Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images

Hammock Gear - Economy Compressability

I was using my 0 degree set so “the big ones”. In winter, the pack I use is an old Osprey Ather 70 and I used to pack it full for 1 or 2 winter overnights - 30 to 40lbs easy. These days, and using new packing strategies, I’ve got the winter overnight weight to 25lbs including the 5lb osprey. I think I could downsize to a 50L pack and be good. A lot of trial and error and experimentation but it’s getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by robfishman; 05-14-2021 at 16:09.
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Suspension
    Experimenting :D
    Quote Originally Posted by robfishman View Post
    I was using my 0 degree set so “the big ones”. In winter, the pack I use is an old Osprey Ather 70 and I used to pack it full for 1 or 2 winter overnights - 30 to 40lbs easy. These days, and using new packing strategies, I’ve got the winter overnight weight to 25lbs including the 5lb osprey. I think I could downsize to a 50L pack and be good. A lot of trial and error and experimentation but it’s getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow nice. I was hoping I could get away with a 35L. using 20° quilts and for just an overnighter, I might be able to. I'll have to expirement a bit and see what I can swing. Thanks for the feedback.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    I can compress my quilts much more than I do, but intentionally let them take up as much room in my 60L pack as I can, compressing them only enough to fit the rest of my crap in the bag. My 20/20 combo + Chameleon in the SLD slug tube takes up half my main body on a GG Mariposa 60. I think the main pack is ~36L so I give my hammock, 20/20 quilts, and sleep clothes almost 18L space. My 30/40 setup is a little smaller, maybe 12-15L. All are 20D Econ.

I could compress them quite a bit more, but why bother? Its probably worse for the down over many years, but im sure there are people who do it without issue.

Im looking for 10D quilts to reduce the packed size, but nothing is for sale 2nd hand right now.
    This is why I try to convince backpackers to get 10D right out of the gate. Many times I've seen folks selling 20D to replace with 10D, but the reverse is quite rare.

7D is a bit different story because although I have a couple of them I don't have enough experience with them yet. So far so good, thankfully!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    I was wondering the SAME THING for my 850 premium UQ/TQ. I wanted waterproof stuff & compression sacks for mine so I purchased sea to summit ultrasil waterproof sack. To determine the size I added the HG recommended sack size together and used STS guide and utilized that. I just compress as tightly I can, but only at the last minute to pack it, and then I set up the hammock and unstuff the two as soon as a I can to let them puff up. I had no issues for a 3 day trip with them fluffing right back up, but I guess I hadn't considered damaging the down by "over stuffing"

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    What is the difference between the 10D and 20D? I am looking to upgrade my HG TQ with a lighter temp and to their 950 line but forgot about the question of the material

Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    What is the difference between the 10D and 20D? I am looking to upgrade my HG TQ with a lighter temp and to their 950 line but forgot about the question of the material

10D is roughly 0.65 oz per sq/yard

20D is roughly 1.10 oz per sq/yard

Essentially there is almost the same fabric in one 20D quilt to make 2 10D quilts.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    10D compresses a LOT smaller than 20D, and of course it's considerably lighter. Important if you're involved in backpacking or other self-propelled adventures where space and weight are concerns.

I once bought a second-hand 20D quilt and forgot to ask about the shell material so I got a somewhat expensive object lesson on the topic.

There are occasionally discussions about wind permeability, heat retention etc with the thinner materials but these have not been issues for me. Durability is also a common question, however I've used 10D quilts for a decade now with no problems, and 7D the past couple of years and nothing negative to report.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I would have thought that the rating of the down would have a much greater impact of compressibility than the shell material. 950 vs 850 seems more a gain in compressibility than 10D vs 20D. Is that not the case?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12