WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl

UQ suspension on 12’ hammock

So my brand new HG Phoenix Econ arrived today, and I can’t wait to get a chance to use it (he says just as it’s starting to warm up for serious). I was testing it out with my 12’ netless, though, and it feels like the shock cords on the main and secondary suspension really are set for an 11’ hammock (and I’m sure will work great on my 11’ integrated-net hammock). Is there a trick people usually use to adjust the fit to a longer hammock? I have cord loops on each end that I’ve used to adapt short quilts, but I have to wonder if there’s a better way that someone out there knows about. The 12’ is a Dutchware netless, if that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use 10' (mostly) and 11' hammocks and find the transition easy... just tighten or loosen the primary suspension with linelocs as needed to get the same 'lift' of hammock+TQ, and maybe (although usually not) adjust the end channels a bit.

This works for me without using quilt hooks or other methods to keep quilts in place. Maybe the occasional tug to reposition or tweak things, but no biggie.

With 'shortie' type UQs it really does help, however, to bias the head side primary suspension toward the head and foot side suspension toward the feet. Depending on your height, you might be able to get darn near complete coverage with a Phoenix because you're maximizing the diagonal dimension.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    My hammocks are all diy from 4yds of material, untrimmed. So they end up around 12' but I've never bothered to measure. My Phoenix& others quirk perfectly, no issues. You should be fine.

And I use no other hardware, etc to get a perfect fit.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    So that much tension on the shock cords doesn’t cause trouble? Alas, I’m too tall to get foot coverage on the diagonal in a Phoenix, but I have a good foot pad.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    So that much tension on the shock cords doesn’t cause trouble? Alas, I’m too tall to get foot coverage on the diagonal in a Phoenix, but I have a good foot pad.

In a word, no... at least not for me, although I've read of complaints from some folks.

My go-to on this is Shug's video on Incubator adjustment, but everything applies to shorties as well. Again, my experience.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-17-2021 at 07:29.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In a word, no... at least not for me, although I've read of complaints from some folks.

My go-to on this is Shug's video on Incubator adjustment, but everything applies to shorties as well. Again, my experience.

There he goes making part of his post secret from us android Tapatalk users.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raladd View Post
    So my brand new HG Phoenix Econ arrived today, and I can’t wait to get a chance to use it (he says just as it’s starting to warm up for serious). I was testing it out with my 12’ netless, though, and it feels like the shock cords on the main and secondary suspension really are set for an 11’ hammock (and I’m sure will work great on my 11’ integrated-net hammock). Is there a trick people usually use to adjust the fit to a longer hammock? I have cord loops on each end that I’ve used to adapt short quilts, but I have to wonder if there’s a better way that someone out there knows about. The 12’ is a Dutchware netless, if that matters.

You could add a loop of shockcord to the existing shock cord. About 9" to a foot. Larkshead it on and try from there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I have a room spanning hammock at home and use a normal summer weight underquilt with it.

I've extended adjusted the underquilt suspension by making cuts a couple of feet from the hammock end on the right hand side. I make a bowline on the short end, and attach the other end to it via a prusik. This "other end" is extended by connecting more shock cord.

The underquilt suspension is now adjustable - to the point where I can loosen it so that it hangs below the hammock and off to the side when I want some air. I can make this adjustment while I'm laying in the hammock.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    There he goes making part of his post secret from us android Tapatalk users.
    Sorry, fixed it in the original post above!

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    These are all great suggestions! The suspension on our underquilts is designed for 11 ft hammocks, so all you'd really need to do is extend that shock cord a little bit to connect it to the ends of your hammock.
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast