Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compression and length - advice please.

Long time backpacker, the hammocking bug has bitten me!

Three questions: 1) I am 5’ 6” and 175 pounds, should I buy a top quilt that measures 66”? 2) looking hard at total Simply Light Designs purchase - Trail Lair and the synthetic 20 degree underquilt/tarp protector plus a synthetic top quilt of 30 degrees, will that combination fill my Olm 2.0 backpack to the brim or will they compress sufficiently? 3) Would I be better off with a down top quilt? Your advice appreciated, Butch.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I can’t speak of the pack capacity issue, since I don’t have synthetic quilts, but I’m 5’5 1/2 (the 1/2 is important), so 65.5.” I made my last quilt, shooting for around that mark, and after losing some length due to down loft, it’s 63” fully lofted, and plenty long enough for me. Short answer is it depends on whether or not you need to pull it over your head. I don’t ever sleep this way, so a quilt that reaches my eyeballs is fine for me. Also consider that a drawstring foot box will eat up 6”-8” of length, IIRC.

I live in a very humid part of the country (as do you), so I should’ve probably gone with synthetic. However, I personally chose down for weight and compressibility.
    Last edited by AmberG; 05-17-2021 at 15:23.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Oh, and welcome! I was bitten a year ago, myself. Sorry, it’s incurable.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Just looking at the basic numbers, the main bag on the Ohm 2 is about 34L and the other pockets fill out the 63L total. Two synthetic quilts of 20deg and 30deg rating with 15-20D (argon 90/ion) shells are going gobble up a lot of space. Maybe you can hammer them down but it's going to require a compression stuff sack, and Climashield isn't meant to be smooshed down super hard. Synthetics lose their loft a lot (lot!) quicker than down. I have a 20deg CS TQ (EE Enigma) and even with a 10D shell it's quite a beast, so it's more for the winter car emergency kit than a backpacking quilt.

Unless you're live or frequently travel somewhere with constantly high humidity and cool/cold—think PNW most of the year—I'd advise going with down all around, and thin shell material... 10D or 7D... especially with today's DWR-treated down, which performs far better in soggy weather than non-treated down. I was skeptical of this stuff early on but I have some DWR down quilts that I've used quite a bit over a few years, so I'm sold.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thank you. I believe I will get 66” and wear down hood.

You convinced me - will rethink the down option. Thank you for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just looking at the basic numbers, the main bag on the Ohm 2 is about 34L and the other pockets fill out the 63L total. Two synthetic quilts of 20deg and 30deg rating with 15-20D (argon 90/ion) shells are going gobble up a lot of space. Maybe you can hammer them down but it's going to require a compression stuff sack, and Climashield isn't meant to be smooshed down super hard. Synthetics lose their loft a lot (lot!) quicker than down. I have a 20deg CS TQ (EE Enigma) and even with a 10D shell it's quite a beast, so it's more for the winter car emergency kit than a backpacking quilt.

Unless you're live or frequently travel somewhere with constantly high humidity and cool/cold—think PNW most of the year—I'd advise going with down all around, and thin shell material... 10D or 7D... especially with today's DWR-treated down, which performs far better in soggy weather than non-treated down. I was skeptical of this stuff early on but I have some DWR down quilts that I've used quite a bit over a few years, so I'm sold.

What quilt mfg would you recommend (other than EE)?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
    What quilt mfg would you recommend (other than EE)?
    HammockGear Premium with Argon67 shell material. Good stuff.

Also I recently got a UGQ Bandit and it is great. 10D/950FP ain't cheap, I'll warn ya! BUT, you'll thank yourself every time you use it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast