Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Right hand or left hand lay

New guy here. Read a lot of the topics and watched a lot of Shug's and others videos. I've learned a lot and am ready to take the plunge. I was going to start off with an Amazon special until I read about the buy once, cry once attitude. I'm really liking Hammock Gears' kit with the the hammock, bug net, tarp and UQ and TQ. for $499. Do they ever run any discounts, say for upcoming Memorial Day?

Another nagging question is about right or left lay. Which way is best? I'm right handed if that helps to know. My concern is for sort of working out of the hammock on cold mornings, like laying there and making coffee in the morning or reaching into the backpack or something. Dream Hammock says they sell 92% Right Lay hammocks. If I "right lay", I'd be reaching over my body to fiddle with the pot/stove, etc. Is that an issue, or should I go with left lay?

Thanks everyone,
    Craig

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So for most right handed people they lay with their head to the left and feet to the right. Again thats just the general trend, there is no incorrect lay, its all just personal preference. You could always go with an symmetrical hammock and then not have to worry about it! Lots of people prefer that so they can switch back and forth at night however they see fit. Dream Hammocks make some, I believe Warbonnet and others do as well.

Just remember switching to hammocks takes a while! You wont get a perfect hang the first time, but once you do there is no going back!
    Last edited by sideshowraheem; 05-19-2021 at 19:26.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I despise this answer as it is completely unhelpful, but this is something that you just need to try for yourself. I lay hear right/feet left and decided that after ordering a symmetrical Chameleon and trying both way. Feet left just felt right for me.

There is no correlation that I am aware of.

That said, if they really sell 90+% head left/feet right, there is a 90% chance that's what you'll prefer.

Now that you ask though, I'm trying a Head Left lay next time im out. Havent tried it since I decided I was Head Right

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    HammockGear 's hammock is a symmetrical gathered-end design so you can lay to either side until you find your groove.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The way you sleep at night does not have to be the way you lay in the hammock to fix breakfast. I’m lucky; my body doesn’t care. It just wants to be off my feet and snuggly warm. I can do that head left or right. Yes, some hammock are cut for a specific “lie”, but most are not. Ask yourself this - does it matter if your head is at one end of your bed or the other? Or try lying diagonally on your bed - one night left to right, the next, right to left. This “lie” issue is something only you can answer for you.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-20-2021 at 17:38.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    In my inexpert opinion, I think the others are right, until you know what you prefer, symmetrical might be the way to go. Personally, I’m right handed and lay with my head to the right and feet to the left, but I’ve always been a little backwards. If it helps, my first hammock was an Amazon special, and I don’t regret it. For $30, I really got a better idea about what I like and don’t like before I began investing more of my time and money.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm also right handed and have a very strong preference for head right. Head left for me just feels... Yuk. Weird. Discombobulated.

BUT, it is true that you won't know 'til you try!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks for the answers. I guess symmetrical is the way to start and I can see what I prefer.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by woodlecj View Post
    Thanks for the answers. I guess symmetrical is the way to start and I can see what I prefer.
    You’ll probably end up with more than one hammock anyway. It seems to be the nature of these things

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I got a Dream Hammock asymmetrical just for these reasons. If I happen to sleep on my side and not my back (like I turned in my sleep), I sleep on my left side. So a traditional hammock that means the fabric is right in my face, which causes me to wake up. With the asymmetrical, I don't have that type of issue, awake with fabric? Scoot to the other side and right back to sleep.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast