DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images

What's the lightest weight Wide hammock?

Im looking to cut some weight for a 60 mile hike late this summer. I am tempted by the Cloud .71 or Hexon 1.0/1.2 hammocks as they would save significant weight, but the UL fabrics dont seem to be available in Wide.

What's the lightest hammock available in Wide fabric?
    What's the lightest weight bug net around? (I'm thinking I could get a netless hammock and use a bottom entry bug net if this saves weight, as zippers are heavy and bulky)

I have a chameleon in 1.6 with whoopies and a net which comes in at 780g / 28oz. Im looking to get that under 20oz ideally.

Thanks!

MTN XL 1.2 perhaps?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

What's the lightest weight Wide hammock?

Dreamhammock Darien 1.2 MTN is 64” wide , weighs 16 oz with a bugnet.

https://dreamhammock.com/Darien-RTS-...ide-p142097273

Add 2 oz for some lightweight straps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'd definitely contact Simply Light Designs and discuss.

Mtn 1.2 XL is listed as an option for the Tree Runner, which could be paired with a .7 noseeum bottom entry net.

I have a 10'x64" Tree Runner in Hexon 1.6 XL with the .7 net and it is a great combo. The hammock and Kevlar webbing weigh 421g in the stuff sack, and the bottom entry net (also in its stuff sack) weighs 153g for a total of 574g (20.25oz).

So you don't have to go superlight to achieve your 20oz goal!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    What is your weight?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Im 180-185, 6'1"

Comparing the weights cloud is by far a winner. Do you think I could replace some lost width (58" regular/cloud vs 68" wide) with a longer hammock (12' instead of 11?)

I was looking for the Cloud Chameleon but dutch said they're only making them in Netless right now. I might do a Dutch Netless with bottom entry net, which together is 12.6oz plus suspension. Im ordering 12' Spider straps at 3g/ft for sierra tree extenders then will likely recycle my whoopies. Should be able to have the whole setup right around 16-17oz. Nice

the 1.2 is a nice option in the Wide, but when you compare the different fabric weights on dutchware you get the following weights for a netless -
    1.6 = 335g (comparison weight)
    1.2 = 275g (18% savings)
    1.0 = 226g (32% savings)
    .71 = 145g (57% savings)

Cloud is 40% lighter than 1.2 which makes it really tempting. But I didnt like the standard width Sparrow I had, so maybe 1.2 is the best I can do. damm you fabric mills, make 70" UL fabrics!

Can I buy 70" Cloud fabric for a DIY hammock? Or is the fabric simply not available?

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    You have some time until your hike, so best case scenario is that you get to a group hang and try different fabrics to determine how much stretch you might like/dislike between them.

I think you've got some solid recommendations already in this thread to meet your goal.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    And the wide fabrics don't necessarily need to be made into a hammock as wide as the fabric allows. Dutch will cut the Hexon 1.6 down to whatever width you need...I had a Chameleon made 60" wide for instance. A bit of extra room but not as heavy a hammock as a maximum-width wide one would be. SLD and Dream Hammock will cut a wide fabric like MTN 1.2 or HyperD-XL 1.6 down to whatever width you need for that extra little bit of room so as not to feel cramped like some do in a 57-58" wide hammock. I second the suggestion of a DH Darien...lose the zipper on one side for some significant weight savings.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    Im 180-185, 6'1"

Comparing the weights cloud is by far a winner. Do you think I could replace some lost width (58" regular/cloud vs 68" wide) with a longer hammock (12' instead of 11?)

I was looking for the Cloud Chameleon but dutch said they're only making them in Netless right now. I might do a Dutch Netless with bottom entry net, which together is 12.6oz plus suspension. Im ordering 12' Spider straps at 3g/ft for sierra tree extenders then will likely recycle my whoopies. Should be able to have the whole setup right around 16-17oz. Nice

the 1.2 is a nice option in the Wide, but when you compare the different fabric weights on dutchware you get the following weights for a netless -
    1.6 = 335g (comparison weight)
    1.2 = 275g (18% savings)
    1.0 = 226g (32% savings)
    .71 = 145g (57% savings)

Cloud is 40% lighter than 1.2 which makes it really tempting. But I didnt like the standard width Sparrow I had, so maybe 1.2 is the best I can do. damm you fabric mills, make 70" UL fabrics!

Can I buy 70" Cloud fabric for a DIY hammock? Or is the fabric simply not available?
    You CAN buy just the Cloud fabric, or at least you could a couple of months ago (I haven’t checked lately). However, I’d strongly suggest you check out the thread on the vendor’s section and read about it a little more. I bought enough fabric to DIY a cloud hammock with an integrated net, and it’s halfway finished and sitting on a shelf right now. Many failures have been reported that have nothing to do with snagging the fabric, or being rough with it in any way. Made me a little too nervous to continue. I’m glad I’m only out $32 or so, instead of the price of a Chameleon, half-zip, etc. I’m probably going to turn it into a hammock chair.

Just something to think about.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you are willing to have a shorter hammock with a lighter fabric you could get by. Folks keep telling me to try the Hummingbird Hammock.
    https://hummingbirdhammocks.com/products/single-hammock
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast