Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    Im looking to cut some weight for a 60 mile hike late this summer. I am tempted by the Cloud .71 or Hexon 1.0/1.2 hammocks as they would save significant weight, but the UL fabrics dont seem to be available in Wide.

What's the lightest hammock available in Wide fabric?
    What's the lightest weight bug net around? (I'm thinking I could get a netless hammock and use a bottom entry bug net if this saves weight, as zippers are heavy and bulky)

I have a chameleon in 1.6 with whoopies and a net which comes in at 780g / 28oz. Im looking to get that under 20oz ideally.

Thanks!
    Simply said:
    If you can't live with less width:
    As answered by others- the lightest wide fabric available is Mountain 1.2 XL from RBTR at about 67" or a tight 65-66" finished width.
    Raw fabric blank of 11.5' x 5.5'= 63.25/9= 7.02 yards or 8.5 ounces finished plus suspension and what net you'd care to add.

If you can live with a narrower hammock: You can't get anything lighter than 1.6 in wide from Dutch.

But you can stick with Dutch and get a half wit (if you can't go netless and use a headnet with a ball cap).
    hexon 1.2 halfwit posts as 330g which saves you well over half your current weight and at roughly 12 ounces gets you well under your 20oz target.

As you note- cutting convenience (zippers) is low hanging fruit at little functional impact.

From there... you're flirting with Stupid Light territory in looking for marginal savings in fabric.
    While it's easy to say that .71 is .5 ounces lighter than 1.2 ounce fabric and that's a whopping 40% plus savings....

What isn't talked about much is if you can deal with more length and less width.

keeping it simple: length times width= square feet of material used.
    12'x4'= 48
    12'x5'= 60
    11'x5.5'= 60.5
    11x6=66
    (Fer his Shuggeddyness- 9x4= 36 in the hummingbird)

Regardless of material used; using less material weighs less.

Generally- the longer the hammock the less angle you may need (narrower).
    What most agree on- short and narrow sucks.
    11 x 60 is about right- but 11' wides have their place too.

Course many find that the wider hammock comes with a double whammy... you need a wider tarp to cover your increased angle of dangle.
    If you're looking at a DCF tarp with limited 54" panel widths... now you're adding seams in to get the width you need and your problems compound.

So on the long and narrow subject-

You're looking at about (12.5'x4.25' blank) 5.9 yards
    That would be a 6 ounce hammock in your 1.0 fabric of choice or a 7 ounce hammock in 1.2 fabric.

If you're feeling frisky- you can try a .71 ounce cloud for 4.2 ounces.

But if you're feeling a bit Just Billish... you can make a Membrane hammock.
    M10 comes in about .67 ounces or 4 ounces.

Membrane15 would put you in the 5.3 ounce range.
    Personally... the weight, feel, Poly yarn, etc. of this material vs a HyperD 1.0 was never worth a second thought for this application... so call it 5.9 ounces again in Hyper D 1.0 if truth be told.
    While a few mill errors (my opinion) hurt the 1.0 robic... that was really a sweet fabric for this type of use for a 200lb+ fella, but the 1.2 replacement is nicer overall.

And of course if you want a net... a narrower hammock needs a narrower net.
    Though the 1 ounce headnet you might already have in your pack weighs no more if you wear it at night in your netless hammock.
    And a narrow hammock works with a narrow tarp.
    And a nice inline lay generally means less UQ fighting and less overpacking of insulation.

And as a fella recently mentioned... less material weighs less.
    So worth keeping in mind ALL yer material if you want to save some weight.

Also worth keeping in mind that a standard sized snickers bar is about 2 ounces.
    And of course an average bowel movement is in the range of 4-16 ounces.

Course a broken hammock made from too light of a material always weighs at least twice it's weight to pack out as it did to pack in.
    So while numbers are fun... sometimes best to quit while you're ahead afrore you get behind.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Cloud or 1.2xl. They are my go to hammocks for hikes. Cloud for when I put on the miles, 1.2 for easier days. I do baby the Cloud, and sleep better in the wides.
    My diy draped bug net in ns50 is 3 ounces, full coverage. For a commercial product, the HUG is the lightest available, however I am not a fan as it dosent seem to fit where I want it (and it also weights 3 oz in .67)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12