Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping

Camping

I haven't set up a hammock before but what tree straps/suspension system would be good for a lightweight camping hammock?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    So, as you might expect if you’ve read much on these forums, the answer is complicated. The lightest option I know of is single-layer tree-huggers (these come in a variety of materials, but make sure they’re at least 1” wide, unless you’re in a state that requires 2” straps), to which you connect Whoopie slings on a Marlinspike hitch. Be sure to put the line on the knot, not the toggles. Some people prefer to skip the whoopies, use longer straps, and attach them directly to the hammock with a Becket hitch; I haven’t done that, so can’t speak to weight and difficulty. A lot of people like daisy chains because they’re extremely easy and very entry-level (I started with them), but the double layer makes them heavier. I usually use cinch buckles, which involve longer tree straps with a short connection to the hammock’s continuous loops; I find that easier than dealing with the marlinspike hitch, and I’m heavy enough that I’ve had some issues with whoopies slipping (though I actually re-spliced one set, that had a shockingly short bury). Like most backpacking equipment, the more you pay the less you get, in the sense that there are some pretty high-tech fibers used in tree straps, and a variety of titanium hardware, but they cost more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I like the simplicity of using two, 12 foot straps, 1 inch wide then attaching them to hammock loops with Beckett Hitches as Ralaad mentioned. Just remember when we talk of "straps" they are webbing that has a loop sewn in one end. That loop is used to attach the strap to the tree. The simplest method is just wrapping around the tree then running the strap through the loop. The downside to that is it is harder to adjust and the strap cannot be removed from the tree without removing it from the hammock first. Many of us like to use some kind of device that allows us to disconnect the strap-some use a carabiner, I use a device called Evo Loops.

A "hugger" is webbing that has loops sewn on both ends and used for other types of suspensions that I've never used and can offer no input.

Should you decide to go the strap/Beckett route, be careful about getting the superultralight straps as they can be difficult to keep flat. They are crazy light, but many of us would rather carry a couple extra ounces to get something that's a bit easier to use. I find the Dutchware Poly/Spider straps to be a great compromise between weight and ease of use.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and check out Shug Emery's Youtube channel for answers to this and all your other hammock questions and feel free to post here as well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 05-18-2021 at 14:18.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Many options on suspensions. I did videos on most if you want to take a gander.....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    I'm a fan of tree strap/Whoopie slings.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Personally, I've gone to tree straps with figure 8 loops and descender rings on the trees and a 1-sided ucr that runs from hammock to near tree, across to far tree for tarp Ridgeline and then back to far side of hammock. I have a structured ridgeline that stays on the hammock. This allows me to get up to about probably 30' between trees before the sag/stretch of the amsteel blue puts me on the ground (for those who say it doesn't stretch, fine, call it whatever you want, I wind up lower on the morning after the first night). This way I carry a single rope and while its longer than 2 separate ends I find it less fiddly, has the tarp Ridgeline already integrated, and more importantly (at least for me) when I get in my hammock it actually pulls my tarp more taught instead of creating sag. Tarp is held by a prussik with tiny s-biner on each end, but all the weight is supported by the ridgeline. Probably not a setup for the gram weenies, but it works for me. Besides, if your packs too heavy, you're not carrying it enough. One way or the other that situation works itself out I've found, lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've been using this simple, lightweight (77g/2.7oz total) setup for years.

Kevlar 3.3 webbing, attach to tree with Evo loop, to hammock CL with Lapp hitch.

Lightweight_suspension01_SMALL.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    For a complete newbie setup, Eno Atlas straps and a couple of 'biners are a simple, foolproof, inexpensive way to start.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    As you can tell from the various posts and Shug's videos, there are any number of ways to suspend a hammock. Everyone hangs their own hang and what constitutes perfection for one person isn't ideal for another.

One incredibly important lesson I've learned over the years is that once you catch the hammock bug, you rarely remain satisfied with what you start with. As time and finances allow, you're likely to find yourself experimenting with different hammocks, suspensions, insulation and other gear. When just starting out, it's easy to get overwhelmed with your options. If one simply accepts that as a given, then it becomes easier to filter your "starting out" choices. Go with what you already have first. Then buy the cheapest and easiest or most appealing things that you don't have and don't worry too much about what it is that you're buying. The goal is simply to get something, ANYTHING, and just get out and hang. If you catch the bug to stay in the air, the rest will work itself out over time and eventually you'll figure out what works best for you.

So, bottom line for your suspension ... pick whatever you want and give it a go!

Unless you are a gram-counting, ultralight backpacker (I admit to the proclivity), no commonly-used suspension approach is going to be particularly heavy. I do agree with deadeye that daisy chain suspensions (like Atlas straps) are a simple, foolproof, readily-available option to get you in the woods quickly. But if you like the sound of straps and buckles, or whoopie slings, or a knots-only approach, or whatever, then just take the dive. The learning curve is really not that high for any option and like I said, you'll probably wind up trying out other options eventually anyway.

Welcome to the forum and life above the ground!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Thanks everyone. When I looked up some straps on Amazon, it was scary to see the 1 star reviews reporting their straps fraying or snapping. For each product, it was a small percentage of reviewers, but still, it made me want to really do my homework.
    I'll check out the Shug Emery YouTube channel and afterwards re-read your posts.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just to add confusion to things.

I use parnell Purcell in place of whoopie sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast