banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    In a bed, the lay is the same (aside from sagging mattress or some other anomaly!) In a hammock, the pressures of the fabrics are differential depending on body direction, and individuals may prefer/tolerate/need to be in one direction or the other.
    I’m not sure that’s true in a hammock that’s long enough and perfectly hung. If you were to lay me asleep or otherwise unconscious in a hammock, sweet spot, straight body, and blindfolded so I had no way of knowing other than feeling around, and then wake me to ask, I don’t think I could tell whether I was laying left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I’m not sure that’s true in a hammock that’s long enough and perfectly hung. If you were to lay me asleep or otherwise unconscious in a hammock, sweet spot, straight body, and blindfolded so I had no way of knowing other than feeling around, and then wake me to ask, I don’t think I could tell whether I was laying left or right.
    (I had fun imagining being picked up while asleep and being deposited gently in a hammock...)

What I meant was, there may be reasons (bad knee, creaky shoulder, stiff neck, etc.) someone would want to be in one orientation over another. The fabric rises up on either side of us, unlike a mattress, and applies different pressures, depending on the direction of our diagonal.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    In a bed, the lay is the same (aside from sagging mattress or some other anomaly!) In a hammock, the pressures of the fabrics are differential depending on body direction, and individuals may prefer/tolerate/need to be in one direction or the other.

For the record, I'm right handed and lay head right most of the time. Perhaps vendors sell 90% head-left setups because "everyone" thinks that it's the "correct" direction! ("I read it on the internet so it must be true....")
    When I first got into this hammock thing a good friend of mine lent me a good netless symmetrical setup (BIAS weight weenie micro) including everything but TQ, which I already had from ground camping. So I was able to experiment without even knowing about the right/left lay statistical preferences and tried both. Head right just felt far more comfortable.

I also write right-handed and I guess I could force myself to learn to write with my left hand, but why?

Golfer Phil Mickelson is right-handed and plays golf left-handed. I guess he's doing it wrong.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    It’s interesting to read all the why’s and how’s of the left / right lay question.

I’m blind in my left eye and so it just seemed natural to lay head right for easier under tarp vision.

But next time I hang, I’m going to try how the other half hangs.

Edit: not sure it matters, but I’m right handed, I shoot a hockey stick left handed, bat left and golf swing right.

Odd eh?

Might have the makings of a semi-scientific study here. Me:
    Hammock: head left
    Writing: right handed
    Batting: right handed
    Hockey: left handed
    Taco eating: left handed.

I'm serious about the last one. It really does feel more natural and work better.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    My entire family is right-handed, but my father and uncle both did sports left-handed. I used to play softball and tried batting left-handed now and again, just for the heck of it. It actually taught me something that made me better at batting right handed!

I've tried both directions in the hammock, can do either, head right just feels "better" most of the time.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    When I first got into this hammock thing a good friend of mine lent me a good netless symmetrical setup (BIAS weight weenie micro) including everything but TQ, which I already had from ground camping. So I was able to experiment without even knowing about the right/left lay statistical preferences and tried both. Head right just felt far more comfortable.

I also write right-handed and I guess I could force myself to learn to write with my left hand, but why?

Golfer Phil Mickelson is right-handed and plays golf left-handed. I guess he's doing it wrong.
    I’d also had no idea of the statistics (which isn’t unusual). I think I just let my mind decide. Either direction was 100x better than sleeping in the bed I paid $2k for, lol.

If it means anything, I’m semi-ambidextrous. I can’t WRITE anything legible with my left hand, but as a short order cook, I’ve had to learn to use both for efficiency and speed. For example, I can crack an egg one handed with either, or flip them in a pan. But writing? Nope. Still prefer the left hand lay , though. And still prefer my right hand to flip eggs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123