Hammock in Gazebo

I'd like to install a hammock in a gazebo. Ideally I wouldn't have to drill into the poles. I've added a picture below. Would I be able to use tree straps/suspension system and if so, which kind would be best to use?
    I've looked into various tree straps online but inevitably when you look at the one star reviews, you see people whose straps have broken or ripped.
    If I do end up having to drill, what bolts/hooks/size should I use? The poles are about 3 1/2 X 4 1/2 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    There are a variety of products that pair some sort of stout metal loop with a long heavy bolt; I have some screwed into support uprights in my screen room, and they seem to work well. Mine came from Wise Owl, and I think they’re a copy of something Eno used to sell. They would be less visible than tree straps when the hammock was removed (especially if you painted them white), and it would be easy enough to run whoopie slings from them. Beware, however, that hammocks put much more lateral stress than the uprights are probably designed for — somewhere high up on these poles would probably get some lateral support from above, but make sure you think about the sideways stresses on the uprights. People sinking poles into their yards to hang hammocks from use way larger poles for that reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images
    I use 1/4" eye-bolts inside and outside, and those have worked fine for years.

You will still need strap to get from the bolt to the hammock though. Regular hardware store 1" poly webbing will be just fine. You don't need fancy.

The bigger issue is making sure your structure will withstand the force. It can potentially pull out of square or deflect. A solid support beam going above where you want to hang the hammock will fix that. Then the beam takes the stress.

There are a few other threads you can search for about this same topic. You can look those up and see how people solved the same issues.

welcome to the forum

leiavoia and raladd give wise advice: the structure is your first concern now, the bolts/straps are the least of your worries. i'd agree at the very least get a reinforcing beam on the top, under the roof, that would take the horizontal forces of the hammock. once you're confident you fixed that, test with a dead weight first (no need even for hammock, just some rope and a 100kg weight or so will be easy to rig up as a "remote hoist" so you can test it, and not be under the roof for the first tries. if you happen to have a friend who's savvy about structural engineering, ask them for some help, this stuff is often a lot less obvious than it seems (there's good reason these people go to school for a few years)

once that's sorted, there's plenty of options, but i would avoid using straps or rope going around rectangular profile pillars (that will diminish the strength of whatever rope or strap you're using by a non trivial amount, and would also cause it to wear much faster), so most likely some sturdy bolts into the beams, perhaps consider two smaller ones on each side, load balanced, instead of one bigger one (though for a setup like this, that's semi-permanent, i'd go for three, and what the heck, make them big ones ).

given you might not have any experience with camping style suspension systems and tree straps (correct me if that's wrong), unless you're interested to get into hammock camping as such, i'd stay away from that stuff for now: it will be nifty, relatively light, versatile, in other words too complicated and expensive for the purpose. as you have no trees here to protect, just a man made structure, i'd get some good quality clearly rated bolts (estimated load they are expected to be used for), some hardware that's also marked and rated (like stainless steel quick links you find in most hardware stores), and some climbing rated static rope (again, you can find it in hardware stores, they are usually about 10mm double braided and rated for around 2000kg or so), all this stuff is actually quite cheap, trustworthy, and is easy to make work for your specific needs with just a few well placed knots.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There was a recent post about hanging in a gazebo. Like that post, your gazebo seems to be just sitting on the ground; i.e., no concrete footers, and those posts look pretty flimsy too (I wouldn't hang on anything less than a 6 x 6).

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...enough-to-hang

I wouldn't hang from that gazebo if my life depended on it!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don’t think this can emphasized enough - structural things are designed for anticipated forces. The vertical beams and geometry of the gazebo are designed to take a downward compression force of the roof. Not a horizontal (Shear Force) pull. You can accommodate that IF you can reinforce the vertical beams at the top with a horizontal beam going across, between them. AND also assure the bottom of the vertical beam is securely anchored - preferably IN concrete, not held by some little metal flange.

I am NOT a structural engineer and I’m not saying the adjustments I’ve suggested above will make it safe. I’m saying those are things you should look at and, if possible, for peace of mind and maybe legal liability, have a builder sign off on your modifications.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcald1 View Post
    The poles are about 3 1/2 X 4 1/2 inches.
    By the way, the posts are 4 x 4's (3.5 x 3.5 inches), with a 1-inch board nailed onto the exterior. The one-inch board probably doesn't add any structural strength. I don't think anybody recommends hanging from 4 x 4 posts, especially if they aren't buried and cemented in the ground.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Are they solid lumber or are they hollow posts (created with 3/4" lumber)??

A hollow post would be an absolute NO, you cannot hang there! But at that size, even if solid lumber, needs reinforcement, as noted by others above.

@P-Dub, I don't know if they're hollow.

Thanks everyone. I also started to suspect as much -- it's probably structurally inadequate for a safe hammock installation, for the various reasons described above. I think what I'll do is get a hammock stand. That will be much better for my peace of mind!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Something to consider: A chain link fence top rail can alleviate a lot of the suspension stresses. I've used the method in this link for many years - simple to put up and take down. The end not shown is held up with a 'Turtle Dog Stand" 2x2 tri-pod or a step ladder. Each end of the top rail has 1/2 your weight pulling straight down.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts