather, wet + cold, where clothing management can be quite tricky.
    The good news for me is that because I'm starting so close to home, my support system will be nearby. I'm planning to have a few things set up as prepackaged for either quick mail drops or for meetups at trail town points if necessary for resupply/change-outs. I might start out with a heavier base layer and switch out as the weather warms up. It was an odd winter this year and it's hard to predict what it will do next year, so I'm certainly keeping options open. My goal is to keep base weight well below 20 pounds but I'm not going to sacrifice safety for it.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Just registered my thru on the AT for next Spring

You could probably drop five pounds and still have “full safety.”

I agree with the others that the neoair is mostly dead weight, but if it gives you peace of mind. You can always mail it home.

The minimo is kinda heavy. You could cut it down with a pocket rocket or BRS and titanium pot.

You could drop the ursack, but that’s another peace of mind thing. Either way 10 liters is looking a little small to me. Especially after the Hunger kicks in.

Overall I think you look fine. You’ll figure so much out on the go that after three or four weeks the things you worried about now will seem silly. Just expect to make changes and go with the flow

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    What do you mean, 'just registered my thru'... can't you just show up at Springer or Katahdin & start a planned thru-hike?

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    What do you mean, 'just registered my thru'... can't you just show up at Springer or Katahdin & start a planned thru-hike?
    Yes, you can. But the Appalachian Trail Conservancy - who is tasked with protecting and conserving the Trail and the surrounding land - asks that thru-hikers register plans so that impacts from overcrowding can be reduced and updates distributed to hikers and future hikers. It's a matter of logistics when thousands of hikers are visiting the Trail every year, and for me it seems to be simple courtesy.

https://appalachiantrail.org/officia...ikers-in-2021/
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good luck and I wish you well. Are you going to VLog your hike by any chance?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For a longer trip I've thought about (but haven't tried much yet) using an insulated pad in my DL hammock (have an Xtherm size L) and to pair it with a lightweight UQ, like a 40 deg, for colder weather. I think that would give the best multi- functionality but save on pack weight. The UQ would be sent home in warmer weather. Not sure how cold the Xtherm will go in the hammock but I did test a Sea- To- Summit insulated ultralight pad with an R- value of 3.4 down to 40 deg which I felt was an absolute lower- limit for me. With the Xtherm R- value of 6.9 I am thinking that this would work for me down to freezing at least, and likely much lower when paired with the 40 deg UQ.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I totally appreciate and identify with the spirit of this question; having to register someplace to go walk in the woods is counter to my nature. However, anything that helps with the management and upkeep of this overstressed resource is welcome.

I've never done a thru of any kind, but a few years ago I decided to hike to Wildcat shelter (SOBO from Elk Pen) in August, at the height of the thru bubble, just to see what it might be like. Whoa, dude! There were about 40-50 people there, and with most of them having more than 1400 miles under their belts at that point, everybody knew to be quiet and respectful, but that is just absolutely not my "scene."

I hiked out with 3 of them who were thinking they would hike thru Harriman and end the day at West Mtn, and I was reticent to ask these trail veterans if they were aware of the elevation change, distance, water and trail conditions (rocky!)... It was a super hot and humid day so they bagged it at Elk Pen and I gave them a ride to a motel in Tuxedo.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DutchWare Half-Zipped (Hexon 1.0)
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQs and TQs
    Suspension
    Huggers w/Whoopies
    Images
    Good to know. I was going off the assumption based off several articles I'd read that there were spots where I might have to crash on floors. I'll certainly be happy to shed that pound of weight!
    I hiked the AT in in five sections over four years. It’s where I adopted hammocks for long distance hiking. I carry a pad for a few reasons. Some hostels have bunks with no mattresses. BYOM! Then there’s those days,when it’s been raining all day, and I get to a shelter, and Injust want to dry off, get into my dry base layer, and set up in a shelter for the night.

As a long time gram weenie, carrying that pad just didn't seem right. But I used it often enough, that I was glad I did. Make sure your pad is rated for the lowest temps you’ll expect.

Have fun, and good luck!

L Dog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    L.Dog
    AT 2000 Miler/ 1752 Hangin' Miles
    Pictures
    Blog
    Pack List

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    OK - my gear list so far:

ULA Ohm 2.0
    TrailHeadz Banshee (1.2 MTN)
    TrailHeadz 0 degree UQ
    TrailHeadz 0 (40) degree TQ - will swap the 0 for the 40 when the weather changes
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Thermarest NeoAir Xlite
    JetBoil MiniMo
    Toaks Ti Long Spoon
    Ursack AllMitey 10L
    Ursack 10L aluminum liner
    Patagonia Down Sweater
    Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z Trekking Poles
    Magellan Quick dry convertible hiking pants (worn)
    REI Sahara wicking T-shirt
    Patagonia Capiline lightweight baselayer pants
    Patagonia Capiline lightweight baselayer shirt
    ExOfficio BugsAway Halo Check Longsleeve Shirt (worn)
    Smartwool PhD medium compression hiking socks (2p)
    UnderArmor TechMesh underwear (2pr)
    Columbia full zip fleece jacket
    Obermeyer No. 4 shell jacket
    Blaze orange merino wool beanie

Some of these have yet to arrive so I haven't gotten a total base weight yet. I'm planning on sleeping in the base layers and only wearing them to hike in if the weather is extremely cold; otherwise I'll be layering with the fleece and the shell.

Enjoy your trip! I went on a hike once it was pretty fun.

From your gear list it seems you may be a little cold natured but if thats what you need to start with bring it. You will likely send some of those items home in the dog days of summer in the mid-atlantic. I used a 50F top quilt from VA to the whites and it suited me well but I am a warm sleeper. I didnt carry a pad and wouldnt if I did the AT again. The shelters are pretty rat infested and usually contain snorers. When I would go to town getting a room at a "nice" hotel over a hostel to get a bed was ok with me but your budget may vary.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast