Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The one premise that I have learned about hammocks: you don't know until you try it out! I'm a 100% side sleeper in a bed and I was concerned when I tried a hammock the first time. No issues. I sleep wonderfully in a hammock on my hammock. I've now learned to sleep a little on my back in a bed. I have a traditional XLC which is head left, feet right. I sleep really well that way. I bought a simple, gathered-end Dutchware hammock for the Winter when I don't need a bug net. I've found that I use it both ways with equal levels of comfort. The hammock bodies (at least the XLC) is symmetrical and it just relates to the spacing of the bug net and it doesn't matter. I've even slept comfortably in my XLC the opposite way cause the bug net spacing doesn't bother me.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Right hand or left hand lay

I used to believe that lay preference was immutable, like handedness (though not correlated to handedness). For many years I could sleep only head-left. Then out of boredom/curiousity I tried the other way. At first it felt all wrong, but keeping at it, that changed. Now i can go back and forth either way: it’s totally fine. I think it’s just a habit that asymmetric bugnets (hammocks themselves are almost all symmetrical) reinforce, that people falsely assume is a fixed physiological trait.

I bet that anybody lacking some true physical anomaly can lay either way equally well with a little practice. So: don’t sweat it. Asymmetric bugnets should be a hair lighter than symmetric, and maybe easier to keep out of your face, all else equal.

What took me longer to get used to was laying initially with my feet farther from the entry side than my head. Approximately 99.998% of the time (full-timer over 8 years) i would lay with my head opposite the enter/exit side. Sit down, pivot ~60°, lay back. Then I got a WB BB XLC whose shelf configuration pretty much forces you to swing your legs to the far side, pivoting ~120°, head at entry. Man that felt weird! Will I ever get those extra degrees back?! For a whole 5 times, I protested. Now I no longer notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 05-20-2021 at 14:22.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    I used to believe that lay preference was immutable, like handedness (though not correlated to handedness). For many years I could sleep only head-left. Then out of boredom/curiousity I tried the other way. At first it felt all wrong, but keeping at it, that changed. Now i can go back and forth either way: it’s totally fine. I think it’s just a habit that asymmetric bugnets (hammocks themselves are almost all symmetrical) reinforce, that people falsely assume is a fixed physiological trait.

I bet that anybody lacking some true physical anomaly can lay either way equally well with a little practice. So: don’t sweat it. Asymmetric bugnets should be a hair lighter than symmetric, and maybe easier to keep out of your face, all else equal.

What took me longer to get used to was laying initially with my feet farther from the entry side than my head. Approximately 99.998% of the time (full-timer over 8 years) i would lay with my head opposite the enter/exit side. Sit down, pivot ~60°, lay back. Then I got a WB BB XLC whose shelf configuration pretty much forces you to swing your legs to the far side, pivoting ~120°, head at entry. Man that felt weird! Will I ever get those extra degrees back?! For a whole 5 times, I protested. Now I no longer notice.

That’s probably true. I’ve always thought my head right preference has something psychological to do with being farther away from the entrance. I could *possibly* train myself to switch directions... but unless I had a good reason, I wouldn’t want to. But I’m also a little OCD.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I’m pretty consistent about head right; I have one asym UQ, so definitely have to stick with that orientation when I’m using that one. I picked that side because that’s the side of the bed I sleep on at home, I think. It’s pretty arbitrary, though.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    That’s probably true. I’ve always thought my head right preference has something psychological to do with being farther away from the entrance. I could *possibly* train myself to switch directions... but unless I had a good reason, I wouldn’t want to. But I’m also a little OCD.
    That is a good point.

OK maybe I could force myself to switch but that would entail ditching (or at least swapping) the asym integrated net hammocks and changing several routines.

I am totally comfortable, am not a flip-flopper, have no calf ridge problem, have no need for a pillow, have no issues with net dangling on my face and have my entire process dialed in so that setup is pretty quick. I even have the little ridgeline organizer set up with the pockets on the right.

So there's no compelling reason to do so.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That is a good point.

OK maybe I could force myself to switch but that would entail ditching (or at least swapping) the asym integrated net hammocks and changing several routines.

I am totally comfortable, am not a flip-flopper, have no calf ridge problem, have no need for a pillow, have no issues with net dangling on my face and have my entire process dialed in so that setup is pretty quick. I even have the little ridgeline organizer set up with the pockets on the right.

So there's no compelling reason to do so.
    Just thinking, of course, but in the context of a new hanger (since I’m relatively new, myself), I think it’d be much easier than adapting once you’ve already found your “groove.” I started with a symmetrical Amazon special, and head right is what I ended up gravitating to. If I’d had an asym that was head left when I first started out, then I’d probably be sleeping head left right now and not think twice about it. I’d still recommend symmetrical though.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    It took exactly one try for me to realize I can only lay head left. Can't stand head right.

Hammock
    Towns end, WBRR
    Tarp
    Mini/thunder, ugq
    Insulation
    AHE,zenbivy,JRB,HG
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy chain
    Just like hang Williams above it took me exactly 1 try as well. Although I’m the exact opposite. I’m right handed and can only lay head right. Like you, I opted for the bugnetted hg hammock, that way you can’t go wrong.
    kris

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    What would happen if you laid on a bed, head left, feet right and then someone slowing rotated the bed. Would there be a point where you would no longer feel right? Just trying to understand what must be a sensitivity to magnetic lines of force.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    What would happen if you laid on a bed, head left, feet right and then someone slowing rotated the bed. Would there be a point where you would no longer feel right? Just trying to understand what must be a sensitivity to magnetic lines of force.
    In a bed, the lay is the same (aside from sagging mattress or some other anomaly!) In a hammock, the pressures of the fabrics are differential depending on body direction, and individuals may prefer/tolerate/need to be in one direction or the other.

For the record, I'm right handed and lay head right most of the time. Perhaps vendors sell 90% head-left setups because "everyone" thinks that it's the "correct" direction! ("I read it on the internet so it must be true....")

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast