WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch

Dyneema Tarp with Split-Beaks?

I absolutely love my Warbonnet MiniFly Tarp. I'm looking for a Dyneema Tarp that is built similarly. I've found Dyneema hex tarps, and ones with full doors. Does anyone know of any Dyneema tarps with the short partial doors ("split- beaks")?
    Thanks!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I haven’t seen any, but I’m sure I know less about what’s out there than others do. I’ve got a 11’ DCF rectangle tarp, so I can “create” doors, but I’ve thought about buying a door add-on kit, or even buying a yard or two of DCF and trying to DIY some kind of beak or mini doors. I’m sure I could create them, but less sure I could successfully add them to my tarp. I know that probably doesn’t help much.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think there's much incentive for DCF tarp makers to offer short partial doors. For example, an 11 ft. Warbonnet Minifly in 20D Silpoly is 11.75 ounces, whereas an 11 ft. HG DCF Winter Palace with doors is 9.14 ounces. Cuben fiber is so light that you can have full doors for just an ounce or two. It just wouldn't make sense to offer different styles like Warbonnet does because the weight savings are negligible.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't think there's much incentive for DCF tarp makers to offer short partial doors. For example, an 11 ft. Warbonnet Minifly in 20D Silpoly is 11.75 ounces, whereas an 11 ft. HG DCF Winter Palace with doors is 9.14 ounces. Cuben fiber is so light that you can have full doors for just an ounce or two. It just wouldn't make sense to offer different styles like Warbonnet does because the weight savings are negligible.
    If a reputable company made a Thunderfly or Mountainfly size tarp in DCF, I'd be selling my Palace to get one. It's not just about weight vs the Palace. I just like how the beak doors work compared to traditional doors on the Palace. I like being able to enter and exit more easily with doors deployed. I also like how the DCF doesn't retain as much water as silnyln or silpoly. Sure, I'd give up a bit of ground coverage but I'm probably going to carry my UQP when it gets really cold and windy to protect against the mist/condensation etc.
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 05-18-2021 at 06:43.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Exactly! I like the partial doors, and it's not about the weight. But I do want the weight savings of the Dyneema over my MiniFly.
    I hadn't even thought about why I wasn't finding any, but that makes sense, because I guess most people would opt for the full doors for so little weight penalty.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainFeist View Post
    I absolutely love my Warbonnet MiniFly Tarp. I'm looking for a Dyneema Tarp that is built similarly. I've found Dyneema hex tarps, and ones with full doors. Does anyone know of any Dyneema tarps with the short partial doors ("split- beaks")?
    Thanks!
    Never heard of short or split-break doors. Got an image or link?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Joe, see the WarBonnet MountainFly, ThunderFly, and MiniFly here: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ategory/tarps/

Note that the “doors” at the ends do not come all the way to the ground. Also they are “split” that there are two pieces at each tarp end - one for each side/end of the tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Joe, see the WarBonnet MountainFly, ThunderFly, and MiniFly here: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...ategory/tarps/

Note that the “doors” at the ends do not come all the way to the ground. Also they are “split” that there are two pieces at each tarp end - one for each side/end of the tarp.

We used to rig our square canvas tarps under huge Spruce trees like that, and sleep on a cowboy roll. Kept the weather out if the wind did not shift too much.

Loose a lot of available space, and would require aluminum poles. Good on horseback circa late 1960's. A scant 45-lb weight penalty.

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

• + New Posts